Im in a lil bit of a pickle!!!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I need some serious advice !!!! Well i just got fired today from my job after i told them i was pregnant. My boss basically told me she liked me alot but she couldnt keep me because she really needed someone to work and not miss too much. i know its against the law and all but it doesnt bother me that i dont work there anymore cause i didnt like the job anyways. Its only 1 month ive been working there and the only reason that they found out i was pregnant was bc my boss asked me if i had any medical conditions or if i was pregnant because next month i would be in the group insurance from my work and they needed to know. I couldnt lie to her because then it would catch up with me in the end bc she would soon realize that i was lying.

I live in Canada more specifically in Quebec and my boss told me that i probably would be eligible for Unemployment Insurance. I worked part time at my previous job for over 2 years and i worked full time at this job. im just wondering if anyone knows anything about that. I will be calling tomo to be asking all these questions but i know i wont be able to sleep tonight until i get some answers. The website is not very clear. Altho i didnt get fired from my previous job, i quit because i had found this job does that make me NOT qualify ?? They have to base what their gonna give me on a salary i was making and its gonna b my previous job.

Basically if i dont qualify for Unemployment Insurance i am pretty much screwed!!! My boyfriend would be the only one working and it wont be enough for him to pay his debts and MINE.

I am so confused and lost right now i just need some reassurance because i want to sleep in peace tonight !!!! If anyone knows anything please help me out !!!!!

Thank you

March 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe you should still be eligible for UI, as long as you have work 420 hours or something like that (I also live in Quebec ). Just make sure you get all of your record of employments, if I were you I would ask this boss for one also, and for it not to be recorded as fired cause you can bring legal action for that (she can use downsizing, position closed...etc)! I hope you get all the answers you need tomorrow! Good luck!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

March 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Super Mommy
She is going to send me my record of employment paper by the mail and i did well over 420 hours of work at my previous job !!!! I just hope it is going to work out or else i am really going to be screwed all the way !!!! I have my record of employment from my previous job which is prolly the most important one im guessing :S .
I just need hope !!!!
Thanks OneDaySoon !!

March 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm not sure how Canadian laws work but I'd make sure you tell unemployment that they let you go specifically because you were fired. It's illegal and they may want to pursue legal action.

March 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I'm not sure how Canadian laws work but I'd make sure you tell unemployment that they let you go specifically because you were fired. It's illegal and they may want to pursue legal action.
That's absolutely awful!!
March 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Actually - It's NOT illegal to be fired without notice. There is a three month probation period where your boss decides whether you will work out or not - within those three months your boss could fire you because your breath stinks. After the first three months, then you need written warnings and two weeks notice. That's how it works in my end of Canada, anyway. I'm in BC.

Another thing, you will only get EI if you are LOOKING for work while on it. If you can prove that you were Looking for work but no one would hire you because of your being pregnant - then you can qualify for disability before your mat leave. Mat leave requires 600 hrs in the past 52 weeks. I went through all that when pregnant with DD. I worked in a paint store and had to quit because obviously breathing those fumes & heavy lifting = not great. But I couldn't get EI because I wasn't 'actively looking for new employment'. So I quit at 3 months pregnant and DF took care of us - then I got my Mat Leave at 40 weeks.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
March 20th, 2009, 03:57 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, in Quebec for parental insurance (which replaced "Mat leave") you have to have earned $2000 in the last 52 weeks no matter how many hours you worked....

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

March 20th, 2009, 03:59 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+peanut View Post
That's absolutely awful!!
another DITTO! wow!

March 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
I don't know how things work in Canada. here in the US you cannot fire anyone whether in probation period or not because they are pregnant. It against ADA guidelines. But I don't know what Canada's are. You may need to check up on that. Good luck I hope you get the insurance.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

March 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awful.

I hope you can work something out.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that's horrible!!

March 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
*Hayley*
i'm definitely not the type to take legal actions, but you better believe that if I were fired due to pregnancy, i would take them for everything they're worth. that's ridiculous.
March 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hayley* View Post
i'm definitely not the type to take legal actions, but you better believe that if I were fired due to pregnancy, i would take them for everything they're worth. that's ridiculous.
Me too! I would be so angry.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! I am sorry to hear the troubles you are having. I know here in the US they cant fire you for being pregnant no matter how many months you have been there. That is a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen.
As far as UI goes, I have no idea how that works in Canada. Wish I could help you out more.

Good luck with everything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search