O/T - Some insight please?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
megan72782's Avatar Veteran
I posted this on the skin disorders board as well, but it's not very active, so I thought I'd ask here too.

When my son was born, he was stuck with cradle cap for the first year. It finally went away, and then at about 18 months, one morning he had these red marks on his hand. There were 2 on the back of his hand, and one in the palm. They looked like blisters. I took him to the doctor, and he didn't know what it was, so he ended up brining 2 other doctors in, and we got a diagnosis of "cold sores" On his HAND.

They went away on their own.

The at about age 2 1/2, he started getting red marks on his arms. They were dry and flaky, and usually more than one would show up at a time. I again took him to the doctor (a different one this time) and he basicly just glanced at it and said, "yeah, it's probably excema. Keep some lotion on it and don't bathe him everyday."

The marks would come and go, but he never complained about them itching or hurting, so we just went along with the excema thing.

Well, about 6 months ago, he got a red mark on his face. It looked like a zit at first, and then it got to be about the size of a nickel, faded/flaked, and went away. Now he's got another on his upper arm, and when I showed my dad, he instantly said "ringworm"

So here is a picture of what the mark looks like. It first showed up 2 days ago, and has already started to fade, but it is still very much visible. So for you mothers with experience with excema, is this what it looks like? Or is this ringworm?

April 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Adriana has eczema and it does not look like that.. My guess is that it might be ring worm or I could be wrong and maybe it's a different kind of eczema.. But Adriana's does not look like that. Maybe you can take him to see a dermatologists..

Here's a chart where eczema usually occures.. Adriana has it on her elbows, knee's, and neck. It's easy to control with lots of Cetaphil and Baby Aguaphor.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 26th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
April 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That looks like ringworm, but, remember, I'm and M.O.M., not an M.D. And I don't know if the other episodes that you have described are related to one another. Here's what I can tell you from my experience with the boys:
When my DS was one, he had hand and foot disease, and it looked like cold sores in his mouth. The doctor said that we shouldn't be alarmed if they showed up on his palms and the bottom of the feet. The doctor also said that the first outbreak of cold sores can resemble hand and foot disease. And, that only time would tell. We later found out that a neighbor's child hand hand and foot and my DS has never had a cold sore since.
The picture that you are showing looks very much like the cases of ringworm I've seen (I used to work as the HR Director and Marketing Director for a child care company) There are anti-fungal meds that they can use to quickly treat it.

There...like I said, definitely not a medical opinion, just my experience. I hope you find out what it is soon. KUP. I'd like to know the diagnosis

April 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
double post

Last edited by klt; April 26th, 2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: double post
April 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have suffered from eczema my entire life and I have had MANY patches that look like that. I get them all over...even underneath my breasts which is a really weird spot. Most of the patches I have had that look like that have been on my legs, arms, butt and under the breasts. The eczema I get on my hands are blisters and scaley patches.

I would of course get it checked out, but just wanted to let you know that eczema can appear and look similar to ringworm. Good luck and keep us posted! I personally have never found any sort of treatment to control my eczema except corizone shots, BUT when I have gotten those when the eczema comes back it is 10 times worse than the last episode. So, basically I try to control it with diet and I have done a lot of candida cleanses. Yeast is a problem in both male and female. In all of my research I have found that eczema is usually a sign of something else going on in the body. The body has an issue and it presents that problem with eczema. I encourage you to do a lot of online reading and check out some natural health things to learn more about it.

Oh wanted to add that sometimes when I have patches like in the above picture they can itch and sometimes not. Usually if it itches just the outside red ring will itch, but usually my blister type eczema is the one that drives me crazy.
April 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you all for your responces. I will be taking him to the doctor the next time he gets a patch, as I'm sure this one will be completely gone by tomorrow since it's already fading so fast. Is there some sort of test that they can do to be sure what it is? Or is looking at it all they can do?

April 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Snowpeas
Let us know what you find out!

That does look a lot like ringworm but sounds like it can be eczema too. How confusing!
April 26th, 2009, 04:19 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Go to Google Images and type in ringworm. I did it and some of the first pics that came up looked exactly like the picture you posted.

April 26th, 2009, 04:19 PM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
I'm not really sure but doesn't ring worm last for a bit and HAVE to be treated to go away? You said that it's fading quickly so that just got me to thinking. Hmmmm....

Best of luck and I hope it's just eczema!

April 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
From the bit of googling that I have done, I think that there is an over the counter ringworm lotion that should make it go away pretty fast, and if that doesn't work, then there is an antibiotic. But his always seem to go away pretty quickly (within a week) on their own.

I did look at the images on google, and it does look like ringworm to me. Excema seems to be solid red, and this started out like that, but it's faded to just a ring.

April 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eczema isn't always solid red..trust me. I have a couple of patches like your son has right now on my rear end! It usually takes about a week or a little longer for my circles to go away.
April 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Super Mommy
I do believe that ring worm does not disappear and reappear.
Looks like excema but next time he gets a patch ask the dr you go to about possible psoriosis. I believe excema itches sometimes uncontrollably!!!
April 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had ringworm and it looks like that, however, so does eczema. The description doesn't fit ringworm though. It doesn't go away without being treated, it actually gets worse. It spreads until you treat it and it's caused from humidity. I'd say that's eczema. Eczema comes and goes and you just treat it as needed.

April 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
that almost look like ringworm.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search