My baby has body odor!!!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
MegansMommy0531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, to start off, I have never heard of a 2 month old having body odor. A few days ago, I smelled a little BO on Alex. This was just after I switched to Burt's Bees Baby wash, and 2 days since his last bath (I usually bathe him every other day) so I thought that since Burt's Bee's was "all natural" maybe it wasn't cleansing as well, hence the BO? Keep in mind I have a nearly 2 year old, so bathing babies is nothing new to me..... Anyway, I bathed him, and the next day the BO was back! So, I bathed him the next day using our old product, which is Huggies Shea Butter baby wash, and again, the BO is back the next day! I have never used lotion or powder on my babies, just haven't needed that stuff. I guess my question is, why do Alex have BO?? I bathe him every 48 hours, bathe him WELL (i.e., get in all his nooks & crannies) dry him well, put freshly laundered clothes on him, etc!) Why does he stink?!?! I feel so bad for my little guy!!! Any advice? Please help!!!

April 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you on supplements of any kind that might be going through your milk to him? I haven't heard of a 2 mo having BO either but I suppose if he's sweating it's very possible!
April 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmm, interesting! I have been taking Fenugreek, and never noticed Alex having BO before I started it! The thing is, he doesn't smell like maple (Fenugreek) but could the Fenugreek be causing his BO??? Now you have me curious!!

April 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry but this is totally making me LOL.

I would def ask a dr about that, I have never heard of a baby having bo. Hope you are able to figure out what the issues is soon so your little one will start smelling like a baby again!!

April 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Hmmm... odd!! Poor little guy LOL Maybe put some deodorant on him??? TOTALLY kidding...

I might call the pediatrician... just outta curiosity!!
April 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
~~~Sue~~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~~~Sue~~~
have you changed anything else like your laundry soap? I also take the ferngeek stuff but dont have the bo on baby. Is it more like a sweaty stink or spit up? I am not sure of any suggestions but I wouldnt add anything to baby like powder or lotions (unless unsented lotions for dryness) but nothing for the bo.... good luck!
April 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
4monkiesmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My six year old has BO as well!Poor thing wears deodorant when it's hot out already as per the dr. The dr. checked her growth to make sure it wasn't too crazy in one year because sometimes pituitary problems can cause BO! So I don't want to scare you, but I would get him to the dr asap. Hopefully it's the fenugreek!
April 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How interesting, I wonder what's causing it. I bet it could be the fenugreek. I'm interested to hear what you find out!
April 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
KrystalB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No idea.. haven't ever heard of this before.. hope you figure something out!

My Chart
April 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I'm baffled. I really don't think there is anything medically wrong with him though, so I've decided I am going to stop taking the Fenugreek and give him a good bath every day (instead of every other) with the Huggies baby wash, and do this for a few days and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, I will take him to the doctor. This is just such an odd problem to have!

April 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I cant believe you posted this! I am having the same problem with Joey!
His armpits smell like an adult and he is sweaty alot too. I am not overdressing him or anything. I am hoping to bring him in tomorrow so I will post what happens...

Thank you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!
April 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
KrystalB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amie - let us know if stopping the Fenugreek makes a difference. I have a bottle of it here that I keep debating whether to start it or not. I'd love to have an increase in my supply but I'm iffy on wanting to take it or not. Did you notice a big increase in your supply?

My Chart
April 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Tracey-- PLEASE tell me what your ped says! I am so on the fence whether to take him in ASAP or give it a few days. DH thinks it's nothing and to do what I described, so I'm going to try to go that route. If Alex isn't 'smelling pretty' by Thursday, it's off to the ped we go.

Krystal-- the Fenugreek WORKS! I started out taking 2 pills in the morning with breakfast, and I noticed an increase in my supply about 12 hours later (seems to have more of a delay than the mother's milk tea), then I started taking an additional 2 pills in the evening, and this is when I started noticing the "BO" smell on Alex. It has enabled me to pump bunches for the freezer, so that has been nice, but if it is giving Alex problems, it totally isn't worth it to me. (and when I say bunches, I mean it! This morning I pumped 7oz from one breast alone, and I didn't even wait until it was empty, I just got tired of pumping! Crazy stuff! I knew I was REALLY full, so for the first time since Megan was a baby, I got out a big bottle! Good thing I did too, since the Medela bottles only hold 5 oz).

April 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to add that Im not taking any kind of supplements either. I will definately let you know what the ped says...

April 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreMakes4 View Post
I wanted to add that Im not taking any kind of supplements either. I will definately let you know what the ped says...
Interesting!! I will be waiting on pins and needles waiting to hear what your ped said!!!! How often do you do baths and what products do you use?

April 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm new here and found this site since I'm going through the same thing with
my 6 month daughter. She recently started prevacid and treated for a c diff infection.
I'm starting to wonder if it is an allergy to wheat/gluten causing some type of toxins to be released. Just wanted to see if anybody else found anything out?
April 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been mia Im sorry Im just responding now!
I did take the baby to the ped snd she didnt really have lot to say about it. She said she hadnt had it alot but it wasnt never either. She couldnt even say whay could be causing it except that it was possible that it was hormonal and we would just "watch him" to see if it went away.
He goes back May 8th for his 4 month and as of today he still has it. Is the only place you are smelling anything the babys armpits? Thats what it is for me. Even when he doesnt seem to be sweating much at all. I have taken no supplements and am on no meds and neither is he. I use Huggies and/or Johnson and Johnson baby wash.
He is a little big for his age anf I know your son is too? Anything else we can compare?
Oh and I had gestational diabetes what about you?

April 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, this is weird. Alex is VERY big for his age, he was born at 10lbs 1oz, and although I wasn't diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I'm not sure I didn't have it, as I am overweight and I had a super huge baby. Other than that, the supplements I take for BFing are WAY below the "minimum" for increasing milk, so I have a hard time believing it's that. A few weeks ago I did call the ped and I left a message with the nurse about his BO, and the nurse said the doctor had never heard of such a thing, so they didn't need me to come in, but said to mention it the next time we were in, but he didn't need an appointment for just that.

However, a couple of baths ago, I washed him and then sniffed his armpits, and his armpits were immediately smelly!!! So.... I had DH hold him, and I lifted his arms, and there was this nasty greasy stuff deep in a crease.... so, I took a baby wipe (or two) and I wiped out his armpits really well (they have alchohol in them, but not as much as an alchohol wipe) and them I dried them, then I powdered them. I know powder is a no-no, but I put it in my hand first, then used my finger to dab it into his armpits.... I also used the cornstarch baby powder, which is supposed to be more absorbant....

HTH and keep me posted!!!!

April 27th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmmm...One more thing, I think Joey might have a little reflux going on and I may give a call today. I am not sure tho. It didnt seem that way at first but he seems to be spitting up more and more instead of less.
Joey was 8'13 when he was born but then again all my kids were above average weights. I will give the wipe/powder a try. Has it seemed to work for you?

April 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
4monkiesmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck Ladies! Like I had mentioned before, my 6 year old has it, and the dr is keeping an eye for hormonal issues...I hope you all get some answers!!! Ava doesn't have any odor and she was big as well, so I'm not sure, but hormonal does seem likely, though my 6 year old is checking out completely healthy!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search