Cloth Diapering Question

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
billie1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never used cloth diapers before and I have been dead set on using disposables because of the convenience. But, our household has been trying to be more conscience of the whole earth friendly, going green thing. So, I was looking at Kelly's Closet that someone mentioned in an earlier topic, and those are NOTHING like what I pictured when I thought of cloth diapering. Cloth diapering seems like something I could do so I am considering switching to cloth this time, but I have NO idea of what we will need to get started. Kelly's Closet has so many things on there, but what do I actually need to buy? And, there are inserts too...if I buy the all in one cloth diaper, will I also need to put an insert in the diaper too? I have no idea about this stuff, so if any of you cloth diaper moms could tell me what you use along with the accessories I should buy, so that I'll be ready for baby when he gets here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

June 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Snowpeas
Cloth diapering has come a LONG way from the old days!

There are a million different types and choices. I know some websites offer a sample pack that allows you to order a few of each type of diaper and send back the ones you don't like. I'll have to dig that up for you.

It depends on what kind you get. If you can an AIO (all in one diaper) it's just that It's just like a disposable in that it's all in one piece - you just wash it instead of throw it out.

I use the bumgenius one-size pocket diapers. They come with inserts and before using you just stuff the insert in the pocket. The insert is what absorbs all the moisture and keeps your little one's skin dry.

You should check out the cloth diapering board here on JM. There's a ton of info and helpful people there.

Here are a link to the cloth diapering 101 sticky. It probably makes way more sense than I do. lol
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...ing-101-a.html (♥ Cloth Diapering 101 ♥)

Feel free to ask anymore questions too. I love cloth diapering but NEVER thought I would. It was strictly a financial decision in the beginning.

Watch out - it's addicting though.
June 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Snowpeas
I find a link to a sample pack. It has different kinds of diapers from the most popular brands.

You might not want to order it until around your due date though so you can send back the ones that you don't care for. (I think it has a 21 day money back guarantee - but you might want to double check that)

Jillian's Drawers - Cloth Diaper Trial, Try Cloth Diapers for $10, Changing Diapers, Changing Minds Program
June 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
It really depends on what you are looking for and the child. What works for one may not work for another.

When we started out I wanted cheap! I wanted easy. I wanted AIOs.... but found those didn't work as well as I had hoped, it had its ups and downs. For us fitteds and covers work the best.

We LOVE our goodmamas.

welcome to goodmama

Comfy, cute, but need a cover and can be considered pricey to some. BUT they are one sized! So in the end I feel they cost less, and you can them them NIP off places like spots corner on hyena cart.

I have heard some that like BumGenius diapers, they have them in one size as well, BUT I heard for little babies they are SUPER bulky. I had a bad experience with the inserts so personally I would never use them.

If you can get a few of different styles and brands, that helps.

Im a huge goodmama fan so that would be my suggestion, AND she is coming out with newborns soon!

June 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE this website: Diaper Pin - Cloth Diapers, Tips, Reviews and More...
It has instructions, reviews, links to stores and discount codes!!

We LOVE CDing. My husband is always trying to convince people to switch. It is so easy and the beauty is you never run out! (Unless you don't keep up with the laundry, but you will!)

To answer your questions- if you get AIOs, you don't need an insert. But some AIOs are pocket AIOs that can hold and insert and I recommend stuffing them for naps or a long outing or trip.

I think you need 18-24 diapers if you're doing one-size. If not, 12-18 in each size, and a wetbag (small one for travel and large for home is best). That is really all you "need." Anything else is mostly just nice to have.

What I discovered I love most about CDs is their absorbancy. I can take Hugo out for a loooonnng outing and not change him at. all. and not worry about any leak. He can wear beautiful outfits and never have to get them messed up with a nasty diaper, UNLIKE disposables! I dread weekends out of town when we use disposables and have to pack extra clothes for that reason!

ETA: We use mostly the Bum Genius mentioned above and never had a problem; in fact for us they are the most leak-proof.

June 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I would say look around to see what you think you would use the most and now they have liners so you fling to poop in the toilet with the liner and don't have to scrub it out

June 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
billie1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for all the info ladies! You gals have answered a lot of my questions. I am really considering switching to CD, the more I read about it, the more interested I am to do it. I am going to look around some more and decide which ones we'll use, and I'll let you ladies know what we decide.

Thanks again for all the help!

And Nicole, I don't think I am one to be answering any questions about cd, but from what I understand about the costs, it's more expensive in the beginning, but once you get what you need to get started, then it's much cheaper in the long run. I hope I answered that correctly...anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

June 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrover0216 View Post
I am completely ignorant to cloth diapers as well. How do you wash these? Is it gross? Is it cheaper in the long run vs reg diapers?

Cloth definitely costs more upfront but then your costs are very low. Especially if you use one-size diapers - usually after your initial investment you don't need to spend anymore - or at least very little.

Washing is very easy once you get a routine down & find the right detergent that works for you. I never thought I would enjoy washing cloth diapers but for some reason I don't mind it at all. lol

Here's a link to the different ways people wash their cloth diapers:
How do YOU wash your diapers? - Justmommies Forums

Here is a savings calculator. It factors in the cost of energy usage and detergent too.
Diaper Pin - Cloth Diaper Savings Calculator

Last edited by Snowpeas; June 11th, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
June 12th, 2009, 04:18 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty View Post
I would say look around to see what you think you would use the most and now they have liners so you fling to poop in the toilet with the liner and don't have to scrub it out
Yes! I have never used the liners but I know they have them. I used cloth liners that I just cut up and made... but it started to be more pain to try to rinse them off than it was to just rinse the diaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrover0216 View Post
I am completely ignorant to cloth diapers as well. How do you wash these? Is it gross? Is it cheaper in the long run vs reg diapers?
You wash em in your washer like your clothes. You just change the wash for them a bit, I never wash them with my clothes cuz I do 2 different cycles with different things in them each time.

We have an HE washer, and at first I did the shake the big chunks of poo in the toilet and throw the diaper in the daiper pail, but some HE washers just don't get them clean enough without rinsing... the breastfed baby poo was pretty sticky! LOL

My routine for cleaning... wet diapers... nothing, just went a cloth wipe, take off the diaper wipe her and put it in the wet bag. Poo diapers... she obviously is solid, so usually I just dump it in the toilet, rinse the wipe and if there is any trace of anything on the inside of the diaper, rinse that, spray with bac out and shout and toss in the wet bag. Its pretty easy.

Then when I was every 3rd day or so, I toss em in the wash, put in the 7th generation detergent, wash on cold/cold with extra soak and rinse. Then when that was is done I super wash with warm/cold with just ecover in it. Hang them on the line to dry. OR in the dryer with low heat. Thats it.

Diaper laundry is actually FUN for me! I HATE laundry ask my DH... but washing diapers I don't mind!

It can be cheaper... If you get one sized diapers.... you could get by with say 24 diapers maybe 36 diapers the whole time. It just depends on how often you want to wash. I have well... WAY more than I need to, it became a hobby to collect them. Lets just say I could cloth diaper 10 babies at one time and still have extras! LOL

Is it gross. No! I actually find it much better than sposies even when I have to clean the poo. We had issues with blow out diapers. My little one would go through 3 to 4 outfits a day and we would have poo up to her ribs and outfits ruined! It was gross! NASTY gross cuz you would have to try to peal the clothes off her trying to not get it on her head or hair, or all over you, plus having to try to clean it... where do you put the baby to lay down when its all up the back?!?! Its gonna get everywhere. Even now if I were to put on a sposies she would have the same issue!

BUT our biggest reason is super sensitive skin and horrible rashes that would bleed in sposies! OUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie1978 View Post
Thanks so much for all the info ladies! You gals have answered a lot of my questions. I am really considering switching to CD, the more I read about it, the more interested I am to do it. I am going to look around some more and decide which ones we'll use, and I'll let you ladies know what we decide.

Thanks again for all the help!

And Nicole, I don't think I am one to be answering any questions about cd, but from what I understand about the costs, it's more expensive in the beginning, but once you get what you need to get started, then it's much cheaper in the long run. I hope I answered that correctly...anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey girl! If you want to try out a goodmama let me know! I could send ya one!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search