Breastfeeding and a fulltime job?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
So I've decided to breastfeed this go around. With my daughter I couldn't because of several complications with my milk not coming in, antibiotics and so on. The difference with this baby is that I work fulltime and will continue to work after he's born. I'm curious to know how well breastfeeding will coincide with me working or will it be nearly impossible? I know very little about breastfeeding so any advice would help!

June 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Snowpeas
I would definitely recommend stopping by the breastfeeding board Breastfeeding - JustMommies Message Boards and the pumping mommies board Pumping Mommies - JustMommies Message Boards There is a wealth of information there.

You CAN do it.

My #1 recommendation is a good double electric pump. Most states have laws that your employer has to provide you with time and a place to pump. A good pump will make it much easier.

That way you can pump at work and your baby can drink breastmilk from a bottle when you're away. Once your home baby can go back to bf'ing directly. Most babies adjust to this very well.

Some babies prefer the breast to a bottle and will just have enough bottled milk during the day to get by and when mommy gets home - watch out. They will nurse a lot. lol

It is definitely doable.
June 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Sara.

you will need a good pump and they are expensive but the cheaps don't work I found that out by the time I figured it out I spent more than what the good ones were.

Read the side of the box of the pump and it will tell you what it does for your needs.

Good Luck

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That's great that you are considering it. How long of a maternity leave will you be taking? That time should give you time to get your supply established and build up a supply of some frozen milk.

Buy yourself a good pump. They are expensive but in long run it's countless times cheaper than formula.

You can BF in the morning before you go to work and then pump if you can at work. BF again when you are home and in the middle of the night.

June 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
I'm not sure exactly how long I'll be able to take maternity leave, I know 3 weeks for sure. If SO doesn't have a job by then (which he better!) then 3 weeks will be all I can afford since I'm the only income and that's all I will be paid for. If he's working and we can save a little money before the baby comes then I'm shooting for the full 6 weeks. I definately plan on buying a good pump, it seems to be one of those things it's worth spending more money on for a better quality item.

So far from what I've read and heard about BFing it's pretty scary lol. Engorgement, cracked nipples and all the other "fun" stuff that comes along but I'm willing to deal with it. Is it really as bad as it sounds?

June 13th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Snowpeas
It can sound scary. And I'm not going to lie the first couple weeks are challenging and in my experience my nipples were very sore when she latched on for the first two weeks. I honestly had to grit my teeth and get through it. But after two weeks it gets SO much better and that's when I started to really enjoy it and realize what everyone was talking about. It became the most wonderful bonding time with my dd. She would snuggle up with my and bf and it was the most amazing feeling in the world

My advice is to be prepared for some soreness and discomfort in the beginning and hang in there. If you can make it through those first few weeks you are home free

Make sure to see a lactation consultant when you're in the hospital. Also they are available once you're discharged too. It's so important. They can teach all the techniques and a proper latch is the most important thing. An improper latch is what causes lots of problems. They also know all the tips and tricks that make life a lot easier for you and for baby.

And there's a ton of help here and on the bf'ing boards. I bf for 18 months and I never had cracked nipples, bleeding nipples, mastitis, or thrush. I had a clogged duct maybe once or twice that I was able to massage out in the shower and that was it.
June 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I had a hard time pumping when I was at work.. My milk supply dropped so much because I couldn't pump every 2-3 hours like I did when I was on maternity leave.. But at my job, I'm constantly busy and I don't sit down.. I think the stress of work and baby life took a toll on my milk supply.. Luckily, I had a 3 month supply of milk stashed in my deep freezer and Adriana was on BM for 6 months, then I switched to formula.. And I will tell you that Adriana's growth pattern did not change when I went to formula.. She still grew at the same slow rate..

June 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I obviously can't give you insights from personal experience but my best friend pumped while she worked full-time. She also bought an expensive electric pump (which I get to borrow- yay!) and made sure it had a car adapter. She works like crazy and couldn't take enough breaks to pump in private even though her employers would have let her. Instead she would pump during lunch and any other time she needed to she'd just take her pump and cell phone and work from her car. Her clients never knew she was pumping during conference calls, lol! there are ways to make it work- good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search