**Updated - UTI - need antibiotics and I'm terrified! (long)

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2009, 06:08 AM
CriscoNinja
Ok, I'll try to make this as short-winded as possible. My doc called yesterday and said I have a UTI (had no clue, no symptoms...) so she called in an antibiotic. No biggie for most. Well for me it is.

Last year for 4 months I suffered from a colostrum difficile (c.diff) infection in my colon (This may be TMI). It caused pseudomembranous colitis (which is an inflammation of your colon which can lead to major complications including death if not treated.) Ok, well for 4 months I was misdiagnosed and the bug had a field day. I was on steriods, anti-immune drugs, you name it. FINALLY got the right diagnosis and the doctor was surprised I wasn't hospitalized by then. Long story short it was 4 months of he**. I pretty much lived in the bathroom and I almost lost my job.

ANYWHO, since I was struggling with it for 4 months, my GI doc is suspicious that I'm colonized (gross I know). So I need to avoid unnecessary antibitotics. So now I'm torn. I'm planning on calling my OB and asking, but I'm still nervous she'll want me to take it.

What kind of affect can a UTI have on the baby? Is it worth trying home remedies (are there even any?) The problem is the 2 drugs that are used to treat c.diff are not recommended during pregnancy.

ARGH. any advice??

UPDATE: Well she called back and the antibiotic she put me on has a very low incidence of causing c-diff to appear so I'm going to be taking it. She told me it was more important to treat the UTI and I never doubted that, I was just nervous about which antibiotic she prescribed. And she said if the c-diff comes back, we'll deal with it if and when the time comes. I feel better now, and I'm off to fill the prescription. (Just to let you know, "broad-spectrum" antibitotics are usually the the trigger for c-diff (not the cause) so things like amoxicillin. The one she prescribed me is a "narrow" one that only fights certain bugs. so YAY)

Last edited by CriscoNinja; March 31st, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: update
March 31st, 2009, 06:22 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm so sorry you had to go through that for so long. That sounds awful. I would call your OB and discuss it further with her. See if she'll let you try some natural remedies first and the retest you to see if it cleared up. I hope she'll go for that and it works!

March 31st, 2009, 06:34 AM
Violette's Avatar Veteran
Please call yoiur doctor a.s.a.p. Im not going to tell you what to do but an untreated UTI is also very dangerous as it can quickly spread to your kidneys.

I would recommend calling both of your doctors to find out your safest course of action.
March 31st, 2009, 07:42 AM
*Hayley*
omg. i can't believer you wrote this. we are living with my grandma who is in the hospital with c.diff and i am terrified for her to come home. she also has VRE.

c.diff is a NASTY bacterial infection that drug resistant, for those who are unaware.

we've been doing TONS of reading on this and my husband said there is a certain type of antibiotic for c.diff that is safe during the 1st trimester. is your OB aware of your bowel issues? Is c.diff still present? your doctor should be able to tell you the risks of dealing with a uti. However, any infection in the body is not good as it can lead to septic shock, even a small cut on your finger.

KUP on things...i'm SO sorry you are dealing with this...
March 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hayley* View Post
omg. i can't believer you wrote this. we are living with my grandma who is in the hospital with c.diff and i am terrified for her to come home. she also has VRE.
Yeah, it's pretty scary I got really good at cleaning my bathroom with bleach since it's the only thing that will kill it. Regular antibiotic cleaners like 409 and such just spread it around! They also have no idea how I got it, I was not in the hospital or anything. A dose of antibiotics for a sinus infection is what triggered it.

Quote:
we've been doing TONS of reading on this and my husband said there is a certain type of antibiotic for c.diff that is safe during the 1st trimester. is your OB aware of your bowel issues?
She's sort of aware, that's why I called her back today to ask. I was reading that metronidazole is NOT safe during 1st tri, and that they THINK Vancomycin is safe for 1st tri, but there have been no real large studies on it.

Quote:
Is c.diff still present? your doctor should be able to tell you the risks of dealing with a uti. However, any infection in the body is not good as it can lead to septic shock, even a small cut on your finger.
I no longer have the toxins present, but that means that the active c.diff is gone. My GI suspects that I have the dormant spores which the metro and vanco can't kill... That means they sit and wait until I have another upset to my GI flora And I am scared about just leaving the UTI alone too.

Quote:
KUP on things...i'm SO sorry you are dealing with this...
Thanks, I will post again after I talk with my OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violette View Post
Please call yoiur doctor a.s.a.p. Im not going to tell you what to do but an untreated UTI is also very dangerous as it can quickly spread to your kidneys.

I would recommend calling both of your doctors to find out your safest course of action.

I put in a call to my OB, and also my GI. I'll let you know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I'm so sorry you had to go through that for so long. That sounds awful. I would call your OB and discuss it further with her. See if she'll let you try some natural remedies first and the retest you to see if it cleared up. I hope she'll go for that and it works!

Thanks, I will let you know what she says, I'm not sure if cranberry juice will help once you have a UTI? (the only home remedy I know )
March 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Snowpeas
I have no idea, but am thinking about you. Please let us know what your OB and GI doctor says. I'm so sorry you have to go through all that. ((hugs))
March 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
If you have any questions i would not even question to call your OB. I was told I had a UTI after my 1st OB appointment and they put me on something my husband is really allergic to and I called asking all sorts of weird question, they shouldn't mind

March 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
If you have questions about the antibiotic your on, please contact your local Pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist. They are the experts when it comes to drugs. They can see what category your antibiotic is in..

I found a site for you.. It's a site where you can look up the Pregnancy Drug Category on medications.

Drugs in Pregnancy : SafeFetus.com

I did look up vancomycin for you.. It does cross the Placenta.. If there's other choices, I'd go with something else.. I don't like the idea of any drug crossing over to the baby..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 31st, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
March 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Aww I am glad that your doc made you feel better with the choice of anitboitics. Good luck getting the UTI better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search