Found the cloth diapers I'm going to buy!!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
CriscoNinja
I think I've finally made a decision!

bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies

And, as I was talking to my DF i was like "should we get girl colors or neutral colors?" and he was like "neutral, in case we have another baby!"

I do want one more after this, but I wasn't sure he would! YAY!
June 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Snowpeas
Yay! I have those and I really like them.

Not sure when you're planning to start cloth diapering but even though they say 8 pounds it can take awhile for them to fit well for your little one. I used disposables for the first couple months (they were shower gifts) and by the time those were gone the BG's fit perfectly (and still do)
June 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
CriscoNinja
Yay, I'm glad you like em! I do have a pack of newborn disposables and a friend is giving me 2 packs of size 1's so hopefully i won't have to buy too many disposables before the BG's fit! I'm so excited!!
June 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I also purchased the one size but I went with the blueberry diapers they look like they will work great for you

June 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those are the same diapers I'm going with! I'm also getting a couple of random one-sized diapers in other brands too, mainly because they have a cute design or something.

I am also buying a pack of pre-folds and a few covers for the few weeks/month before the baby can fit into the OS diapers. I'd rather not use disposables that whole time, but I'm also not going to shell out the cash for the all-in-one diapers in XS and/or S.

I actually just had a $10 off coupon w/ free shipping for diapers.com that I used to buy 3 BG diapers! (you had to spend $49, which is why I got 3). The coupon was in the most recent Baby Talk magazine (if you don't already get it, you should - it's FREE). Anyway, they should be delivered today. I plan on ordering the 12 packs of them from Kelly's Closet since they're cheaper and you get free baby legs with them and I'm always getting e-mails with coupons for that place, but with the $10 off coupon I got a really good deal for a few from diapers.com.
June 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use those and LOVE them. You won't regret it!!! We started just getting neutrals, but I had to get a couple in Twilight (and good thing I did for baby brother ). Also they came out with the nice new orange and dark green that could go for either sex.

June 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
CriscoNinja
Sweet! I just checked out Kelly's Closet and I'm going to order them from there... but here's the question, do I get 18 diapers ?? or 24 diapers??

the 18 pack comes with a fancy sprayer... lol
June 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You need at least 18. If you can afford the 24 now, go ahead and go for it! But I always tell people 18 is a good minimum for f/t diapering. If the sprayer comes free with the 18 and there is no special deal with the 24, I'd get the 18, and then maybe get a 6-pack later at one of the sites that offers free shipping and a 5% discount. (Diaperpin.com lists some of these deals.)

June 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM
CriscoNinja
Hehe! I talked to DF, and he's all like "Why don't you get the 18 pack w/the sprayer and the 12 pack/w the free leggings?"...

woo hoo! Guess I'm getting 30 diapers!!
June 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha that's so fun! I love those cloth diapers! If I was gonna go with an AIO that's what it would have been..... I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for diapers, since our new place has no washer and dryer .

June 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats awesome that you get such a big stash! Yay!
June 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
GLad you find something!

I would suggest not getting a ton of them at first in case they don't work well! Thats what we did... tried a little of each to find what worked.

In the end we cannot do anything with Velcro, and the microfiber inserts for the BG OY the stink! it would never go away and it was not good on bellas skin she would turn beet red!

June 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Snowpeas
Some babies can't tolerate the microfiber. I think they make them with fleece now too?

Anyway, we never had stink issues but it's definitely trial and error. What works for some babies doesn't work for others.

There is a pretty good resale value for cloth diapers too so if they don't work for you or you're done with them you can resell them and get some of your money back.
June 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
CriscoNinja
I think i'm going to wait to order some till I'm closer to my DD, Kelly's closet has a 30 day money back guarantee on those BG's...

And from the picture (and help the newbie out here) it looks like the microfiber inserts aren't directly touching baby's bum? Or am I reading the diagram wrong? Can it irritate the baby's bottom through that layer of diaper even? Man I have a lot to learn.
June 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Snowpeas
It doesn't touch the baby's bum. There's a layer of cloth (suede cloth) that is between the insert and the baby.

I've found even when the inserts are absolutely soaking wet the suede cloth is dry to the touch.

Some babies skin doesn't agree with suede cloth so they might react to it. I've never experience a problem with Olivia. In fact all her rashes went away when we switched to cloth.

Also the inserts work pretty great but I also have bought lots of different kinds of inserts in different fabrics. So you are definitely not just stuck with one type or fabric of inserts - there are lots out there to try.
June 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
CriscoNinja
Can other brands of inserts fit in there? It's just like a pocket right?
June 11th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Snowpeas
Yes, the vast majority of other inserts will fit
June 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
CriscoNinja
Yay! Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm so glad I'm giving this a shot...
June 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Snowpeas
No problem. Good luck - hope you like them!
June 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
**Teresa**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey DDB! You are a brave woman for taking on cloth diapering. I wish I had the guts to try it but my DH thinks I'm nuts. I hope it works out great for you. Maybe if I can convince to let me at least try for a while.

Ok so maybe I am slow but I really don't understand how those work. I mean I know how they work like a diaper but what's this about an insert and stuff like that. Last time I even thought about cloth diapers it was one rag with two safety pins and bloomers to go over them.

Thanks to auntieof3 for the wonderfull and beautifull siggy!!

Last edited by **Teresa**; June 11th, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search