He won't sleep!!!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Mommy2PrestonandGavin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So Preston is a few days short of being a month old...yay! He is the cutest little guy and I really enjoy being a mom for the most part. My problem is that he WILL NOT sleep at night no matter what I do. He sleeps fine during the day and hardly makes a peep but at night he flails his arms and legs and escapes the blanket I've swaddled him in, he spits out his pacifier and screams, he grunts and poops all night long and nothing calms him except when I hold him and occasionally put him in the swing. A few nights I slept on the couch and just let him sleep in his swing for the hour or so that he would sleep. I always make sure that he has a full tummy, clean diaper and that he is burped and so I know that his basic needs are met. He doesn't appear to be in any pain at all so I'm not sure that it's colic though I know nothing about that. I am just beyond exhausted. I have to work and function during the day and am starting to feel physically ill from lack of sleep.

I've tried giving him a bath a few hours before bed using that lavendar scented baby bath and lotion and that did nothing. I let him nurse as often as he wants generally and he seems to like to nurse alot in the evening so I let him and that doesn't help his fussiness. I've tried keeping him awake longer during the day and that doesn't help besides to make me even more tired because then I don't even have a few minutes to myself.

I will take any advice or recommendations that you ladies can offer. I am SO super exausted.

Thanks Katidid622 for my adorable siggy!

March 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Angelica81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Angelica81
All I can tell you is that with my DS the first month was brutal then it got easier as he started sleeping in longer spurts.

As everyone else always says - sleep when baby sleeps. That's really all you can do for now. The sleepless nights won't last forever.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
March 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to the PP.... the girls have been gving me a run for my money at night.... I've tried to nap while they nap durring the day and have DH feed them with pumped milk on one of the feedings so I can rest. They are still to young to try to keep them up durring the daytime so I'm just doing what I can until they sleep more at night

March 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Sebastians_mom
Isabella is going through the same thing at the moment, for the first week she was a perfect sleeper, slept non stop, night was a breeze. But the last 3 days she just doesn't want to sleep at night time unless I am holding her. I've even fallen asleep several times in bed holding her, which is something I thought I would NEVER do.
March 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Make sure it is as dark as possible at night where he sleeps. Use a nightlight or a flashlight when you need to see, don't turn on the lights. Don't talk to him much unless you are soothing him - do so in a soft voice.

When he sleeps during the day, is he swaddled as well? The reason I ask is because some kids hate being swaddled. If he sleeps during the day and is NOT being swaddled, don't swaddle him at night either.

The grunting and pooping comment makes me think that he has gas. You might try gas drops and moving his legs in the "bicycle" motion to help relieve gas.

If sleeping in the swing works or having him sleep on you works - go for it. If mommy and baby get rest, that is all that matters right now. He is too young to form any habits.

Good luck hon...it will get better soon!!

March 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
(double post)

March 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that, my DD was like that in the first few weeks (she was also a preemie, don't know if that has anything to do with it). If he's your only child, you can sleep when he sleeps during the day, that should help you during the night.

March 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont have any advice, just sympathy and I hope it passes soon.

March 31st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear it's been a rough go at night. Have you thought about co-sleeping? I never thought I'd co-sleep, but it was our sanity saver with Makenna. We all got sleep again and were fully rested. Of course, it didn't solve our daytime dilema of her refusing to nap during the day.
April 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My recommendation would have been keeping him awake during the day if possible...but apparently that doesn't help. So my next recommendation would be, is there anyway you can switch it so you are on his schedule? I don't know what your work situation is (like are you a working mom or a SAHM) but if you are a SAHM could you possibly make your cleaning, etc. time during the night and your daytime your sleep time? Some people work graveyards, maybe some SAHM have to too. My lil guy sleeps longer at night, and Rock slept through the night before he was even 2 months old. And I don't exactly remember with Courtney...so I'm not sure I have any great advice.

April 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with co-sleeping, nights were a nightmare with all my kids unless they were beside me. Once they get past the newborn sleepy stage (preemies are often sleepy until close to their due date, then get into the regular wake/sleep patterns of newborns), I got no sleep at night unless baby was right next to me. DD1 had her days/nights mixed up, so that took a couple weeks to straighten itself out. The first few weeks are the hardest, but it gets better quickly, I promise. Hugs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search