Inspired by Benni...my pet story

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The post about Benni getting surgery put a smile on my face because I love my pets just as much and would have done the same thing. Here's my pet surgery story.

About 5 years ago I came home from a weekend away and found my cat with a swollen paw, lethargic and I could feel he was burning up. I immediately got really worried and phoned his vet. It was 4:30 and the vet was just closing but he said he would keep the place open if I got Jacob (cat) there right away. I didnt have my license at the time and couldnt find anyone home who could drive us there. I had also just moved so I'm running around the house frantically looking for his cat carrier. I cant find the carrier or a ride so I put him in a cardboard box and lace up my rollerblades. I pick the box up to head out and he falls through the bottom of it, great I know feel like the worst pet owner in the world. Tape up the box get him back in and start rollerblading the 10 mins to the vet. A few blocks away one of the neighborhood dogs starts after me. He always chases me when I rollerblade and I figure he thinks he must have hit payday. Not only is there a rollerblading girl, but a rollerblading girl carrying a cat!

I get Jacob to the vet who promptly tells me his paw is badly infected and he needs surgery right away. He also implies I'm a bad pet owner for not bringing him in sooner and tells me to get Jacob to the surgery center across town. At this point I'm in tears and show him my roller blades. He agrees to drive him there himself and tells me I can come pick him up the next morning after surgery.

The surgery goes well and the next morning I bring home my dopey cat. Well apparently the surgery (or maybe the rollerblading trip with dog) "stressed" him out. He begins to calm himself down by obsessively licking himself bald. After the first few patches of hair went missing I phoned the vet he explained its a comforting thing in animals and sometimes they get stuck in a pattern of doing it too much. It started out in matching circles. One on this side, one on that side and continued until he had removed most of the hair he could reach. He licked so much his lips and tongue swelled up. So he was gimpy from the surgery, bald, had these big kissy lips and his tongue wouldnt fit back in his mouth. He was the ugliest thing ever...and I say that with all the love in the world.

Anyways it doesnt stop and so the vet suggests I put him on kitty prozac for $80/month, then a special diet of duck/potato and blueberries, then bathe him in oatmeal (still have the scars from this experiment). This is while I was a starving student! I of course follow the recommendations but it doesnt help. Finally after a year I move again and as soon as we get in to the new house he stops. His hair has grown back. His paw is all better. But his lips have remained quite large, he built up callouses in them so anytime someone new meets him they laugh at his big pouty lips.

So thats my ridiculous pet story!
April 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
lol, I don't know anyone who wouldn't have done the same!

i was home from college for mother's day weekend when my roommate called to say that something was wrong with Peanut, my dwarf hamster and he may be dying. So I immediately left and drove the 2 hours back to college to find poor little Peanut on his side panting and unable to move. I called every vet in the phonebook looking for a place that was not only open on a sunday (a holiday too) and takes hamsters- no easy feat. Of course I am crying hysterically through all of this. I find one, drive almost an hour there to have the vet ask me if I'd like Peanut put down! I was like "what kind of a vet are you?" lol, so $250 later I got the diagnosis of pnuemonia (sp?) and some antibiotics that I have to give by dropper- to a dwarf hamster which is soooo hard. peanut died three days later anyway. sigh

its my mother's favorite mother's day story- the year I left her for the hamster!

so I completely get the rollerblading to the vet story!!!
April 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Snowpeas
Awww, a sweet story of a dedicated pet owner. Glad he's doing much better now.

I have to admit the image of you roller blading, holding your cat in a box, and being chased by a dog was pretty funny. Glad the dog did you no harm.
April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry but that made me LOL. A cat in a box, a rollerblading girl being chased by a crazy dog. Sounds like a sitcom.
I'm glad your kitty is ok!!
I don't have any "rescue" stories like that but I did have one hell of a trip one time. From NC to Ohio, A Cat without a carrier, an aquarium with fish, a puppy and a toddler, all in a van. Fun time! lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search