How are you supposed to know it's twins

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
If they don't give you an ultrasound until the big one between 18-20 weeks? I keep dreaming that I'm having twins! I don't get an ultrasound until late May or early June though. Plus they never did HCG levels so there wouldn't be anything suspicious about high levels or anything.

Last edited by SusieQ2; March 30th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
March 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
won't your beta levels be much higher with twins?
March 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
Well i look like i'm about 4 months pregnant right now so even if i never had my ultrasound i would defiantly know something was up!

Other than that i had no other "symptoms" i had my HCG levels done the same day as my ultrasound.Maybe talk to your OB about your suspicions?Maybe he will do an ultrasound to confirm it?
March 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM
October 2012 DDC co-host
Yikes! See, I would think that all doctors should do at least one early ultrasound, then one later. If for no other reason, to check fo rmultiples. Maybe you could have a "problem" LOL! I in no way want to wish you bad luck or anythign about telling a story, BUT....have you had absolutely NO cramping or anything this pregnancy??? NO suspicious twinges or anything?? LOL

March 30th, 2009, 08:02 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
won't your beta levels be much higher with twins?
They never checked my beta levels. Not all Drs do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mandy* View Post
Well i look like i'm about 4 months pregnant right now so even if i never had my ultrasound i would defiantly know something was up!

Other than that i had no other "symptoms" i had my HCG levels done the same day as my ultrasound.Maybe talk to your OB about your suspicions?Maybe he will do an ultrasound to confirm it?
The insurance won't pay for it unless there is a problem or if it's for testing. Since they won't pay the Dr won't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrover0216 View Post
That happen to my sister. She had extreme nausea and was very tired...way out of the normal. She went to her 20 week appointment to get her ultrasound to find out the sex and the technician said that the first baby was a girl and the second baby they were not 100% sure but looked like a girl. My sister started crying, she was so overwhelmed and scared.The technician did not realize that my sister did not know she was carrying twins.
Wow I just can't imagine what a shock that must be! I probably would have fallen off the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
Yikes! See, I would think that all doctors should do at least one early ultrasound, then one later. If for no other reason, to check fo rmultiples. Maybe you could have a "problem" LOL! I in no way want to wish you bad luck or anythign about telling a story, BUT....have you had absolutely NO cramping or anything this pregnancy??? NO suspicious twinges or anything?? LOL
I haven't had any problems this pregnancy and I hate to jinx myself by making something up. I just keep having dreams that it's twins. It's probably because I just don't know for sure that it's only one so the possibility stays in the back of my mind.

March 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
*Hayley*
i was soooo worried about this last time i was pregnant because i didn't get a scan until 20 weeks. now i'm worried this time around because of an early scan showing a second sac.

you may start feeling some pains *cough, cough* on your left side and need to get it checked.
March 30th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
strange twinges mean twins???? O.O

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
March 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Super Mommy
With twins I would guess you'd be extraordinarily bigger and M/S, etc would be multiplied so I hear LOL
March 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I'm guessing that when they check with the doppler they could hear 2 heartbeats, but sometimes they just settle for one and stop then.

Thanks to cavewoman

March 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Snowpeas
If your uterus was measuring quite a bit bigger than expected they could probably justify an u/s to check. Also, as mentioned, if you are complaining of cramping or something like that they might be able to order an u/s to check.

With my first pregnancy they weren't going to do an u/s until 20 weeks but I was having bad cramping just on my left side. That was enough to get an u/s at 10 weeks. hee hee.
March 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, so far this pregnancy with twins hasn't been any harder than any of the singleton's I've carried, and in fact, I've had worse with just one, but my belly is HUGE, and I can fell my uterus about 2.5 inches below my belly button already.

March 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroDoula View Post
Well, so far this pregnancy with twins hasn't been any harder than any of the singleton's I've carried, and in fact, I've had worse with just one, but my belly is HUGE, and I can fell my uterus about 2.5 inches below my belly button already.
That's how i feel,too!Besides the fact that i know my uterus is larger than it would be with a singleton i haven't had any other symptoms.I do get tired alot,but no extreme morning sickness yet or anything like that.*knock on wood*
March 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
when you go in for your 1st ob appointment they should check the size of your uterus and it would be measuring big if it was twins

March 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me ... We saw 2 sacs on the first u/s at 6 weeks ... both had fetal poles ... only one had a heart flicker ... the second u/s we saw the one sac with a strong heartbeat but this time a lovely fibroid has joined the picture and the DR isn't sure if #2 is being hidden by that. These u/s were both intravaginal ... we go back on the 8th for another look ... he still "thinks" the second may be playing hide and seek behind the fibroid.

I then am going to a fanicer place on the 20th for genetic testing and a bigger whammo jammo u/s.

My friends think there is 2 since I have lost my waist already and have a fairly pronounced pooch ... granted I am not a tiny girl to start with but ... the pooch is definately not my usual.

I am very tired ... but thankful ... not a single case of vomitting ! A little naseau here and there but it leaves pretty quick ...

So I'm still in the wait and see mode ...

March 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Here's what i found on JM about signs of a multiple pregnancy.

Signs of a Multiple Pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search