For those with younger children...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Super Mommy
I was kind of wondering how those with younger children were going to incorporate them into the pregnancy or life with baby afterwards? I want to include my son in my pregnancy, take him to the u/s talk about baby in my tummy once I start to show and is noticeable... I want him to know it's his brother or sister and not someone he will necessary have to compete with for me and DF's love. Does that sound stupid?
March 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That doesn't sound stupid at all. Your son is just about 2 months older than mine. I'm not sure if I'll take him to the ultrasound. He'd probably be way impatient and DH would have to take him out of the room so then DH wouldn't get to see it.

I've told him that Mommy is having a baby. I ask him where the baby is and he lifts my shirt and pats my belly. I'm not sure what else we'll do. I'll probably do more as the time gets closer.

March 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
No it doesn't sound stupid. I was thinking of taking DS to the ultrasound with me or even having him the the delivery room but I don't want to freak him out. I know he'll be at the hospital though. Some hospitals have classes that children can attend that talk about the new baby and what to expect. Maybe look into one of them. My son is 4 and will be 5 when this baby is born so I think he will adjust pretty quickly. When he was around 2 going on 3 he didn't like me touching any babies....LOL! But now he's facinated with them. Just make sure that when the baby is born you still have that one on one time with him. Make it HIS special time and make sure nothing interrupts it. Whether it be a bedtime story, time with just you and him talking about his day, or doing Big Boy stuff when the new baby is napping. Also, get him involved with the baby quickly. Have him go get diapers or wipes...get the babies clothes...something like that.
March 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Super Mommy
Yes my son doesn't get very jealous and hes such a good boy! Whenever my friends son is over he always thinks the baby needs a "baba" or to "eaT" always hugging him and saying "awww" like he knows hes smaller and how cute they are. I keep asking if he wants a baby and his answer is consistently yes and the other day he saw the ultrasouns pics on the fridge and said "Was dat" and I told him the new baby thats coming but we haven't gotten as far as the baby is mommys belly yet, I didn't think he'd grasp it until I got a little bigger.
March 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Snowpeas
I think it's a good idea!

My dd is 15 1/2 months and we've started talking to her about it too. We also have a doll that I pretend to rock to sleep and sing to and hold and nurse and burp (she laughs when the baby 'burps').

The first time I did all that and then handed the doll to her she threw it on the floor quite emphatically - not a good sign. lol

I have no idea what if anything she'll understand ahead of time but we're definitely trying to prepare her a little bit. I'm a little worried about what her reaction will be in the beginning. Luckily my mom will be coming here when I give birth and her job is to pay lots of attention to Olivia during the adjustment.
March 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+peanut View Post
I think it's a good idea!

My dd is 15 1/2 months and we've started talking to her about it too. We also have a doll that I pretend to rock to sleep and sing to and hold and nurse and burp (she laughs when the baby 'burps').

The first time I did all that and then handed the doll to her she threw it on the floor quite emphatically - not a good sign. lol

I have no idea what if anything she'll understand ahead of time but we're definitely trying to prepare her a little bit. I'm a little worried about what her reaction will be in the beginning. Luckily my mom will be coming here when I give birth and her job is to pay lots of attention to Olivia during the adjustment.
LOL@ her throwing the doll on the floor. I'm an only child and I think that would be something I would have done.
March 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Thats not stupid. Do just what you are planning. I have 2 younger siblings and never felt like competeing with them. we were always very involved. I plan to do the same with DD. She will go to my non invasive dr appts now and she will be in the delivery room too. I'm also sending her to a sibling camp. So she can learn how to change diapers and feed the baby. I think as long as they are involved they won't feel like it a competition.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

March 20th, 2009, 11:40 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The hospitals have the classes for siblings, to help them adjust and be involved.

March 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I haven't been doing much investigation as to the programs that the birthing center offers but we plan on taking xavier to the u/s on April 15th. He listens to the baby's heartbeat every other day or so. He has picked out toys for the baby. We also have picked out some items that we will give him from the baby once he/she is born.
March 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipDawn View Post
I haven't been doing much investigation as to the programs that the birthing center offers but we plan on taking xavier to the u/s on April 15th. He listens to the baby's heartbeat every other day or so. He has picked out toys for the baby. We also have picked out some items that we will give him from the baby once he/she is born.
what kind of items?
March 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Well for Xavier it will probably be a toy of some sort - he loves transformers, as well as a shirt that says something about being a big brother. My family was really good with Derrick when Xavier was born - my aunts/uncles would take him to the batting cage and stuff like that - making sure he didn't feel left out.

Also, a big thing was when people came to see the baby we told them to please stop and talk to Derrick first before making a b-line for the baby. That way he didn't get jealous - btw he was 9 when Xavier was born...but I think even the younger ones may need that kind of attention as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search