delivery stories....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
hoping4more
i was wondering if any new moms had questions that they wanted answered.. or already moms that had an experience that they didnt know existed until they delivered. something to encourage and prepare moms to be... or to just to share.

i was very upset and depressed and moody at the end of my first pregnancy because i was terrified of labor. i had been told multiple horror stories, i was super modest and couldnt stand the thought of having people looking at me and all. i never took birthing classes cause whenever i saw pics of women in labor i would break down and cry... after all that emotional stuff i finally went into labor and had an experience i didnt expect. first of all i had great labors with both my kids, cant say thats everyones experience... but everyone is different and just because one person had it great or another horrible doesnt determine your experience. and in the end it doesnt matter anymore anyway. and with my second my labor went so much better emotionally that is... and now i actually cant wait to go into labor! so heres a few things i didnt expect....

when you get to the hospital they need to register you aven though you already preregistered, they go through all your same paperwork and make sure nothings changed.

then they call the delivery room, you go in and behold theres chairs for you to sit and wait in until a nurse comes to get you. there wasnt a bed ready for me right away my first time in.

also if your water breaks prior put on a pad... i totally didnt and my pants where soaked while i had to register and wait in the other room.

let them take your blood right away, they cant give you any meds until they get your blood drawn. and it takes probably an hour or so after to get your epi. so even if your planning on having meds. make sure your prepared to deal with the contractions until they get it to you. i think i waited about 2 hours with gabriel, and i waited at least 3 hours with jesse.
April 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Snowpeas
I refused to think about delivery because I was told so many horrible stories (including, "you think you're going to die, but don't worry you won't") Gee thanks! I didn't take any classes, didn't talk about it, refused to admit it was going to happen. lol

My experience was awesome. It was the best experience in the world!!! Painful yes, but I was able to handle it sooooo much better than I thought (didn't get an epidural until in transition and still loved it). The second she was born I knew I wanted to do it all over again. It was the most amazing moment of my life....one I will never forget, ever.

I am super modest as well but it's really true that at the time it's the furthest thing from your mind...after all you are about to meet your baby that you carried and bonded with for so many long months. And so many things are going on with your body that require your attention you really don't even notice.

Things I wish I had changed:
I wish I had a mirror to see her born. Every other person in the room got to see her head first appear, see her head born, she her body come out. They all told me the details (including that the doctor made her hair into a mohawk while he waited for her to be born) but I feel I missed out on seeing it for myself...and I was the one doing all the work!!

They immediately whisked her to a corner to check her out (hospital policy). I really, really would have liked to have her on my belly and meet her right away.

They didn't show me how to breastfeed until I was in the postpartum room and she was almost three hours old. By then she was super sleepy and didn't want to nurse. I think that's why she got jaundice as bad as she did.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing!

Random tips:
Make a fist and put it under your hip when they're doing a pelvic exam to check for dilation. It makes it much more comfortable and easier for them to reach.

Also tensing up during a contraction is makes them much more painful. Try to relax as much as you can, they will be much more effective and easier to handle.

You will bleed A LOT right after the birth and for the day of the birth. Then it will start to slow down to a heavy period, then it will turn lighter and lighter until it's yellowish before it goes away (6 weeks for me). This is normal. Thank goodness someone warned me about this because I got up to clean up after having her and blood was running down my leg and seemed to be everywhere. I would have thought it was serious but it's just your body getting rid of the extras. Within a couple days it was a moderate to light period already.

Last edited by Snowpeas; April 20th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
April 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Super Mommy
This is a great thread, please keep it going! I am a first time mom-to-be & I feel I can never be too prepared, so keep the tips and the 'things you were never told but know now' coming!
Thanks ladies

April 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One thing that would have freaked me out after delivery that I was lucky someone told me about was night sweats. With my first PG, I had pre-eclampsia and I retained a TON (and I mean lots and lots) of water. About 2 days after delivery, I'd wake up in the middle of the night SOAKED from head to toe...like I just stood in the pouring rain. Not all women have this, but, if you do, at least you'll know it's normal. Your body just needs to get rid of the fluid retention, and it does...

My labor and delivery was all great...Epidurals are wonderful and the work is worth it. Can't think of anything that stands out about them. But, if I do, I'll come back and add

April 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
double post...ugh

April 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
If your getting induced be prepared for a possibility of having a LONG labor.. I personally wouldn't get induced unless it was medically necessary.. I was induced at 39 weeks and 1 because I was high risk and I was not allowed to go past 39 weeks.. On my inducement day I had NO signs of labor.. Not one contraction.. Basically the Pitocin they had me on had to trick my body to go into labor.. They were not able to brake my water because Adriana was not engaged in the birth canal.. Which means, if they broke my water, there's a high chance the cord could come out first.. Vary bad! My labor lasted 32 hours!! Yes, 32 hours!!!! My water broke 30 hours into my inducement.. But my "actual" labor only lasted a hour maybe.. I remember feeling a intense pressure (I had an epidural) and I just upped my meds.. lol The nurses came into check me and Adriana was already half way down the canal.. I only pushed 4 times.. It was easy.. She came so fast and was perfect when she was born.. Even her head was shapped perfectly.. ..

I did the first 12 hour without an epidural (which hurt like crazy) and the last 20 hours with a epidural.. I personally think no woman can go through a long inducement like that naturally.. You would be so tired from the pain, you'd have no energy to push.. What sucked about me getting an epidural was they had to check my blood sugar every hour.. Bascially I didn't get that much sleep.. Towards the end, I just told the nurses just to pick a finger.. They already got each finger 3 times.. lol

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 21st, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
April 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, maybe I can offer some insight for those that might have a c/section.
1st.. It's NOT as horrible as everyone makes it out to be.
I knew my entire pregnancy I'd end up with a c/section. Just with my Moms history and my body, I knew. So when they came in and said, we're gonna do a c/section after having an u/s and guessing the baby to be 10lbs...I wasn't at all surprised.

They prep you, put your gown on, hair thingy, slipper socks. Give you your IV, etc...
Then (for both of mine) I walked to the OR. I thought it was so strange that I was walking myself to the OR. lol
The OR is COLD!! I walk in and INSTANTLY start shivering and teeth shattering, part nerves, part being sub zero. lol
You get on the table and sit with your feet hanging off the side of the table. Anesteciologist starts the spinal. You sit curled as best you can torward your belly, pushing your spine out. My Dr held me both times, as tight as possible, just for security, to make sure I didn't jump and because I was scared and cold. Then the anesteciologist does his thing, which to be honest, feels VERY weird. With my first, it was smooth sailing, 1st try, put it in and almost instantly my butt went numb. They lay you down and you just feel your entire self going numb. Legs, feet, butt, belly, even your chest.
My 2nd, didn't go as smooth and the anesteciologist didn't get it in the 1st try, he was hitting different nerves, my legs, my arm, etc... And my leg would kick (which REALLY REALLY freaked me out), finally he got it in and I felt my butt go numb and then my legs...then nothing.
My spinal didn't take. They do a pinch test on you, pinch your belly HARD to see if you feel it, so don't worry about that. They will NOT cut you if you feel it!
With my first, I didn't feel it and they cut. I had told them NOT to tell me when they were going to cut. Now, there is pressure and tugging but NO pain. It feels like someone is washing your belly roughly and it's bouncing all around, but doesn't hurt. That's them moving everything out of their way to get the baby and pulling it out, etc...
It goes suprisingly quick, she was out in about 5 minutes. The entire process was about 45 minutes and that includes your spinal, washing your tummy, shaving it, them prepping their tools, etc, etc...
With my second, when they did the pinch test, I could feel it so they decided to put me under. It REALLY REALLY scared me and I started crying so hard.
OH, Also... they strap your hands down during a c/section. Just for safety reasons, they don't want you trying to reach down or anything like that.
After they put me under, I heard in the far far far distance a baby crying and then I felt my Dr waking me up and calling my name. It was all over, I was hearing my baby cry and everything was good.

Both were very different from each other but both turned out ok.

The recovery is rough, especially with the 1st. The first time they have you stand up, which is about 8 hours after surgery, it HURTS! Your incision is so tender!! Just take it slow, BREATHE!
I was walking up and down stairs just fine by day 4, just a little slow and careful.
They also make sure you have a bowelmovement or pass gas before they can discharge you and the first time, I was like WHAT? I have to tell you when I fart?? lol But trust me, they've seen it all, heard it all and cleaned it all. Don't be shy with them. lol
It's also difficult to go #2 after a c/section and they will give you a stool softener just to make it easier. TAKE THEM!!
With my 2nd, recovery was MUCH easier. It didn't hurt as bad standing up that first time and I was walking to the nursery the next day by myself. I didn't take any pain meds after my 2nd c/section.
Also, I didn't know this but you can shower after your c/section. It feels good to have that water being washed over you. So don't be afraid it'll hurt or anything, it doesn't.

April 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Hmmm.... just cuz your doctor says that the baby may be this big or that big... and that your labor may be long or short does not mean they are right. LOL They REALLY cannot be 100% sure.

When you are pushing... there is this "ring of fire" as the head is crowning... its normal.... push through it you are right there at the end. and once the babies head is out its gone.

Bring your OWN pads to the hospital. YUCK the hospital pads and mesh undies are gross.

Don't be pressured into drugs or an epi... if you don't want it, don't let them talk you into it.

Hmmm.... just cuz your doctor says that the baby may be this big or that big... and that your labor may be long or short does not mean they are right. LOL They REALLY cannot be 100% sure.

When you are pushing... there is this "ring of fire" as the head is crowning... its normal.... push through it you are right there at the end. and once the babies head is out its gone.

Bring your OWN pads to the hospital. YUCK the hospital pads and mesh undies are gross.

Don't be pressured into drugs or an epi... if you don't want it, don't let them talk you into it.

April 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Amen Drewbears! I am amazed that doctors prep women for a c-section when they are like a month pregnant based on frame size, etc! I have a very small frame, weighed 104 before getting pregnant and know my body is more than capable of pushing out an 8+ lb baby cause it did it before!

I would like to add that if something seems weird to you or if you are uncomfortable with something don't be afraid to speak up. This is YOUR labor and delivery! Docs these days are so used to things going their way and it's almost as if the woman's comfort is an afterthought. I don't mean comfort as in receiving pain relief as they are very fast to administer that..I just mean your mental well being.

Oh and don't listen to womens' horror stories. For some reason women seem to think it's a fun pastime scaring new moms. I think this is horrible and just wish they would keep their mouths shut. If you don't have encouraging things to say to a pregnant mom, then say nothing at all.
April 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
hoping4more
you know i just remembered something, with my first right after i delivered they forgot to give me an ice pack... yes for down there. im not sure if its because i tore or if its normal, but they forgot and because of that i had to have a cafiter sp?? sorry so bad at spelling cause i was so swollen i couldnt go. but with my second they just put the cafiter in while i was laboring... i had epi. with both. i heard usually if you have an epi. you must have cafiter... dunno for sure... expect one though...its really not that bad.

also for anyone if you tear, they wont sew you up until you are numb... if you had an epi you may already be numb, if not they give you novicane... i always thought it was a needle, but my doc just poured it on me and i didtnt feel a thing.

also after you give birth youll most likely have cramping.. as your uterus goes down it can be painful. if you nurse it is supposed to hurt a littel more? not sure how true it is though. anyway they will provide you with 800 mg. motrine and they will give you a prescription for home. with my second the cramps actually where worse, my doctor told me surprisingly they get worse with your second and he gave me oxy's for them. i recommend the motrine though if you can deal with only that. i couldnt with my second it was painful so i took the oxy's which worked great but i felt all foggy and when ichanged my sons diaper he kept peeing all over the place cause my reflexes where slowed up a lot.
April 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Veteran
Best advice I got (from our Bradley instructor) that turned out completely accurate was to do NO stairs and to stay in bed for a least one week, two with the c/s. Now, I was up at the end of the first day in the hospital and walked round the floor, but when I got home, I really took care to stay in the bedroom. Even had the nurse do a bedside visit to remove the staples.
So, I know that everyone thinks...No way can I stay in the bedroom that long...rethink, and say that you can. The body heals SO much more efficiently when you do.

Best advice I got (from our Bradley instructor) that turned out completely accurate was to do NO stairs and to stay in bed for a least one week, two with the c/s. Now, I was up at the end of the first day in the hospital and walked round the floor, but when I got home, I really took care to stay in the bedroom. Even had the nurse do a bedside visit to remove the staples.
So, I know that everyone thinks...No way can I stay in the bedroom that long...rethink, and say that you can. The body heals SO much more efficiently when you do.
April 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
with my second the cramps actually where worse, my doctor told me surprisingly they get worse with your second and he gave me oxy's for them.
Your doctor gave you oxycontin?? Seriously? My doc wrote me a prescription for Percocet which I ended up not getting because I was nursing and didn't want that passing into my milk. I thought that was pretty strong at the time, but I can't imagine a doc prescribing oxy for a women who just delivered. That stuff is strong and so many people get addicted. Maybe I am that out of the loop!
April 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Well, maybe I can offer some insight for those that might have a c/section.
1st.. It's NOT as horrible as everyone makes it out to be.
I agree, but I'll just give my . With my first I labored for 23 hrs, with them breaking my water, giving me ptiocin and me having an epi. I really truly think I didn't progress since I had absolutely NO support in my labor (ex-hubby was a jerk to say the least). Since they broke my water they wanted baby out in 12 hrs due to risk of infection. I only got to 7 cm dialted when they decided an emergency c-section was in order. It was a good thing I had an epi in, they just gave me a huge dose and I was numb from right under my boobs down. It made it feel very weird to breathe!

One I was in the OR, they strapped my arms down, out like a cross, draped that sheet so you can't see your tummy (and believe me, I don't think you want to! LOL) and then my now ex-hubby came in. It was fairly straight-forward, they had to sort of "pop" my son out from under my ribs... He was gorgeous (of course!). He was 8 lbs, 6 ozs.

Recovery was slow, and again I think it was lack of support. As soon as I got home I was expected to resume everything, cooking, cleaning, the whole nine yards. (any clue why he's an EX-husband?) It wasn't as bad as I thought, but man the gas HURT. It's like your insides are rearranging themselves.

On to my daughter...

I really wanted to try a VBAC. My doc was for it, so on we trucked. I read everything I could...I got a better labor coach (i was still married to icky ex-hubby) so my sister came to be my coach. After another 23 hrs of labor, natural water breaking, pitocin, epi I was dialated to 10 cm. I pushed for about 30 mins and she was out!! She was 7 lbs 4ozs and had the same size head as my son!!

Recovery was faster but different. Instead of my stomache hurting it was my hoo-haa!

So, I've had it both ways. I'm trying for another VBAC, but if I have another c-section I'll be just fine!! I'm not worried either way. Just want a happy healthy babe!

** Also after my c-section I was very shaky... I guess that's normal...
April 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM
*Hayley*
couple of things i wished i would have known about:
1) down there gets swollen the closer you are to delivery
2) swelling takes a while to go down after delivery (for me anyway)
3) epidurals can cause you to shake terribly
4) back labor is worse than delivery
5) the nurses come in to "massage" your uterus the first 24-48 hours depending on how long you stay at the hospital and it is not pleasant...not exactly painful, but definitely not fun
6) after I delivered and my organs were readjusting, breathing felt different. Not necessarily difficult or anything, just odd.
7) i bled just short of 6 weeks after delivery and don't remember anyone really telling me about that.

couple of things I didn't experience and/or disagree about
1) those mesh undies and pads LOVED THEM. seriously i was sad when it was time to throw them away and i didn't have any extras. they totally did what they were supposed to and i wasn't uncomfortable at all in them
2) when i was admitted, i was put into a L&D triage bed, so i didn't have to wait in a chair
3) they didn't have to draw blood from me again when I had my DS

also totally agree with the pp who said don't get induced unless medically necessary. that's where a lot of the horror stories come from i think. DH and I took all the classes they offered and found them very beneficial. We did a BFing, infant cpr, labor and delivery, DH did a daddy bootcamp, and i think one other...but maybe not.
April 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
hoping4more
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Your doctor gave you oxycontin?? Seriously? My doc wrote me a prescription for Percocet which I ended up not getting because I was nursing and didn't want that passing into my milk. I thought that was pretty strong at the time, but I can't imagine a doc prescribing oxy for a women who just delivered. That stuff is strong and so many people get addicted. Maybe I am that out of the loop!
theres more then one kind of that med. i cant remember which one it was. i remember you can take one every four hours... i think it was oxycodone... but not entirely sure. we were both fine. i only used it for probably three or four days at best. usually by day four im good to go without med. im 100 percent positive that my doc would never prescribe anything to me that he thought may be dangerous in any way to my health or the babies. and if im ever concerned he will stay with me and spend 30 mins or more explaining why its safe for me to use. i never asked him about this med. cause i know from experience that he knows his stuff. so i trust him completely... many of the people who get addicted are pill poppers... my ex was one. he started with vicoden then percs then moved on to oxy 80's it can be serious.. but if you take it as prescribed and not over a long period of time you should be just fine. my doc has been practicing for 20 years now, and is sought after to have as a doc. i did research on him online just cause hey hes my doc why not? and i never read one bad thing written about him. in fact i actually read one comment by a nurse who works with him in the hospital and wrote how she actually knows whos the best doc cause she works with them all, and can see first hand how they all act with their patients and so on... anyway she said she had to pick my doc. cause he simply was the best, not only that but that he treats every patient like their human, like their the only one he has time for, he shares stories about his life and family with all his patients and truely makes everyone feel comfortable and more. i remember my first appt. with him. i was so nervous i could have cried. it was my second ob appt. my first was horrible the doc. didnt care about wether i was nervous i was just a patient who needed to spread her legs so he could get his job done. well my doc. talked to me for 45 mins before doing the exam to make sure i was as comfortable with everything happening as i possible could be. im sorry for rambling on.. i hold my doctor in very high esteem he truly is the best. i couldnt say enough good things about him. i remember when i went through my miscarriage he didnt care if i called him 20 times a day, in fact he would call me to see how i was! ok ok im done. sorry.
April 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
hoping4more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.crystal View Post
oh boy... labor sounds tough to say the least, but i'm glad you ladies are sharing, since this is my first. My doctor also told me that since i'm small I may have to have a c-section, but i'm hoping for a vaginal. I think i'm capable of pushing out a baby. If not, c-section it is.
i have a friend who is lucky to be 5' 4'' and wears a size 0 she pushed out four kids. you never know. good luck.
April 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your weight and height have NOTHING to do with having to have a c/section. It's your pelvis size!
And yes, my Dr's were absolutey right to suggest a c/section for me. My first was 9lbs 12ozs and 21.5 inches long. She was literally STUCK under my ribs and even with a c/section they had to use forceps to get her out, because she was STUCK. NO WAY she was coming through my vag.
And with my 2nd, I opted for the repeat c/section. My Dr said I could try a v-bac if I wanted. I didn't.. I wanted her out in the healthiest way possible and the possibility of breaking her collar bone because she was large, was not an option I was willing to do.
After my c/section my Dr said it was a good thing I went with my instincts, because her cord was around her neck several times.

One thing I learned... Don't set yourself up for disapointment. Have a general idea of what to expect but if something has to change, it's OK!! Your baby being healthy and you being healthy is what's important.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search