Anyone have complications in a previous childbirth? *LONG*

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Bama08mommy4's Avatar Regular
(I am definitley NOT making this post to scare the new mommas!)
Please don't worry or be fearful about being in labor! My first
3 labors and deliveries were *THE* most amazing thing I'd
ever expierienced.

However -- with my last baby... I had alot of complications
during my labor and delivery. The nurses (3 different ones) never
picked up my contractions on the monitor so they were never
actually sure if I was in actual labor until I was in sooo much pain
I made them check my cervix again, and I'd went from 3cm to 10 in
less than an hour. It was SO horrifying to know that I had to push
out Caden, naturally, with no epidural or drugs! I lived....

But afterwards, I bled way way too much. They couldn't get me
to stop bleeding and I had to be rushed to the O.R. and have an
emergency D and C. Which only scared me so much because I
could see the worrisome look on my OB and nurses faces.
After that, I had to have a blood transfusion because I lost so
much blood. Which was kind of freaky to know they were putting
2 pints of someone elses blood into MY body.

Anyways.... I said after I had my last baby (4 months ago) there
wouldn't be anymore for me, because of how things went down
in labor with him, but HERE I am!

I guess I'm just looking for some peace and reassurance everything will be okay.
From everything I've read, I know if the D & C doesn't work, they will perform a
hysterectomy to stop the bleeding. I've
also read that the hysterectomy is the LAST option they have to
stop the bleeding, so THEN what? lol

I know plenty of people have complications during labor, but go on to have more
children and perfectly fine labor and deliveries. Has anyone else had complications
previously and are dealing with anxiety or trouble thinking about going through
all of it again???

(and please don't let this scare any of you new mommas!!!)
March 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My was concerning a c/s but it still scared me. My first c/s went perfectly smooth and I had no fear when I was to have my 2nd.
When I was on the OR table and they were doing my spinal, the drug guy, that I refer to as QUACK, kept missing and my legs would jump, my arm twitch, my whole body shake, over and over until he finally got the right spot.
Then, they were checking to see if I was numb and I said ouch. I could feel them pinching me. All of a sudden there was a mask over my face and I was asking what they were doing. The guy said, we have to put you under. I FREAKED out and cried and tried so hard to get that mask off of my face, without the use of my arms. (They strap down your arms for a c/s).
I remember hearing these far off very faint cries, and then I woke up to the Dr calling my name. I realized later, it was Emily I was hearing cry, when they took her out.
After, I got spinal headaches that are HORRIBLE. You have to lay totally flat, and keep your lights off. They are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE migraines, way worse than any normal migraines. The "fix" for this is to have a blood tap, where they take blood from the arm and put it in the spinal spot on your back. UMMMM NOOOO!! They were NOT going near my spine again, NO WAY!!! So I suffered with these headaches for a week, which makes it really hard to enjoy your new baby.

Then I had a m/c and miscarried on my own in the hospital. I bled so bad though that they had to do a D&C. I passed out after losing so much blood.

March 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Snowpeas
I haven't personally had any complications but I've heard stories of women that have had. A lot of times it's just one isolated incident and doesn't repeat itself.

It would definitely be scary though. What does your OB say about it?
March 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
they were going to prepare me for a transfusion but i luckily didn't need it for my miscarriage. I didn't think I would ever stop bleeding, but they can also pack you with gauze. nothing too scary though i'm prepared for this one, well a little bit not ready for another little one with these two running me out of gas, but i will get used to it.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can imagine that makes this pregnancy much scarier for you. I hope things go much better this time.

March 20th, 2009, 03:42 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
My first there was mecoinum in the water. He had to be rushed to a different hospital with in 30 minutes of birth cuz he breathing wasn't right. That was THE hardest thing ever! I couldn't go with.

My second - I hemorrhaged a bit after birth.

My 3rd - He was born with the cord 2 times around his neck they had to cut it off before I could push him out. The doctor missed him being born cuz it went too fast. I hemorrhaged very bad. I was SOOOO close to needing a transfusion.

My 4th - idiot doctor used cervidil to try to get labor started. NEVER EVER EVER would I EVER agree to using that stuff. it was TERRIBLE! I had contractions for 12 hours straight that were piggy backing on one another, with no break. it felt like something was burning or pinching my cervix and it didn't dilate me AT ALL. STUPID DOCTOR! Again another hemorrhage which they expected so was treated right away.

My 5th - Another born with the cord around his neck. I couldn't stop pushing so he got choked coming out. poor baby had broken blood vessels so bad. Doctor missed that one too cuz it went too fast. And yet another hemorrhage

My 6th - I had placenta previa, that fixed itself, then she was breech till about 36 weeks. My water broke early and labor was much different than the other. I went to get an epi right away and the guy stuck me 8 times. I can NEVER get an epi again. It was the worst experience in my life and I had spinal headaches for a good 8 months after. She was born facing up as well.

March 20th, 2009, 04:03 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I've never had any problems.

Derrick was born with only a shot of demerol. Those idiot doctors didn't believe me that I needed to push so I pushed and the nurse started screaming for me to stop. I told her "NO, I've been telling you people that i needed to push, so I'm pushing"

Xavier I was induced with cytotec and pitocin. I had NO issues with EITHER of those medications despite people ragging on me to NOT use cytotec. I trusted my ob and knew she wouldn't do anything that would hurt me. Other then the induction meds I had NO pain relief medications. Pitocin DOESN'T make the contractions hurt MORE they just make them hurt faster which doesn't allow your body to adjust it's pain receptors so it feels like it hurts more. I go way to fast for an epidural - with Xavier I went from 3cm to 10cm in about 30 minutes and 15 minutes of pushing...

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this birth, I think I'm just going to play it by ear. I'm hoping I go as fast because I felt wonderful afterwards. I'm not against an epidural so if I stall during labor I will get it...
March 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama08mommy4 View Post
From everything I've read, I know if the D & C doesn't work, they will perform a
hysterectomy to stop the bleeding. I've
also read that the hysterectomy is the LAST option they have to
stop the bleeding, so THEN what? lol

Its my understanding the bleeding is from your uterus, So if they take it out and cut off blood flow to it then the bleeding should be over, They try to not do that to save your uterus in case you want more. I would be worried with having another So soon, except you had a D/C which should have cause things to help up quicker.

I hope everything works out without all the scary in betweens.

Heartbeat 111bpm 6w1d
Heartbeat 139bpm 7w0d
Heartbeat 169bpm 8w1d
Dancing baby! 8w6d 174bpm

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search