in the delivery room....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
hoping4more
how many of you werent allowed to eat or drink? i was allowed to do both until i got my epi. then i could only have fluids... i have heard of many people only allowed ice chips. just seems strange to me cause that was never my case.
April 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
couldn't have anything but popsicles. I was NOT HAPPY!!! especially considering I was induced at 6am and Holden didn't come around until 7:21pm.

that doesn't mean I didn't sneak a little something here and there though

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

April 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
hoping4more
ahh! i dont know how you did it the nurse for me as soon as i got all in my bed was like are you hungry? you want a turkey sandwich? gingerale? its sounds weird though because i have friends who have delivered at the same hospital and they say they werent allowed drinks either just ice... weird huh?

your son is so cute by the way
April 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
BentleysMommy's Avatar Member
I wasn't allowed anything except ice chips!
April 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
jealous!! even after I delivered, they freaking put me on magnesium that made me soo incredibly sick. So when the nurse brought me some disgusting bag-lunch with the plainest roast beef sandwich i'd ever tasted, I only took a few bites before I couldn't handle anymore.

Maybe.. they're afraid of preggos pooping on the table? or emergency c-section? who knows

ETA: thanks!

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

April 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was allowed to eat and drink, but didn't have much of an appetite until after the birth. Drank lots of water though!

April 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was encouraged to eat and drink as needed. Denying a labouring woman food is kinda cruel if you ask me. That energy is needed.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had c/sections so obviously I wasn't allowed anything but ice chips. Even after, it was just ice chips for awhile. I was SOOOO thirsty after my last c/section (probably because of the tube down my throat) and they gave me a few sips of water that I ended up chugging and then I threw it all up.

April 20th, 2009, 05:20 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
hmmmm I was never told I couldn't have anything, but then again I didn't care to.

April 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Super Mommy
When i was in labor with chase I didnt eat solid foods for 48 hours! I was pissed!

I went into labor at 2am and he was born by csection at 8:18pm!! Then they put me on a liquid diet after they assured me once the baby was out I could "eat" who wants hospital chicken broth and jello after they labored and starved for 48 hours!!!! Needless to say, I was too pissed... ICE CHIPS DONT EVEN HELP WITH THE THIRSt...

this time when the babies born I am REFUSING magnesium.
April 20th, 2009, 05:46 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I was only allowed ice chips as well which sucks because I HATE ice. It doesn't do a darn bit of good when your mouth is all dried out and you're really thirsty. By the time Ben was born I was so hungry and thirsty I actually felt sick from it.

April 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
Ok, they said I couldn't but I knew my nurse and she snuck me food with Owen. KJ my water broke at 8pm and he came at 1:05am, Owen my water broke at 11am and in the hospital I stopped at their little place and had a turkey club before I walked up to L&D because my bag just tore and I wasn't leaking much and then I delivered him at 10:45pm and she snuck me a ham and cheese sandwich before I went on my pit drops. Last time my water broke at 9pm (so I wasn't hungry) and I had him at 6:21am and I don't remember eating at all that day and I was out of the hospital by 6:30pm. This time I'm just hoping my water breaks like Owen's or it doesn't break until 8-9pm and it is a quick delivery.

Thanks to cavewoman

April 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was only allowed ice chips but wasn't really hungry until Breana was born then watch out I was ready to eat a house!!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
CriscoNinja
I wasn't allowed anything with either of mine, but that doesn't mean I didn't raid the family fridge when I was walking the halls!! Nothing tastes better than a forbidden turkey sandwich and apple juice!!

I'll sneak food with this one too. I'm in labor for over 20 hrs, so no food is really mean if you ask me!!
April 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure what my hospitals policy is, but either way I'm bringing some snacks/drinks in my bag in case I get hungry during labor - whether or not they say I can eat. Screw them if they think I'm going to go 20 hours without eating or drinking! lol.
April 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Snowpeas
I was allowed to drink whatever I wanted. I'm not sure what their policy was on eating (I ate when I was in labor at home) and labored at the actual hospital only at night (9pm until 6am) so I wasn't hungry.
I did throw up whatever I had eaten though so I'm not sure it was such a good idea for me...
April 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
I couldn't eat. They gave me a fluid drip to keep me hydrated so I never actually needed anything to drink. i was starving by the time she was born.

I don't know where all of you are from. I delivered in lancaster, PA and here we have a hospital that specializes in pregnant women. When you deliver and are in the hopsital you get like gormet food. It was so good. They give you a lot too. I rmemeber eating pancakes in the morning and having turkey and cheese sandwich. OMG I can't wait. LOL

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

Last edited by shannonkcc; April 20th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
April 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
I actually don't remember being hungry. Actually I had to have been hungry because I went in at 2am and I didn't deliver until 530pm. I know I probably hadn't eaten since 8 pm the night before. I do remember immediately asking for the hospital menu. The food was delish :-)
April 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
i labored from 10pm all the way until 5pm the NEXT day with NOTHING but popsicles! And about 6 hours before delivery (when I had only progressed to 3cm and they thought, hey, this girl might need a c-section!) i was cut off my popsicles and was allowed ice chips only.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

April 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I ate the whole time and I was in labor for 32 hours, I just picked from the menu.. I had a 4 course meal.. I did the first 12 hours without an epidural and the last 20 hours with a epidural. They started the Pitocin at 7 am on Sept 27th and I had Adriana at 3:40pm on Sept 28th.. My labor was different from the rest of you.. I was induced for medical reasons at 39 weeks and I had NO signs of labor until they started the Pitocin.. That's why I was able to eat.. They were trying to trick my body to go into labor.. They were not able to break my water because Adriana was not engaged in the birth canal, if they did break it, there would be a big chance the cord would have come out first..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSunshine View Post
i labored from 10pm all the way until 5pm the NEXT day with NOTHING but popsicles!
That doesn't sound like fun.. I would have been dying if I wasn't allowed to eat.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 20th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search