WIC - Updated with Links

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you that are on WIC or will be on WIC when your baby arrives, I was informed today that they will no longer be providing formula AT ALL the first month after birth.

They are also cutting back their supply of formula "significantly".

Just thought I would let everyone know.

Last edited by MrsSarah1; June 12th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
June 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Snowpeas
I didn't know that!

I know in August they are changing what you get. They're supposed to add veggies, fruits, bread, rice, and baby food but didn't know about the formula.
June 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Peytonsmomma
Good to know, i need to tell them next month at my apt that i am going to be doing formula also
also good to know about the veggies
June 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Thats odd. My sister is doing formula now and they didn't say anything to her about that. Is that just some states or all states? I know WIC here will be doing the fruits and veggies thing.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

June 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
Cutting back their supply of formula...I thought everyone gets it from the grocery store. I saw that they are just doing Similac now and not Enfamil and adding veggies.
June 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
Mine didn't say anything to me about it... just that in October they will be switching to low fat milk only... and told me about the fruits and veggies, and here they give you Good Start formula.

June 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
We get farmer's market coupons to get fresh fruits and veggies. I wonder if that's what everyone is talking about?

I was told that it's program wide and was decided recently, so they are just spreading the news now.

I really hope that people don't start diluting the formula to make it last longer... there will be so many sick babies out there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedangel121 View Post
Mine didn't say anything to me about it... just that in October they will be switching to low fat milk only... and told me about the fruits and veggies, and here they give you Good Start formula.
Is that lowfat milk for the adults and older children, or for the toddlers as well? I don't think it would be smart to switch everyone to low fat because doctor's recommend whole milk for young children.
June 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Snowpeas
I haven't heard about the milk being low-fat. Will have to ask at my next appt.

I get farmer's market coupons too but the fruits and veggies are something separate along with other things thanks to the new federal laws. The lady said the program has been the exact same foods, etc for at least 20 years and it's finally being updated to what's needed now.

I know they are drastically cutting down or eliminating juice which I am glad about. We had so much juice from WIC and they're supposed to only drink a little bit a day. I think we had a good year's supply for her. It was crazy.
June 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I was researching and here is the new food package:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicw...osed-DRAFT.pdf

Here is a flyer

http://www.calwic.org/docs/nfood/ChildrenA.pdf

I have yet to find anything about the formula though, I will keep looking!

I found it I found it I found it!!!

(I feel like i'm on a treasure hunt!!)

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/family/WI...on-4-30-09.pdf

It's a little slide show that details exactly what's happening. Very interesting!!!
June 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
interesting I don't use it but I am thinking of going on it financial wise we might need it this go around

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
MaddApple's Avatar Expecting a boy 10/21/09
Send a message via Yahoo to MaddApple
My WIC caseworker I saw today didn't say anything about it. If they do cut the formula I'm screwed. I can't breastfeed due to the Lithium I have to take when I'm not pregnant. Formula is very expensive and it's something we couldn't afford after paying rent, paying bills, diapers, diaper wipes and buying food. It's bad enough that we have to buy extra three big cans due to the fact they only give out 5 small cans a months or 10 of the 13 oz concentrated cans. This will be the reason some moms will have to get food stamps or welfare to not be in the position in weather to feed their newborn watered down milk*, have their older children live on mac and cheese or canned beans that month or not pay the bills.

*My babies never had watered down milk. I know women who do this because they cannot afford formula or sell their babies formula for money.

June 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
About the milk- I think she said something about Jeffrey will have whole milk til he's 2. So I think it would be til your child is 2 then they will switch to low fat and women will get low fat as well.

June 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
Hmmm...I like that they are changing the amount of formula depending upon age. I know WIC is suppose to be a supplement but DS was going through his cans of concentrate by mid month. So we still had to buy alot. I'm not sure if I can go on WIC now. According to the eligibilty chart I make too much money..by like $1500 (try living the in DC area off of the max. income...not going to happen). BUT I think you are automatically eligible if your child is on Medical Assistance. For some reason I qualify for that.

How do they compute household size. It's just me and DS...do they count the baby I'm carrying too??
June 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I believe they do count baby too...

June 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I've never used the program but lots of my friends have. I think it's great that they are adding veggies to the things you can get! I also like that they won't be giving as much juice. Kids don't need that much juice. I'd rather the money go to things they really need.

I'm actually glad they would cut back on formula and not give it for the first month. My friend is the breast feeding consultant for WIC in my area. She has to meet with every woman who applies to talk to them about BF. She said most of them won't even consider BF because they figure they can get formula for free and it's easier.

I know I'll probably get totally flamed for saying this but if you know you can't afford to feed your child (formula) you'd think more women would make attempt to use a free food source (breast feeding). I think formula should definitely be given to women who cannot BF (for medical or supply issue reasons) or when a baby needs it for whatever medical reason.

June 13th, 2009, 09:49 AM
October 2012 DDC co-host
We have never been on WIC so I can't help with the other things, but I did want to add that children up to 2 years old HAVE to have whole milk! I doubt they'd cut that back for the kids just because the pediatricians would have heart failure. The myalin sheaths in their brain (fat around the nerves) are forming at this point and this is what helps transmit nerve impulses from one nerve to another. This is something that is CRUCIAL to brain development, and the fat from milk is where children primarily get that fat to form those sheaths. That's why pediatricans recommend the whole milk for children under the age of 2. They will tell you to cut back on other things, but rarely will they tell you to cut back on the whole milk.

June 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
They count your unborn child as one, so add that to your household size.

After reading through everything, it looks like they are giving whole milk to young children, and 2%/1% to older children and women.

Also, it looks like the formula cut backs will be most on the moms that are partially breastfeeding. They are changing the way they give out formula though, depending on age. I completely agree with this, because at about 9 months DD would barely break into a case of formula. I have three cases in my garage right now that we never even touched. Older babies really start getting more and more nutrition from other sources so they cut back on bottles dramatically. I think this change is really good!

As far as the formula goes, I do wish that it wasn't so accessible to women, especially first time moms. It should be accessible, but I think that women should also be informed of the option to breastfeed. In July, I have a breastfeeding class through WIC that I did NOT have last time, so it does seem that they are becoming more pro-breastfeeding. It's just so much cheaper on everyone, and healthier.

The first few weeks of breastfeeding is tough. It's like boot camp. And giving a first time mom that is young (most likely), poor and scared 9 cans of formula the first month really makes the decision to quit breastfeeding so easy.

I don't think that moms on WIC should be pressured into breastfeeding, but I do think that the formula should be a last resort, and not just given away like how they do it now.
June 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Peytonsmomma
thanks for the links!
i found it very helpful, bummer that they are cutting the cheese limit back but i am happy they are adding fruits and veggies to the program and whole grains.
I go in on the 9th for my next apt, i will ask them about it then

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search