Thrifty Thursday

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you do to save money??

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Snowpeas
Turn lights off when we leave the room, have our house well insulated to save on utilities.

We stock up on grocery items and other items when they're on sale and plan our meals based on the weekly sales at the supermarket.

I buy Olivia's clothes for the next year at the end of the season and I shop thrift stores and second hand stores.
April 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I'm not very good at that.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
April 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
CriscoNinja
I'm not too good at this, but I don't buy new clothes for the kids, it's hand me downs, and once upon a child thrift stores.

We also don't eat out much, and rarely "go out". We play a lot of games at home and such.
April 24th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I clip coupons and shop sales. I love craigslist for electronics and household items and we have a percentage of DH's salary sent directly to our savings acct so we're not tempted
April 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Saving is no different than a bill for us. Every month we put a set amount into our IRA's and general/emergency savings account, as well as several other savings accounts (a Christmas fund so we don't get hit up at Christmas all in Dec, an insurance savings account for our house and car insurance, a big ticket items savings account to save for things like large appliances, a new tv, computer, whatever, a baby fund of course, a vacation savings account, and our fun money accounts). Yeah, we're a little weird. lol. But ING lets you set up on savings account and then subdivide it, so it works out well.

I shop sales and buy as much at Aldi as I can for groceries. We limit luxury items at the grocery store to special occasions (a good steak, fancy cheese, etc.). We don't buy *stuff* for the sake of buying stuff... Only what we need. We rarely talk on the phone, so instead of a cell phone plan we bought our cell phones out of pocket and have a pay-as-you-go plan through U.S. Cellular and only spend $15 a month, that way we have phones for emergencies and quick calls to each other or family (the "where the heck are you?" type of calls).

And most importantly, if we don't have the money for it, we don't buy it!! It sucks watching everyone around us have really nice cars and huge TV's and go on fancy vacations several times per year (many of which make less money per year). But I know they're going into a lot of credit card debt and it'll bite them in the butt soon enough.
April 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Saving is no different than a bill for us. Every month we put a set amount into our IRA's and general/emergency savings account, as well as several other savings accounts (a Christmas fund so we don't get hit up at Christmas all in Dec, an insurance savings account for our house and car insurance, a big ticket items savings account to save for things like large appliances, a new tv, computer, whatever, a baby fund of course, a vacation savings account, and our fun money accounts). Yeah, we're a little weird. lol. But ING lets you set up on savings account and then subdivide it, so it works out well.

I shop sales and buy as much at Aldi as I can for groceries. We limit luxury items at the grocery store to special occasions (a good steak, fancy cheese, etc.). We don't buy *stuff* for the sake of buying stuff... Only what we need. We rarely talk on the phone, so instead of a cell phone plan we bought our cell phones out of pocket and have a pay-as-you-go plan through U.S. Cellular and only spend $15 a month, that way we have phones for emergencies and quick calls to each other or family (the "where the heck are you?" type of calls).

And most importantly, if we don't have the money for it, we don't buy it!! It sucks watching everyone around us have really nice cars and huge TV's and go on fancy vacations several times per year (many of which make less money per year). But I know they're going into a lot of credit card debt and it'll bite them in the butt soon enough.
Good for you guys! There needs to be more people out there like you! I agree it does suck watching people go out and buy Audi's and other expensive cars, but I just think of how much they owe and then I become very content with my little Honda. Sometimes my hubby and I sit around and play the 'How much do you think they owe' game..lol It seems everyone we know is always taking off work, going here and there, or buying huge plasma screen tvs, but in the long run we know we are better off because we're not sitting on a mountain of debt.

As far as what we do...hmmm...we don't really go out. We do go out to eat, but that is pretty much our only entertainment. We don't rent dvds or go to the movies much and I really try to watch the grocery bill. I look for sales and don't splurge on all name brand items. We don't have an Aldi's here (which I practically cry over everytime I buy food), so I have to try and do the best I can. Oh and we shop Goodwill a lot!
April 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
hoping4more
well. i checked out all our bills and made sure we wernt overspending in any area like electricity, or tv, or phone. we have the best deals we can get from that aspect.
try not to be wasteful of electricity, water, ect.
dont buy what i dont need
made a budget.... best thing ever. figure out what you have after bills as extra money. once i made a budget i was able to pay off our credit card debt in four months next month! yes next month we will have no debt except that of my student loan, and my car... which i can pay off in another four months from then!!!! yeah!!! cant wait.
this may seem odd, but as a christain, i have found that if im not stingy with my money, God always provides enough for our needs. so i make it a point to give back... that is right up there with have a budget for me.

well. i checked out all our bills and made sure we wernt overspending in any area like electricity, or tv, or phone. we have the best deals we can get from that aspect.
try not to be wasteful of electricity, water, ect.
dont buy what i dont need
made a budget.... best thing ever. figure out what you have after bills as extra money. once i made a budget i was able to pay off our credit card debt in four months next month! yes next month we will have no debt except that of my student loan, and my car... which i can pay off in another four months from then!!!! yeah!!! cant wait.
this may seem odd, but as a christain, i have found that if im not stingy with my money, God always provides enough for our needs. so i make it a point to give back... that is right up there with have a budget for me.
April 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have written a budget that we stick too. We only spend a certain amount a month on dates ($100)... the same goes for other luxuries. I buy all of our groceries for the month at once. We end up spending less that way. We are good about turing lights off when we are not in the room. We keep our heat at 65 in the winter and a/c at 75 in the summer. We save up for the big things we want even if it means waiting a while. We have wanted a new car for years but have been waiting and putting money away each month and this summer we will buy a Used Ford Edge outright. That way we save money on interest and do not take on another monthly expense.
April 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Peytonsmomma
i pay my tithes from each check
i love grocery outlet and will only go to walmart if i really need to, we text more than we talk. I don't run water when i am washing dishes just fill up the sink then rinse when done
lights are off during the day and only come on at night same with heat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search