I don't get paid maternity leave

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well...I can't be mad about it. CA public school teachers don't pay into the system. I need to use my sick time instead. Darn...I had my time all planned out! I don't know why I thought it was paid. Wishful thinking.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; March 27th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
March 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
CriscoNinja
Really? Sheesh. I get 6 weeks, but its unpaid. icky icky. I teach in MN
March 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriscoNinja View Post
Really? Sheesh. I get 6 weeks, but its unpaid. icky icky. I teach in MN

I'm blaming this on pregnancy brain. My post should've read that I don't get paid maternity leave. I also get 6 weeks. I just need to use sick time if I want to get paid.
March 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Very few places in the United States don't get paid maternity leave. We are one of 4 of the developed countries in the world who don't get paid leave. The others who don't give it are Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, and Lesotho. Doesn't seem that the US would even belong in that group. How freaking sad is that? People wonder why families fall apart so often in the US well that might be a pretty good cause of it.

March 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Snowpeas
Sorry to hear that. I wish we had a year like Canada!
March 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
That's so crazy - I had no idea! I'm a teacher in Toronto, Canada. We get one year off of work. Not completely paid, but we get employment insurance, about 55% of our salary. Unbelievable that teachers in the US don't get the same benefits.
March 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
CriscoNinja
I'm packing and moving to Canada!!! hehe
March 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
*Hayley*
good to know!!!! geez...
March 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Don't worry your not the only one..

I didn't get paid leave when I went on Maternity Leave for 3 months with Adriana. I used all of my vacation time and sick time.. I also saved up money to where I was able to do that.. So, you should start planning now.. I honestly don't mind.. I get good vacation hours and sick hours.. By the time this baby is born, I'll have almost 3 months saved up.. I just can't take any time off..

March 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Regular
I'm sorry! I'm sure everything will work out in the end though. Start saving what you can now, and maybe you'll have enough saved by then

I'm going to have to sit down with my employers and discuss this. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I am a nanny, and we discussed that I would just bring my baby to work with me after he/she was born, we just failed to discuss time off.

March 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, that really bites.
March 28th, 2009, 05:08 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just start saving some money and try not to use your sick days. Hopefully btw the baby gets here, you'll have it all figured out.

March 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thats really harsh. I would tell you to start saving now- do you spread your pay over 12 months or just get paychecks while school's in session? We have the option of smaller paychecks that continue over the summer here so that makes it easier to save and budget.

I left my job that gives you 3 months paid maternity leave. It would have been nice but: 1. I worked an average of 55+ hours/week, 2. all of those hours are on my feet, and 3. I plan on being a SAHM anyway. But sometimes I think I should have just sucked it up for the money and then quit.
March 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Veteran
I'm a server now so my time off will be completely unpaid. I agree that this may be part of the downfall of our society. Parents have no time to be with their new babies before they are forced to go back to work to pay bills. It's hard to save money now because we live basically paycheck to paycheck. Darn this recession.......

March 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
MrsSteele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MrsSteele Send a message via Yahoo to MrsSteele
I think I am taking 12 weeks....I get paid like I was on disability with 60% of my pay and can supplement the remainder with paid time off...Everyone at work is picking on me because if I go around my due date, I will have Thanksgiving and Christmas off! I hope that is how it works out!
March 28th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
Don't worry your not the only one..

I didn't get paid leave when I went on Maternity Leave for 3 months with Adriana. I used all of my vacation time and sick time.. I also saved up money to where I was able to do that.. So, you should start planning now.. I honestly don't mind.. I get good vacation hours and sick hours.. By the time this baby is born, I'll have almost 3 months saved up.. I just can't take any time off..

Oh...we have plenty saved. I've been saving over 1/2 my paycheck each month for the past 3 years more or less. By the time the baby is born I'll have almost 2 full years of salary saved up. I'm just preggo and complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I'm sorry! I'm sure everything will work out in the end though. Start saving what you can now, and maybe you'll have enough saved by then

I'm going to have to sit down with my employers and discuss this. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I am a nanny, and we discussed that I would just bring my baby to work with me after he/she was born, we just failed to discuss time off.

I was just being a whiner when I started this thread. By the time the baby is born, I'll have 2 years worth of salary saved from my paycheck alone. Dh also has salary saved from his paycheck, but he's responsible for investing and our retirement accounts.

I hope everything works out with your employers.
March 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
thats really harsh. I would tell you to start saving now- do you spread your pay over 12 months or just get paychecks while school's in session? We have the option of smaller paychecks that continue over the summer here so that makes it easier to save and budget.

I left my job that gives you 3 months paid maternity leave. It would have been nice but: 1. I worked an average of 55+ hours/week, 2. all of those hours are on my feet, and 3. I plan on being a SAHM anyway. But sometimes I think I should have just sucked it up for the money and then quit.

Pay is spread over 12 months. I put the max allowed in a summer saver each month. When the summer saver expires, I roll it over into a CD. DH thinks it's for a vacation home, but...well....I can't crush his dreams. I want a vacation home too, so hopefully my work will allow me to do job share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshum07 View Post
i dont get paid maternity leave and we dont get any benefits. so for the 6 weeks off there is no way i will get any money for it. we dont get sick days or anything. boo!!

Okay...I shouldn't have been such a whiner yesterday. I have it good. I think I was just surprised b/c all this time, I thought it was paid.
March 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
We do pay pretty high taxes here in Canada (the percentage is based on your income), but considering the free health care and the quality of public education, I don't personally have a problem with it. Of course it'd be nice to pay less!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search