Baby shower 2nd time around?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ya know I feel like with the first it is more of a HUGE deal! I dont know why, just always felt that way. My Mom threw my baby shower the first time around, and this time my best friends have already said they would be throwing mine. So I guess I'll still have one.
DH and I also discussed not having a baby shower and instead having a diaper party. So we'll see.
March 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Super Mommy
whats a diaper party???
March 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Snowpeas
I'm pretty sure I won't have one. This baby will be coming less than two years after my dd and people around here usually only do it for your first child unless it's been awhile.
March 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BaileyEliChase -
A diaper party is like a baby shower but instead of bring all sorts of gifts for baby your guests bring diapers! My girlfriend and her DH did this a year ago and she got tons of bags/boxes of various brands and size diapers! She said she didnt have to buy diapers till after 8 months!
Also, instead of making it just like a baby shower with the games and all they made it more like a party with food, music and drinks.
March 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
Wow that is unique. It will be 4 years since my last baby shower, but I won't be getting a new one. I'm lucky, I hate parties for myself. I'm just going out and buying the things I need for the baby.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
I won't be having a second one. Which is ok since I have all the things from Claudia, if we have a boy or boys than we only have to get clothes and few other things.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

March 21st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to msbritt86
We will be having a "baby sprinkle"!!!

Thanks to Heather aka Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!!!
Make a pregnancy ticker
March 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
People around here do one for each baby. Kind of an "every baby deserves a celebration" thing.

Personally, I feel awkward with people buying me things. I mean, if they want to give something, that is fine. But I don't enjoy having a get together for the sole purpose of bringing me gifts.

Obviously, I have everything I need for a baby. There was quite the controversy when I refused a shower because I just don't need anything. People were mad. My sisters were planning it and I asked if we could just please scale it down and instead of gifts, maybe ask each person to bring a little book. My mom got involved and refused to do it that way so I just said forget it. It is just overwhelming to me to open a bunch of gifts when I really really really don't need anymore baby things. Kind of like when your kids have way too many toys and someone comes and dumps a truckload on you. I appreciate the gesture but it is really too much for me.

I do believe in the celebration for every baby so, for the last few babies, dh has taken the kids out and picked up somethings they wanted to get or that we needed and also went with them to get a cake. They decorate, we take pictures, and we have our own little shower.

My girls went to my sister's 1st baby shower and came home asking why I wouldn't let people come to ours. I have no idea what was said to them or if they came up with it on their own but they were obviously disappointed that we didn't go all out with a gazillion guests, presents, etc.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a baby shower for each baby. If someone wants to give you one then you should do it, as long as you are okay with it. I totally love the idea of the baby sprinkle, which is what I was trying to scale down to. Just a gathering of loved ones for a good time. Maybe everyone can bring a frozen dish for when the baby is born to help with dinners. Another idea is the book themed one. There is a diaper party where everyone brings a package of diapers. Another neat one is where everyone decorates a square of fabric and someone has it put together as a quilt for the new baby.

March 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, if people had actually showed up to my first baby shower, and if we actually had stuff we needed- i'd say I didn't need one..

but i'm still really burnt about the last baby shower and we have nothing so I kinda think I should get one

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
Not sure. I have most of the stuff I need for this baby. We need a few big things still: another car seat, crib mattress, bedding, bassinet ... I'm sure there's a few more things.
However, we'll be at our next duty station and won't know anyone.
That's okay though.
March 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think 2nd showers are perfectly fine. Remember it's the BABY being celebrated, and EACH baby deserves it.

For my first, I didn't have a shower. We were in England when she was born, all our family and friends were in the States.

For my second, I had a pretty big shower. I helped plan it, because I'm the party person. lol I love doing it!

Not sure about this time, I know my Mom thinks every baby deserves one but I'm not sure how dh's family feels about it.
If it's a boy, I might throw dh a Father shower! He wants a boy so bad and I think it'd be nice to celebrate it with him. Or maybe a baby sprinkling so we could get some boy clothes and replace the pink baby items that we have, like the bouncer and boppy covers, etc.. Nothing big.

Last edited by ~Paula~; March 21st, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
March 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never really had one , we were in Va and my co workers threw me a mini one which was nice but i wish i would had my family and best firend there , so since we are moving back to tx im def going to have one!

March 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
*Hayley*
i don't know...maybe a small but i had 4 with cohen and that was only about 15 months ago ish so we'll see
March 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Definitely! I love the idea of celebrating with each baby! It doesn't have to be gifts even... you can have friends and family over for a baby blessing, or sometimes women bring food or ingredients instead of gifts.

March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I got one for Xavier since it had been 9.5 years since I had Derrick. This one, even though it's been 4.5 years I won't get one. Mainly because I will be in Italy but also because my family is so screwed up and full of their drama...I don't even want one! I had a TON of drama at my baby shower with Xavier...I will suck it up and buy my own stuff.
March 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
For me it depends on how much hand me down stuff I can get. We have no baby stuff as dd is 6 and will be almost 7 when the baby is born. I may need too. I had thought about that for a while. There are a lot of years between my kids. I think it won't be in bad taste to have a 2nd one.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

March 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to karsynsmama Send a message via Yahoo to karsynsmama
It will only be 2 years in between my kiddos so I doubt I will have a huge one again, plus we moved 800 miles away, so I highly doubt anyone is going to be shipping stuff from Texas to Colorado - hahaha!!! If anything I will ask for diapers or something like that...from my baby shower for Karsyn I still have not had to buy any baby shampoo, baby powder, desitin, and I just started having to buy wipes - I had a ton of stuff, lol!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search