1st U/S: A note about the

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Veteran
Hey, no pics yet--scanner's down. But, girls? A little warning about the intravag ultrasound would have been nice! For real. My DH came in there for the u/s and she had me take my pants off in this tiny cramped little room and then she handed me this giant microphone of a thing and told me to "insert it like a tampon". Okay? A tampon? A tampon is not 14 inches long and covered one finger of a whole blue floppy glove AND w/ a shot glass full of lube goozing on the end. And then! Then! She wanted to check out my ovaries while she was controlling her intravag joystick. Ovaries? Come on--my vagina is not that big! But of course with a little bit of elbow grease, I'm sure she could have seen my esophagus as well, so by jove she saw my ovaries. Ta-da.

Anyway! Baby is great! Saw the heart and listened to the heart beat. I got choked up when I heard the heartbeat and the callous lady operating the vaginatron was like "You have to calm down. We can't hear the heart beat. Hold on to your husband or do whatever you need to to calm down." Give me a freaking break! I have never heard a heartbeat of a baby inside me before! I wasn't sobbing--I kinda hiccuped. It was beautiful and touching and I was doing pretty well considering that I had just gotten manhandled at my first prenatal appt and then didn't realize I'd be a key accessory to her playing Pong w/ my ovaries.

It was beautiful and touching and I'm glad that DH was there to share it w/ me. It was such a relief to see that everything is as it should be.

March 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awful isn't it?? At least you got to insert the thing yourself- I've had two with this pregnancy and each time the stupid nurse poked the WRONG SPOT. oucccchhhh!

glad it went well for you! A lot of U/S nurses are wenches (at least in my experience), like they've become numb to how special it is for the mommy

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
xoleaxo's Avatar Veteran
LOL! yea the intravag ultrasound is a bit of a shocker when you don't know it's coming. i can't believe she had you insert it yourself??! that's weird to me..

pretty sweet that you heard the baby's heartbeat.. i'm sooo jealous, i can't wait to hear ours!

March 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, I'm literally LMAO!!! I've got tears from laughing so hard!! First, my Dr doesn't use a glove.. that's just weird!! Mine uses a condom, much more natural to me. lol Plus, I have NEVER, NEVER and this is my 4th pregnancy.. INSERTED MY OWN "WAND". WAY WEIRD!!

I'm glad you had an overall good appt, although it's one I'm sure you'll never forget.

March 23rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG lol...I inserted my own wand and almost gasped when I read the first post that said the nurse inserted it for her!!!
March 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs. Brown
I didn't insert my own wand at my 1st ob appt with DS but during all my miscarriage issues I had to. Not fun!!!! Sorry that you were not warned about the wand!!!

March 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Snowpeas
I lucked out - I have never had a transvaginal u/s with either of my pregnancies, just abdominal ones since they've always been able to see the baby that way (thank goodness!).

Yay for hearing the heartbeat. Sorry the tech was in such a bad mood. I started bawling when I heard this baby's heartbeat come blasting over the speakers. She just smiled. It's a very special time and she shouldn't have ruined it for you.
March 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
MrsSteele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MrsSteele Send a message via Yahoo to MrsSteele
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysticks View Post
glad it went well for you! A lot of U/S nurses are wenches (at least in my experience), like they've become numb to how special it is for the mommy

I 100% agree with this one, at least with my experiences so far
March 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
that is soo weird, my doc did a trasvag u/s and it was not that bad the pap was worse, I guess I am lucky my doc made it not weird at all.

March 24th, 2009, 03:34 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Yeah I got one with Xavier and had to insert my own, mainly because it was a guy doing the u/s. now THAT would have been weird if he were to insert it!
March 24th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to msbritt86
Yea lol they are no fun!! They always make me insert it to.. its so awkward!! Im glad you got to hear the heartbeat!!!!!

Thanks to Heather aka Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!!!
Make a pregnancy ticker
March 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty View Post
that is soo weird, my doc did a trasvag u/s and it was not that bad the pap was worse, I guess I am lucky my doc made it not weird at all.
ditto for my doc, she acted completely normal and so it wasn't uncomfortable (maybe I had a smaller wand???) But when I saw the baby I kinda freaked out too. I was like "OMG there's a baby in there!" and she was so mean she said " no kidding you're pregnant- thats what usually happens to pregnant women." Well excuse me, but its different when you SEE the little person floating around in there!

So the u/s wasn't uncomfortable at all, but her attitude was like it was just another day at the office and that put a damper on things for me.

I'm glad you saw and heard your little one though! Don't worry the next u/s should be abdominal
March 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my last pregnancy and with my first U/S this time around I had the transvaginal U/S and all times my doctor inserted the wand herself. I myself found it weird she made you do it, that would have been awkward for me.
Oh and with my U/S DH was there too, and of course being a man, afterward driving home his only question was "did it turn you on?" ohhhhh yeah like I am going to be turned on with some foreign object in me being inserted by my doctor that is cold and uncomfortable, yeah men just dont get it!
March 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Veteran
I am glad that everything went well with your appointment. I had my first appointment this past Wed. and when they did the ultra sound I also had to insert the wand myself. It was not fun at all. We were not able to hear the hb but we did get to see it and that was amazing.

March 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
Wow I believe this just made my morning your explanation haha. I've never heard it explained this way but you made me laugh and smile today! And you got to hear and see the baby!

Thanks to cavewoman

March 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
CriscoNinja
OMG! That is too funny! I had a trans/vag one done and it was a lot of prodding, she was looking for my ovaries too! They push pretty darn hard. Glad it all went well though!
March 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Super Mommy
Thats why Dh doesn't like coming with me for my weekly u/s, all of the intravag. Anyhow, glad everything looks great and you got to the heartbeat.

1/26/09-2 Beaufitul Embies Transfered!!
2/5/09-BETA, POSTIVE, 250 @ 10dpt!!
2/18/09-1st U/S, we are expecting Twins!!

March 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Veteran
hehehe, I had an experience with the wand (or the dildo with a camera on the end as my sister called it) with a previous miscarriage. My husband came in with me for the ultrasound, took one look at the stirrups and walked right back out.
I have my first ultrasound this Friday, I will be 8 weeks 6 days (at least so I think). Do they normally do abdominal or vaginal ultrasounds at that point? Now I am freaking out about the wand!
Sorry the tech had such a bad attitude! You should have put to use your new found insertion technique and shoved the wand right up her a*s (j/k).

March 24th, 2009, 06:26 AM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL.. you guys crack me up. all 4 of my u/s with this pregnancy have me the transvag one, as werid it is I actually like them better (they also done 2 abdominal ones) but you can see things so much clearer with the vag one. some techs have made me "insert" and some do it themselfs.

I remember the first time DF went with me, the tech started with the abdominal one and she was like "nope not happy with this, we're goin in deeper" you should have seen the look on DF face when we pulled out the probe and "prepped it" DF was like "ummm what the hell is that... OHHHHHHH my....... that looks huge!"

March 24th, 2009, 07:07 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you got to see and hear the heartbeat!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search