BTDT mommies..... diaper advice

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i want to start buying diapers now, so i will have a stock pile come October. but i have no idea what brand to buy! and i dont want to get 20 different brands just to realize some SUCK and be that mom standing in the return line with 50 diaper exchanges LOL

April 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Veteran
I only bought Huggies and Pampers, and each was better at different stages. I think we did Pampers at first.

This time, though, I'm really going to make an effort to get only the more earth-friendly brands, like 7th Gen and Earth's Best, without chlorine and more degradeable. I'm just remembering how many go in the garbage, and I've got to try, even if I can't do the cloth route. So I'm really hoping they work!
April 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
I honestly don't remember what brand I used. I think it was the swaddlers at first. I used name brand everything at first. Then I switched over to the Target or Walmart brands. I think it all is just trial and error and whatever works best for you and your baby. I never had a problem with leaks with the store brands. I know some women swear by Pampers or Huggies.
April 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I swear by Huggies. I love them, always have! Use them with my first and 2nd and will use them with my third.
I have found out that every butt is different though. Working in a daycare I found out that Huggies leak for some and Pampers are better. Where some Pampers leak and huggies are better.
Huggies are generally a bit bigger in size than Pampers though.
Luvs, I HATE!! They always leak for me!! I've used the target brand, they were ok, didnt' leak but I still prefer my Huggies.

As for wipes, NOTHING beats a huggies wipe. So soft and strong, no fingers going through while wiping poop. Pampers wipes are always too wet.

April 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Snowpeas
We cloth diapered but used disposables for the first three months. I really liked Pampers swaddlers, they were very soft.

But I didn't find anything that held in blow outs like cloth diapers did.
April 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm cloth diapering this time around, but with my son I remember exclusively using Luvs. I tried the different name brands, but ended up sticking with Luvs and occasionally Huggies. I remember Pampers never worked for my son...leaked all over the place! It's funny that it seems the different brands work for different babies. Really it's trial and error I guess.
April 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Im a cloth diapering momma now.

But I only started when Bella was 6 months old.

When we were using sposies, we used the pampers swaddlers.

Be careful when you are stocking up on them. Depending where you get them unless you have the receipt for them you may not be able to return or exchange them for a bigger size should you need a bigger side. We had that happen with us.

Im a cloth diapering momma now.

But I only started when Bella was 6 months old.

When we were using sposies, we used the pampers swaddlers.

Be careful when you are stocking up on them. Depending where you get them unless you have the receipt for them you may not be able to return or exchange them for a bigger size should you need a bigger side. We had that happen with us.

April 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't like ANY of the store brands to be honest. they were all loud and crinkled. Went to the cheapest brand above that which is Luvs, which worked AWESOME at first... until Holden got super chunky. Luvs do NOT FIT chunky babies.

Since then we've used Pampers (baby dry and cruisers, both are honestly the same to me) and I love them the most. No leaking, no blowouts!

eta: I absolutely hate huggies, and huggies wipes- they leave residue behind.. kinda like crappy toilet paper leaves residue on your butt.

I've heard costco brand wipes are the best things on earth.. we use pampers unscented because Holden has sensitive skin, I think pampers swipers are the best

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

April 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Walmart will take them back without a receipt and let you exchange for the correct size.

April 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Costco is where we buy our Huggies diapers.. I believe for size 1's you can get close to 300 + for $35.. That's a real good price for diapers..

I use to be a pamper snob, but pampers always had a funny smell to it.. We did use Pampers swaddlers at first, but it still had that order and we had a few blowouts.. Since we switch to regular huggies, we have never had blowouts and there's no smell.. With this baby we plan on just using Huggies..

If you want the best wipes.. Get Costco brand wipes.. They are the best out there.. Trust me on this.. Once you try Costco brand, you won't like the other brands..

Here's a video on the wipes.. It's a review video..

Kirkland Signature Premium Baby Wipes with Vitamin E 96 Count User Review 167683 on Yahoo! Video

April 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Costco is where we buy our Huggies diapers.. I believe for size 1's you can get close to 300 + for $35.. That's a real good price for diapers..

I use to be a pamper snob, but pampers always had a funny smell to it.. We did use Pampers swaddlers at first, but it still had that order and we had a few blowouts.. Since we switch to regular huggies, we have never had blowouts and there's no smell.. With this baby we plan on just using Huggies..

If you want the best wipes.. Get Costco brand wipes.. They are the best out there.. Trust me on this.. Once you try Costco brand, you won't like the other brands..

Here's a video on the wipes.. It's a review video..

Kirkland Signature Premium Baby Wipes with Vitamin E 96 Count User Review 167683 on Yahoo! Video

April 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Super Mommy
Diapers is not something you have to "stock up on"
Get a nice big box of one size until you're out of them.
Babies grow so fast you might not to get all that you buy
April 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Huggies because Pampers smell bad to me. I had some Target brand leftover from my baby shower games so I used them and they were good. I love Target wipes and wouldn't use anything else.

April 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierasmom View Post
I use Huggies because Pampers smell bad to me. I had some Target brand leftover from my baby shower games so I used them and they were good. I love Target wipes and wouldn't use anything else.
I'm just the opposite. I LOVE Pampers because of the way they smell. We used pampers only until she was out of swaddlers because they smelled nice and were super soft. Then we switched to Huggies. A little cheaper and they worked for us once she was bigger.
April 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Pampers Swaddlers are great for newborns. They are really soft. I used those for a while and then moved to the Pampers Baby Dry. I prefer those or Luvs which are pretty much exactly the same.

I didn't care for Target or Walmart's brand. Babies R Us has a store brand that was ok but only because I got them super cheap.

I hate Huggies (other than the Overnights). They leaked worse than any other diaper we ever tried.

All babies are different though. Some brands work great for some but not for others. Pick up a variety and see what your prefer. As long as you don't open the pack Walmart will exchange them.

I prefer Huggies wipes too. Pampers are too wet and thin.

April 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Pampers swaddlers 1st, then when out of those sizes Walmart brand or stop and shop brand

I ONLY use huggies wipes though I hate huggies diapers.

Never use cheapie wipes, they suck.

Pampers swaddlers 1st, then when out of those sizes Walmart brand or stop and shop brand

I ONLY use huggies wipes though I hate huggies diapers.

Never use cheapie wipes, they suck.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used the swaddlers up to I think size 2-3 is where they stop.

I did try Huggies but I noticed that they didn't fit Breana well, tight in the thighs and left marks.

So I used Pamper Cruisers now.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran
A note about wipes-
I was just checking out safemama.com's reviews of the best/worst out there, based on the ingredients and chemical content, and they found the top 3 worst to be:
Target brand
Canus Lil goats milk moisturizing
Publix premium brand

This was just their finding, mind you, and they are quick to point out that many chemical ingredients just haven't been studies enough to be proven unsafe, but they think (as I do) that if there is a safer alternative, and especially considring how much exposure they will get to wipes over 3-4 years, I'd want to go that route.

Their top choices? 7th Gen brand, Tushies and 365 (Whole Foods brand)
April 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Carly's Mama's Avatar formerly JackieGerhardt!
Send a message via AIM to Carly's Mama
We tried them ALL and ended up loving Pamper's Swaddlers. Everyone told me "don't get many NB sized because they aren't in them long" - well, my daughter was in NB sized for 3 months, LOL! I would get a package of NB and stock up on size 1 - at least you can fold them down to fit with the size 1! We cloth diapered Carly from about 9 months old until recently when she potty trained and I got very sick of cloth diapering - she wears Pampers baby dry at night and pull ups during the day right now. I considered cloth with this baby but since we don't have a washer and dryer, we are going to stick to disposibles.
Alexander Richard, born 10/21/09 via emergency c/s
8lbs, 7 3/4 oz
20.5"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search