Exercising?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still exercise 5 days a week but i've had to modify what I do. Ab exercises make me feel weird and i'm not sure if they're even allowed

I do a lot of core training and pilates. Leg lifts, squats, pretty mild stuff but MAN if I don't get winded quickly

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No they don't bother me at all, ANYTHING that strains my ab muscles feel very strange and uncomfortable though.. it also causes my stomach to form a weird tepee like shape

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

March 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Rh♥nda's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I go to the gym Mon-Fri for an hour-hour half each time, unless something comes up. DH and I started going to the gym last October and have a set routine what we do. My doctor told me I could continue going since I was already doing it prior to the pregnancy. Only restrictions she gave me was to not go up in weights but I could go up in reps. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day, I rotate between the climbmaster, the eliptical and the treadmil each day. I do weights for shoulders, triceps, biceps, chest and back. I will do light weights between 5-10lbs and will do 8 reps of 20. It seems like a lot but I do really low weight because I dont want to bulk up but want to stay toned. I also do legs too, squats, lunges, and diff leg machines for the calves and thighs. Again I do all with very low weights/resistance and do lots of reps. The only thing I have decided to cut out on my own was ab exercises I just dont feel it is very safe, and I cut out the leg press which again I didnt feel was very safe while pregnant.
I think you really feel great after working out, but you will be very tired and hungry after. I have never been one who exercised and felt a burst of energy after.
March 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Snowpeas
I like to go on long walks as often as possible. I also have a pilates for pregnancy tape that breaks the workouts into 10 minute sections which helps me get the motivation to do them.
March 24th, 2009, 03:15 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I am up to running about 11 miles a week. I've taken off from the gym the last couple of weeks and I sure can tell, I've been really tired lately. I am goin back to the gym this week and continuing until we move from post about 2 times a week. So I will be running 3x a week and doing the gym thing 2x a week. I haven't been doing situps, however, with my last pregnancy I was told it was ok, as long as you stopped when your ab muscles began to seperate due to getting bigger. This time around I just stopped when I found out I was preggo.

I will probably be runnin about 15 miles a week until I can't run anymore - hopefully through the end of this pregnancy. But we will see...
March 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I must admit, I haven't been doing anything because I've felt so bad - but now that the weather is nice, I'm going to start walking my dog 2 miles a few times a week.... try to get back into my pilates routine and look into prenatal yoga. My pilates teacher is really excited to teach pre-natal pilates, so I'm excited to go back.

Hope the combination of those things help energize me a little! And burn a few calories!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
March 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Veteran
At my first appointment last week I asked my doctor about what kind of exercises I can keep up with. I normally run about 10k (6.25 miles) a day and do step aerobics twice a week. I was surprised when he told me no more running or step aerobics. Keep in mind I had a miscarriage at 13 weeks in the fall though.
Anyways, he did say that the elliptical, swimming, walking, and low impact aerobics would be good alternatives.

March 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
doe anyone else get winded really quickly? I just took a walk around the neighborhood with DH and had to stop twice because I couldn't catch my breath. I'm not in great shape or anything but that was strange and a little scary!
March 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love going for walks with the kids and dogs, but I won't be starting anything new, since I didn't do anything before pregnancy. One thing I did want to mention was that my O.B. has told me that ab exercises are out for the duration of pregnancy.
March 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I either use my elliptical or take a brisk walk outside 4 times a week. I also use a workout dvd 1-2 times a week. I have tons of them (kickboxing, basic aerobics, yoga, pilates, etc.). I bought a couple pregnancy workout dvd's that are great, but I don't use them exclusively yet since I am still able to do other workouts. Once I get bigger and lose my balance and coordination, though...

Oh, and my doctor told me no running. She approved the elliptical. Correction, no running later in pregnancy. She said once you lose your balance it can be dangerous since you're prone to fall (and since I'm already prone to fall, I can only imagine what I'll be like ).
March 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Now that the weather is starting to warm up I want to get back to taking walks with Ben.

March 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran
I get winded a lot easier now. Even if I just walk briskly I find myself having to gasp for air. It makes me feel really out of shape and huge.

March 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i got the new jillian michaels ultimate workout for the wii fit.... LOL i felt like a loser the first time i tired. i was out of breath in like 5 minutes.

March 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to karsynsmama Send a message via Yahoo to karsynsmama
I have always been active with tennis and golf and running a mile a day, but since I found out I was preg I walk a mile and I play "light" tennis...but goodness I lose my breathe so easily, and I thought I was always in good shape, I guess not as good as I thought, o well!

March 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i do arobics, kickboxing i try to run 2 times a wk about 2miles or so. I notice i starting to lose my breath easily too , but im sure its just cause my body adjusting to the changes, Weather has gotten so warm so i have sometimes run when its cooler , i dont want to get to over heated, oh i dont know if you like riding bikes but i ride my bike once a wk or so with my son and its really relaxing and i dont lose my breath as much or feel tired afterwards ill ride around the base for like 30mins.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search