bottles?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Peytonsmomma
so i am starting my registry and went to look at bottles! oh my gosh!! I can't believe how many kinds are out there, i will be breastfeeding but also want to do bottle feeding
what are the best brands that mimic breastfeeding? I have heard Avent but when i read the reviews everyone says that they leak.....
April 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Super Mommy
As long as its BPA free its good.
April 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshum07 View Post
i wouldnt go with the playtex with the screw on bottoms those leak terribly. i havnt had any problems with the avent. the dr. browns bottles are good for babies with colic.
Those are playtex ventair and I agree, they are HORRIBLE!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Playtex drop-ins. They are wonderful for removing air and preventing a gassy baby, so easy to use, so easy to clean and they are BPA free!

April 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I use Avent BPA free. As long as you shut them right they don't leak.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
April 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Gerber NUK are good for breastfed babies (the nipple is shaped more to mimic the breast nipple). Most of the Playtex bottles and such aren't designed for easy transition between breast and bottle. I used the Gerber NUK with my son and loved them. They are also all BPA free now.

April 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hated Avent, they leaked all over me..

we switched to Playtex Ventaire, which we didn't have a single problem with other than the fact that they contained BPA, so we moved to Dr Brown's Glass (couldn't find the BPA free plastic ones anywhere) and while they're heavy- they are the BEST BOTTLES EVER.

Holden had reflux.. if your kid doesn't have reflux, any BPA free bottle should be just fine. For reflux babies, Dr Browns are (IMO) the absolute best.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

April 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
We liked Playtex Drop ins.. Easy to use and easy to clean..

We also used Avent, never had a problem but a little harder to clean compared to the Playtex drop ins..

April 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Snowpeas
It can really depend on the baby. Olivia would never take a bottle, no matter what kind we tried.
April 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hard time finding a bottle that Breana would take. She liked the Palytex drop ins and the nuk.

I also noticed that there are glass bottles out there now. I might get some of those for this one.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
BentleysMommy's Avatar Member
We used the Playtex with liners and never had a leaking problem - I don't know...we enjoyed them and will use them again...

What is BPA??
April 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
after BFing my son I tried Playtex drop ins..convenient, yes, but I hated them, my son had gas problems and everytime I went to squeeze the air out, the stupid liner would burst open spilling formula/breastmilk EVERYWHERE. Ughhh. Aggravating. Finally switched to Dr. Browns, while I hated cleaning them cause they have so many pieces, they worked REALLY well for us.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 2/1/15!

April 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Veteran
I used Dr. Browns after I quit BF both the boys, but refused to give them a bottle while I was actively BF. They absolutely hated it. I felt bad having to transfer them to bottles because I had to work more often.
April 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Peytonsmomma
i have heard great things about the playtex drop ins, i grew up with the drop ins in the bottles, when done with feeding do you just throw away the liner and put a new one in? i know stupid question but i'm having a "blonde" moment
what is BPA?
thanks ladies for all the responces! i have listed a few and will be putting them on my registry
April 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran
This is from ehow:

First of all, what in the world is BPA?

BPA is short for Bisphenol-a, a chemical that is actually an artificial estrogen. It is used to create the plastic called polycarbonate. Most major U.S. baby bottle manufacturers use BPA in their production, as well as many food storage containers and toys.

Researchers have shown that even low levels of estrogen-mimicking BPA are harmful to animals and people, especially babies and young children. Many environmental scientists believe that Bisphenol-a may cause adverse health effects, such as cancer, diabetes, obesity and early puberty.
Step2
It all seems overwhelming as you stare at the myriad of bottles out there, doesn't it? Take a deep breath and relax. There are many wonderful resources available to help you find the perfect BPA free bottles.

Start by reviewing the following guides:

1) Smart Plastics Guide at http://www.healthobservatory.org/lib...fm?refid=77083

2) How to Find Safer Baby Bottle Alternatives at How to Find Safer Baby Bottles

3) Safemama's BPA Free Bottle and Sippy Cup Cheat Sheet at SafeMama | The Original One-stop child safety, product recall, health, well-being, eco-conscious resource for parents
Step3
Now that you have an idea what your options are, let's narrow down the list of bottles a little further. Jot down your specific needs:

1) Does your baby prefer a regular neck or wide neck bottle?

2) Does your baby need a vented bottle to help reduce gas and spit up?

3) Are you concerned about the cost and need more affordable BPA free bottles?
Step4
READY, SET, GO get those non-toxic bottles and start giving your baby an early health advantage today!

Tips of my own...you also want to AVOID polycarbonate plastic and phtalates (BAD BAD! Make sure you're getting these out of your makeup and hair care products now, too - they go right through to baby)

To LOOK FOR: Glass, plastics like #1,2,4 and 5 (polyethylene and polypropylene)

AND, for mama, since it's EarthDay and all, check out the stainless steel Klean Kanteen to avoid all those plastic water bottles. The smaller version even comes with a sippy cup top (made by Avent) Tres chic!
April 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
i use the plain ol cheap gerber bottles, 3 for 2.99!!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Carly's Mama's Avatar formerly JackieGerhardt!
Send a message via AIM to Carly's Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Those are playtex ventair and I agree, they are HORRIBLE!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Playtex drop-ins. They are wonderful for removing air and preventing a gassy baby, so easy to use, so easy to clean and they are BPA free!
I totally agree! We started with the VentAir (I didn't BF) and they are AWFUL! My daughter ended up with HORRIBLE colic, so we switched to Dr. Browns - they were crappy too! They are a total pain to clean, and they didn't help with the colic AT ALL.

Drop-Ins were the BEST bottles we used! I plan to breastfeed this time around but will be buying some of the new Drop-Ins too! Best thing is, they sell BM storage containers specifically for Drop-Ins (and a playtex breast pump too!)
Alexander Richard, born 10/21/09 via emergency c/s
8lbs, 7 3/4 oz
20.5"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search