Not A Girly Girl

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
I am over the moon happy that I am having a baby girl. Secretly that is what I hoped for all along. However there is one itsy bitsy problem... I am not a girly girl at all. I don't like pink or ruffles or any of the normal sweet baby girl stuff. (Not that I have anything against people who do like that, it's just not my thing) I don't plan on buying that kind of stuff for her. I have a few friends that have told me that they don't care how I feel and that they will be buying her all pink and bows! Now I am grateful for any gift that my child receives and I will not refuse to put her in those clothes but why would they do that if they know how I feel? Are they just trying to get under my skin? I feel like kicking them in the shins but I will refrain.

Any advice on how to handle my pink pushing friends?

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
June 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Snowpeas
I am not a girly girl either but I've loved dressing Olivia up in ruffles and bows so I'm no help. lol

I would just be upfront with them and ask them to respect your sense of style. If they insist on giving the stuff anyway, just drag it out when you know they're going to see her and leave it packed away the rest of the time.

I've gotten a few outfits given to me for my dd that were NOT my taste at all and was something I would NEVER buy or put her in. I was grateful for the gifts, just not my style. She would still wear them, just not very often and usually only when I knew she was going to be seeing the people. It made them very happy to see her in their outfit and I was able to dress her how I liked the rest of the time.
June 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post
I've gotten a few outfits given to me for my dd that were NOT my taste at all and was something I would NEVER buy or put her in.
I've gotten some horrible outfits too, my ex-SIL bought my daughter a britney spears type outfit that tied under her chest and came with little short shorts. That thing went straight out the door, no way am I putting that on a 6 month old!!

As for the girly girl stuff I'm not either, but I did put them on her if I knew the gift-giver would be seeing her..

Last edited by CriscoNinja; June 11th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
June 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
You know, I am not a girly girl, BUT once I had my baby girl in my life and my arms the pink and frills were so fun!

And there really isn't much other than pinks and such when it comes to tiny baby clothes.

I dunno how you would handle it... Other than saying not my style?

June 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, see.. I am WAY girly! I LOVE the pinks and the ruffles and the bows and the tights with ruffle butts! It's just so stinkin cute! Plus... I want people to know my girl is a GIRL! If god forbid, you dress your girl in blue... it automatically makes her a HIM!
If it were me, I'd buy you pink too... not to offend you but because to me... girls belong in pink. lol Maybe that's how your friends feel too?

June 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Oh man, see.. I am WAY girly! I LOVE the pinks and the ruffles and the bows and the tights with ruffle butts! It's just so stinkin cute! Plus... I want people to know my girl is a GIRL! If god forbid, you dress your girl in blue... it automatically makes her a HIM!
That reminds me of the time I had Olivia dressed in blue. It hard sparklies and butterflies on it and people kept telling me what a "handsome little boy" I had. Grrr.
Here's the pic of the outfit. I always dressed her more girly after that!
June 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
LOL she didn't look like a boy in that but uh ok. Those comments always pissed me off too.
And if god forbid I didn't know s/he I would have just said "aww how cute!" Most people are stupid, lol

How do you want to dress your baby girl?
June 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Peytonsmomma
maybe you could ask for gift receipts so you can take the clothes back

we are dressing her like this: Romeos and carhartts!! she will have some girly clothes but she is born into a hot rod car family and will have to know how to work on cars!!
June 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
*Hayley*
don't use the outfits you don't like. we got a ton of winnie the pooh stuff and i hated it all and just never used it/gave it away immediately and told people there was a tear and it had to be returned, or it never fit him. there a million excuses if you don't want to be honest lol.

also, i'm sure there will be at least one person who will call your daughter a boy no matter how she is dressed. Cohen, IMO, doesn't look like a girl at all and was NEVER dressed in gender neutral clothes, but people would still say "your daughter has such beautiful eyes" or "how old is your daughter"...it's inevitable.

Last edited by *Hayley*; June 11th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
June 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
I don't think I'll mind if someone refers to my daughter as a boy. I don't think I'll even correct them unless it's someone I know (and they should already know). I think my backlash against pink stems from my mother dressing me in ALL pink for as long as she could. As soon as I was old enough to pick out my own clothes I refused to get anything pink at all. This will probably mean that my kiddo will end up being the girliest girl ever and want to wear prom dresses to school, right?

When I was out shopping today I was checking out baby clothes, there was a ton of stuff in reds and browns and oranges for little girls. I can't wait to buy some stuff!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
June 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I agree with the gift receipts and I would take it all in stride and just appricate the gesture I know I have all gender neutral stuff so far

June 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Veteran
I have no idea how to get it across to them if they're not willing to listen to your request. But then again, I'm SO excited for all the pink and frilly stuff. I love it!

x2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search