Eating honey while pregnant

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you aren't supposed to give a baby under 1 honey. Is it safe to eat honey while pregnant? I have been putting honey in my tea to sweeten it and today was told that you shouldn't eat honey while pregnant. I would think that only raw honey would be off limits.
March 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
xoleaxo's Avatar Veteran
i have never heard that we can't have honey.. i put honey in my ginger tea all the time. i wonder why honey would be unsafe?

March 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I never use sugar to sweeten my tea or yogurt. I always use honey.
March 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
xoleaxo's Avatar Veteran
i think we're fine with the honey.. if we listened to EVERYTHING people or the internet says then we'd be stuck eating celery and crackers for 9 months

March 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to karsynsmama Send a message via Yahoo to karsynsmama
i think its just giving a baby honey up until age 1 thats not safe, i think its safe during pregnancy as long as your not eating it out of the jar, haha!

March 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Snowpeas
You know I ate honey my entire pregnancy last time and then I heard that you shouldn't eat it when pregnant. I can't remember where I heard that though.

Here's a like that I found:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,3wd1,00.html

The vast majority of information says that it's okay, but one or two said it isn't.
March 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Super Mommy
The ONLY reason you are not allowed to give a child honey under 1 is because its a very allergenic food along with nuts and eggs. You are definetly allowed honey during pregnancy.
March 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease ladies.

LOL at the celery comment!
March 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never heard that one before.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
always something to worry about

March 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Veteran
Actually babies under 1 (or 6 months depending on who you ask) shouldn't have honey because

Although honey is a natural, healthy food that normally cannot support bacterial life, it's important to note that it can carry C. botulinum spores which may be harmful to the undeveloped immune systems of infants.Infants up to one year of age should not be fed raw honey, as their immune systems are not yet developed enough to fend off this normally benign strain.

So honey is safe for us, because we can fight off this pretty normal strain that we digest more often then I'd like to think.

It is not due to allergies, although for some families that may be in addition. Its a maturity issue (which of course means premies still go buy adjusted age)

Honey and Health Information. Effects of honey on your health. Warning: Do not feed honey to babies.

Heartbeat 111bpm 6w1d
Heartbeat 139bpm 7w0d
Heartbeat 169bpm 8w1d
Dancing baby! 8w6d 174bpm

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
always good to know and ask!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know. if we did listen to everything ppl say or internet says, we would eat nothing but celery and crackers. so i totally agree with you but heres what brings up a good question.
What about our parents/grandparents, etc. they didnt have the "knowledge" we have today, and we all turned out alright, did we not?? )

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
March 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I'm sure eating honey while pregnant is just fine, it wasn't on the list of things to avoid that I originally got from my doctor. I could ask my midwife today at my appointment just to check though. As far as I'm aware, you're only not suppose to give honey to a child under one year of age due to possible allergic reaction can can be fatal to a baby.

March 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have never heard honey a no no for pg.

September 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyEliChase View Post
The ONLY reason you are not allowed to give a child honey under 1 is because its a very allergenic food along with nuts and eggs. You are definetly allowed honey during pregnancy.
Ummm. Very interesting but innaccurate answer. The reason is not due to allergens, it is however because raw honey can cause botulism due to the low acid levels in an infant's digestive tract. While in utero, the fetus is not at risk because the mother's body processes the honey before it reaches it. Please check out this link, it was very helpful for me (take the spaces out of the address and change the word "dot" to a period before you try to reach it):

parenting.ivillage dotcom/pregnancy /psafe/0,,3wd1,00.html
September 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Veteran
I haven't heard this either...I have at least one "pooh sandwich" a week with extra honey on it...mmmm yummo!!!! (pooh sandwich = honey and peanutbutter sandwich) I want one now!!!
September 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
I listed honey to my doctor when she asked what I was eating and she didn't even flinch. Sounds like there were a lot of good answers above. That is a good thing cause I love honey.
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

September 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gabeandjae View Post
I haven't heard this either...I have at least one "pooh sandwich" a week with extra honey on it...mmmm yummo!!!! (pooh sandwich = honey and peanutbutter sandwich) I want one now!!!

I haven't thought about those in years! I loved them as a child. OMG, I am so going to buy a huge thing of honey today when I go grocery shopping.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search