Okay mom, I'm not a child anymore!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Snowpeas
I am visiting my parents currently. I see them about twice a year and haven't lived near them in many years.

Does anyone else feel like their parents treat them like a minor child again when you're with them for awhile or is it just me?

We've been here for a week and a half and there's definitely a pattern. My parents (my mom especially) are treating me like they used to when I lived at home, eons again.

The only thing is I am now a 30 year old married woman with a child. But she is always telling me what I should do (open the window blinds so you get light in, wear a jacket, clean your plate if you want desert, etc)

She tells me how I should be taking care of my child, even though I am perfectly capable of taking care of her (my mom speaks up so fast, I don't have a chance to take care of her without my mom piping up first so then it seems like I'm just following her orders, ugh).

She even tells me what turns to take when I drive, even though I've driven these roads thousands of times and still remember where to go! And she will repeat a turn 4-5 times as if I will forget in the few seconds between reminders. lol

But the biggest complaint is she constantly checks up on me when I'm on the internet. She used to do this when I was a child (perfectly understandable) but now it's just annoying! She will make up the flimsiest excuses to come into the study and glance at the computer screen - sometimes as often as every five minutes.
I wouldn't mind as much but JM is my private sanctuary and I do NOT want my family to know how to access it because I don't want them stalking my posts. So I'm constantly having to quickly change screens - I feel like a rebellious child.

Oh well, really minor complaints and I love my parents to death but it makes me feel so weird - like a kid again. I have to keep reminding myself that I am a married mother of almost two because I keep feeling like the years have been erased and I'm still living at home.

Last edited by Snowpeas; April 23rd, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
April 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That would drive me freaking nuts and I'd flat out tell her that. Remind her that you're a grown woman and while you appreciate how much she cares about you you don't appreciate being treated like a child.

Luckily, my parents aren't like that. They can be once in a while and they worry about my brother and I. My brother has is worse though because he still lives at home. They ask him where he's going and they don't like if he's driving out in the rain. He's 26 years old!

April 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
Parents always do that!
I feel like I have actually become my mother though, it must be the motherly instinct... I can still see it in my dad's eyes (he's a highly anxious person who refuses meds) that everytime he sees me he's worried about something in my life.
My son is my world and i worried about him from when he was in the womb. lol sounds weird.

Sounds like my mother, a pryer, always wants to k now every detail. ha... make sure she knows how you feel
April 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Snowpeas
It's funny because it brings back all the old feelings of living at home as a young adult - I want to yell at her like I would then, "I'm not a child anymore!" lol but the adult in me tells me to keep my mouth shut.

I don't think she can help it - even though it's super annoying. I have a feeling I'll be the same one day when Olivia's that age. I, too, have worried about her - pretty much from the moment I found out I was pregnant with her. Guess it's built into us! I hope I'm not that annoying though!
April 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Snowpeas
Okay in the last 15 minutes she's been in her SIX times looking at my computer screen and my dad has been in here twice. All for lame excuses.

I think I'm going to sign off the computer for a little bit before this hormonal preggo says something she better not! lol
April 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A mom is ALWAYS a Mom. She's just doing what her instincts tell her to do. One day, that will be Olivia talking about you.
My Mom still tells me how to drive, to slow down, speed up, where to go. Etc, etc, etc.
She's pretty good about my kids though, she lets me be Mom. But since you don't see your Mom as often, that's probably why. She's just taking the opportunity to be Grandma AND Mom. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search