itchy rash :(

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a weird rash down both sides of my body, on my hips. I look like a flea ridden dog im itching so much with my hands down my pants in public. Has anyone had a rash? what the heck!

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

June 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That sounds like a PUPPP rash. It's a rash that pregnant women can get. You should let your Dr know. Here is some info

Quote:
Is it common to get itchy bumps on your abdomen?

Up to 1 percent of pregnant women develop a condition characterized by itchy, red bumps and larger patches of a hive-like rash on their bellies. This is called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) or polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.

PUPPP usually begins in the third trimester and is more common among women carrying twins and those having their first baby. The eruptions usually show up first on the abdomen around or in stretch marks (if you have any) and may spread to your thighs, buttocks, and arms. PUPPP is harmless for you and your baby, but it can itch like crazy!

Your doctor or midwife will want to see you for a diagnosis and will probably prescribe a topical ointment to give you some relief. She may also recommend an antihistamine. In severe cases, you may need a course of oral steroids.

PUPPP usually disappears within a few days after delivery, although it sometimes persists for several weeks. (In rare cases, it may even begin after you give birth.) Fortunately, it seldom appears again in subsequent pregnancies.

Even more rare than PUPPP is a skin condition called prurigo of pregnancy (or papular eruptions of pregnancy), which is characterized by many tiny bumps that may look like bug bites. These eruptions can occur anywhere on your body, but you're most likely to get them on your hands, feet, arms, and legs.

Although the eruptions can be itchy and annoying, prurigo of pregnancy appears to pose no risk to your baby. This condition generally starts around the beginning of the third trimester and may last for up to three months after you give birth.

In very rare cases, a pregnant woman will develop very itchy eruptions that start out like hives and then turn into large blistering lesions. This rash is called pemphigoid gestationis (or herpes gestationis, although it has nothing to do with herpes virus). The eruptions often start on the abdomen and spread to the arms and legs.

This condition is considered more serious than PUPPP because it may be associated with an increased risk for preterm delivery and fetal growth problems. It usually begins in the second or third trimester, but it can start anytime — even in the first week or two after you have your baby.

Pemphigoid gestationis can come and go throughout pregnancy, and it often flares up after delivery as well. It usually happens again in subsequent pregnancies and tends to be more severe.

Let your caregiver know if you develop any kind of rash during pregnancy. Whether or not the rash is related to your pregnancy, it's a good idea to have your caregiver evaluate it and recommend appropriate treatment or refer you to a dermatologist.
Itchy skin during pregnancy | BabyCenter

June 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I had a rash in my first 2 pregnancies, called a PUPP rash. It was HORRIBLE!!! Not sure if it's the same thing you have though, but if you google it, there will be pictures to compare.

June 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say PUPPP as well. it's pretty common- but you should have your ob take a look at your next appt!

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

June 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had it.

i would ask your doctor though.

I hope it goes away!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 15th, 2009, 06:29 AM
i looked at the pics and my rash looks the same as the PUPPS rash, i am calling my doc today cause ive had it for a few weeks and its just getting bigger. thank you for the advice!

June 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope the dr. can give you some answers and that you can find some relief.
June 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Snowpeas
I'm glad you're calling your doctor. KUP
June 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Peytonsmomma
I think that's what i had a (pupp rash) last week, i put anti-itch cream on it, and it seems to be helping , my apt. isn't until the 30th of this month, do you think i should call them to let them know?
June 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm glad you're calling your Dr especially if you've had it for a few weeks now.

June 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found that putting cold, wet cloths on my skin helped tame the itch a bit. I also was referred to a dermatologist by my OB, and he prescribed a cream for me that not only took away the itch almost immediately, but also made it go away completely after several days (Betaderm with 1% menthol).

June 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
my doctor told me to take benadryl and use 1% hydrocortisone cream, but it didnt help. i remember itching in my sleep last night and i woke up and it was obvious i had been itching lol. so ill call the doc back again and see what they say cause they said to call if i didnt get relief. I will be sure to let you know and also, i think ill ask about surradoulas medicine

June 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I hope they do something for you. Being all itchy sounds miserable.

June 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I started off with the hydrocortizone cream as well, and I found it took SOME of the itch away for a couple of hours. I think I was told to apply it only twice a day, and that wasn't NEARLY enough! Sorry you have the PUPP rash, it's so miserable.

June 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
*Hayley*
omg i had this with cohen and it was worse than delivery. mine popped up aroudn 37 weeks and then exploded after delivery. i ended up in the doc's office, urgent care, and the ER in one day because of it. you need steroid cream now before it spreads to your entire body like mine did. demand that he see you, it is not somehting you want your doc to just write off, trust me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search