Do any of you pros have opinions? HELP!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
Okay so my next appointment is on May 13th and I'll be 17 weeks 1 day along.

My Sis in Law is preggo and getting her gender u/s on May 12th.

My docs office has an u/s machine and tech right in office. I am thinking about lobbying to have the u/s on the 13th if they can squeeze me in.

They usually try not to do them before the 20th week but I don't wanna wait!!

So is it possible to find out the gender at 17 weeks? Or am I better off to wait until week 20 and just not push it?

Plus other ladies are finding out in here and it's making me sooooooooo want to know what I'm having!! LOL

April 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you should easily be able to determine gender at 17 weeks if baby cooperates. Could even do it at 16 weeks and get an accurate (100%) result.

My doc has the tech and 2 u/s machines in office and won't give me one early
i'm going to an outside 4d studio, but it'd be much nicer to just get the scan in office! They might pull the "can't do it unless it's medically necessary" excuse on you, because they have to clear it with insurance (if they report it) and the gender determination isn't just for gender, but a level 2 u/s where they check organs and all that good stuff.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

April 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, for sure you could see the gender, but I'm not sure if they would consider you to be far enough along to do the rest of the anatomy scan, I think they like you to be 18 weeks+ for that.

April 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a reason to wait. There are many developmental things that they can see closer to 20 weeks that make it easier to determine how the baby is doing. For example, by 20 wks, you should see all 4 chambers of the heart. If you go earlier, they may not see everything they want to (because it's a little early, not because there is necessarily anything wrong). Now, they may already be able to see everything they want to...in which case an earlier u/s is fine. It can depend on the quality of the machine, too. But, their major focus is the development of the baby, so I'd ask and see if they want you to wait or if it's OK to have it done early. Can't wait to hear how things go...

April 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At 17 weeks you should be able to see the gender no problem, however..like klt said, they do it closer to 20 weeks to check the health of the baby, not just the gender. So if your Dr won't do one a few weeks later to check everything, then I'd wait for the 20 week one.

April 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

We should be getting an earlier echo done but that's due to history. When done by a cardio the 4 chambers (god willing there will be 4) can be seen at 16 weeks.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
It sounds like I should ask but then expect that I will end up having to just be patient...and of course I want them to be able to make sure that my baby is perfectly healthy first and foremost so it makes sense though I must admit I was hoping to hear 17 weeks would be fine. LOL. I just can't wait to find out!

April 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I seen Owen's at 17 weeks and some odd days no problems! I know my last tech was like if I can see the gender do you want to and I said yes, even though I already knew.

Thanks to cavewoman

April 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Snowpeas
I have to wait until 20 weeks too. In a way it's frustrating to know that I could potentially know the gender already but I know it's good to be closer to 20 weeks (if possible) to do the level II u/s since they can see the anatomy so much better to determine if there's any potential problems. The good thing is by week 20 the accuracy of determining the gender is at the highest point - about 90-95%.
April 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
hoping4more
im having a hard time waiting also. my doc does them 18-20 weeks. but no earlier then 18 weeks. but you can always try and get one at 18 weeks.... he might go for that one... he might not.
April 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as you can also get an u/s closer to 20 weeks, it can't hurt to also ask for the earlier one. I have one scheduled for 18 weeks and then the big, make sure everything is measuring okay, one at 19 weeks 1 day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+peanut View Post
I have to wait until 20 weeks too. In a way it's frustrating to know that I could potentially know the gender already but I know it's good to be closer to 20 weeks (if possible) to do the level II u/s since they can see the anatomy so much better to determine if there's any potential problems. The good thing is by week 20 the accuracy of determining the gender is at the highest point - about 90-95%.

Is 19 weeks 1 day okay for a level II u/s? I'm pretty sure that's when mine is being done.
April 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
hoping4more
you could always see what prices are for gender determination and pay an outside u/s place then go to your reg. appt. where i am theres a place that will do it in 2d and give your min of 5 pics for 75 dollars. i dont think thats to much really. im going to wait though until my 19th and see what it is, if they cant tell then im gonna pay
April 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post

Is 19 weeks 1 day okay for a level II u/s? I'm pretty sure that's when mine is being done.
I'm sure that's fine. That's only a few days away from 20 weeks anyway.
April 20th, 2009, 05:13 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
at 17 weeks you can.

They usually do the big scan/ level 2 scan at 17-22 weeks.

April 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only 16 weeks and a few days and they were able to tell the gender easily. However, I have the "big" ultrasound scheduled for 20 weeks. If I were only doing one, I would probably wait closer to 20 weeks - although it would be hard.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
April 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
I have my anatomy u/s (will also be finding out the gender then) and drs apt on the 13th and I'm only 2 days ahead of you so I don't see why not Hopefully they can squeeze you in then we could both find out on the same day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search