what do you think about...no debate please.

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
No No No! I make my boys carry juice cups with them. If they get soda they are off the walls, it is rare that they get candy. I'm pretty strict about that. But if you give one you should give the other one the same amount. If I do give them a sip of what I'm drinking, even though it's iced tea or lemonade, they both get a sip.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Saw a baby under 12 months once on a train sucking back coke in a milk bottle - that made me a bit cranky. The sugar has to do a lot of damage to their teeth too. My eldest is 3.5 - he might have a bit on a special occasion (ie. christmas) but i don't encourage it. I rather he had a milkshake!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
March 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter will be 10 next month and she still doesn't drink pop. Her band teacher awards them with a can of pop if they do well in class, so MAYBE once a week she gets a pop but never at home.
I just think pop is so addicting and contributes to so much extra weight, that if I can teach her that it's a rare occasion thing, she'll be better off.

March 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No way!! DH and I ourselves cut out all soda about three years ago. So since we never have it in the house, Andre never gets any. Even at Grandma's house, she only gives him juice or milk. We are pretty adamant about taking a sippy cup everywhere with us, so even if we go out to eat somewhere he will have his juice/milk. I don't know how long I will restrict him from it, but I know at some age he will want it when he knows what it is. I think I will do like you Paula and make it seem more as a rare occasion thing he can have one.

But for a 9-12 month old, ohhhh **** NO!!! I have seen kids about 1-2 years with bottles of soda (not sippy cups) and it drives me crazy! First off its pure sugar and second that kid should be off the bottle!
March 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Snowpeas
Olivia is 15 1/2 months old and has never had soda. And I don't plan on giving her any anytime soon.
March 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol I didn't even answer for my youngest. She'll be 2 in June and has never had pop. She's a milk drinker, LOVES it! She's had sips of lemonade or something like that but no pop. I don't know why, but pop is my "weirdness". I just don't think it's great for kids. Milk, juice, water..that's it!

March 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
*Hayley*
nooooope. cohen would not be given soda..we also don't buy it so it's not in the house
March 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
absolutely not. I was at Wal-Mart some time and saw probably 6 kids around the ages of 1-4 chugging soda, it made me so mad.
Little kids don't need soda. A piece of candy every now and then? why not. Sugar AND caffeine? why??

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't drink it at all. Dh does when he is gone but told me he is cutting it out again. Last time he did, he lost 20 pounds. Now that he started drinking it again, he gained it back. His job is pretty physical but he drinks a butt load of that stuff. I just don't like it.

That being said, we don't buy it. Dh will buy it for b-day parties and that is the only time they get any. We don't even do juice (except for orange juice in the mornings once in a while). They drink water or milk. They like the other stuff but we just don't buy it. My 5 year old won't drink anything but water.

As for a 9-12 month baby, I will admit, I have let mine try a sip. It was my experience that none of them liked the carbonation of it (like their Mama ) and that was a big reason for giving it to them. If they know they don't like it, they will quit bugging for it. Do I think they should be given it to drink? Heck no!! And babies with a bottle full of pop/soda is just wrong to me. It is doing nothing for them.

March 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to msbritt86
I would have probably given braylin a sip at 12 mos or so .. but ONLY a sip. Just for her to experience it. She'll be 3 in august and probably twice this year shes had a few sips.. Its just as bad as choclate so i dont feel that bad lol

Thanks to Heather aka Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!!!
Make a pregnancy ticker
March 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ava had a sip just last week of some sprite and she hated it. (Thankfully) I always take a sippy cup with us out to eat. I would never give her a cup of pop to drink. I know that as she gets older we'll have to watch ourselves because DH and I both drink pop in the evenings and when we go out.
March 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is our first but I'm pretty sure we'll have a no pop rule. Its just unnecessary (imo). I was at the doctors office last week and there was a three year old drinking an entire bottle of pepsi. Of course he was running around getting into/ destroying everything b/c the mom didn't bring him any toys. So I saw first hand the combo of sugar and lack of stimulation- it wasn't pretty and I don't intend on making that mistake.
March 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Super Mommy
NO NO NO! Our 3 year old has never tasted soda...............wait................ I take that back. Listen to this short story:
I use to work at a daycare as an assistant director. My son's teacher was in the gym one day with him and we were commenting on her drinking her soda. I was like...yeah, I don't give Kaden sips of my soda because of the caffeine. He's NEVER had any what so ever. She looked at me and was like... "WHAT? I thought you gave it to him. When he gets sips of mine (ewww, gross) he LOVES it."
I was sooooooooooooooo pissed beyond belief. I literally had to walk out of the gym and in to the bathroom. UGH!
How disgusting is that? No wonder he didn't take naps for her!
March 21st, 2009, 08:06 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Common sense would be no. As far as the Sierra Mist goes, I would say that it is okay as a special treat at a certain age. It's like when my 7 year old nephew asks for ice-tea...his mom always asks the waitress to water it way down. So basically it is water with a small amt of tea in it.
March 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to karsynsmama Send a message via Yahoo to karsynsmama
I have let Karsyn take a sip of mine before, but thats it...I would never put some in her sippy cup. Plus neither DH or I really drink sodas, so its very rare if we have them at our house. I dont like seeing kids that young drinking sodas....In my house when I was growing up I was only allowed Sprite on the weekends if I was good and that didnt start until I was 8 or so and it has just stuck with me and I still dont unless its a special occasion or something....weird I know!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search