"im better because im a working mother!!"

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: ARE YOU A SAHM, FUTURE SAHM, WAHM, FUTURE WAHM, OR GOING BACK TO WORK?
SAHM 20 47.62%
FUTURE SAHM 5 11.90%
WAHM 0 0%
FUTURE WAHM 1 2.38%
GOING BACK TO WORK 18 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs. Brown
I was a "lazy SAHM" when I first had my son only because I was in a state of depression......I now know that but didn't then. I went back to work for a while and loved my job but HATED leaving DS at home. So I decided to quit and go back to school and am loving staying home with my DS. I am able to keep my house picked up/clean, time for my DS, here for him when he needs me and am able to make sure DH has what he needs if he calls for something. My trick to not being lazy is getting up first thing in the morning and getting dressed. If I stay in my jammies all day I am and will be lazy. It is all because of how we think....jammies are sleepy time clothes are wake time. That is just what works for me.

June 18th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
I'm a working mommy. With what DF makes I could probably stay home BUT I like living a certain lifestyle. Also, if something were to happen to him what will we do? AND we're not married YET soooo I have to think about myself, my son, and now OUR son. For the first 3 years of DS's life he stayed with my parent's while I worked and went to school. They are both retired. When he turned 3 I put him in preschool for socialization...he needed to get away from the seniors...LOL! Currently I'm working full time and going to school fulltime and will be for another 4 years (law school). It's a sacrifice that I had to make now while he is young to be able to provide for him in the future. I always look at it as "will I by myself be able to take care of my children?" I don't look down on SAHM, I wish that I could stay at home...but my mind just won't let me. I've been a broke single mom before and I refuse to go back down the route.

Last edited by Candace0183; June 18th, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
June 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not from this PR but I am a SAHM. I am from Oct08PR....

June 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm a working mom.. One thing I've learned with this pregnancy is that it's vary tiring on your body being a working mom and pregnant. I've never been so warn out in my life.. Somedays I feel bad that I fall asleep before my daughter does.. I'm just so exhausted..

I personally have lots of respect for working moms that go to school.. It's a tough job and I don't know how they do it..

As for SAHM.. It's not for me.. I get bored.. lol I'm with my daughter when I'm off of work (3 days out of the week) and my life is so much easier and relaxing.. Just from my experience.. I love my job even though I've been over doing it lately..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 18th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
June 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrover0216 View Post
I stopped working when I had my son because I do not want a stranger raising my child. Let me tell you something I worked in a daycare and most of those parents whether they were working or no dropped those kids off from morning to night because they do not want to raise thier kids and could not handle them. It is my preference to stay at home with my children until they are school aged. I am going to a 4 yr college as well, but am taking all my classes online.
That's sad.. But one thing to remember is that some kids that stay at home don't get the proper stimulation or the mom just watches TV or on the computer all day.. It goes both ways.. I've vary blessed that my daughter gets to go to my mom child care center when she turns two years old.. She will get lots of sensory play, ect.. Stuff that I could never do at home.. One thing I can't wait for is for Adriana to learn more sign language.. She knows the easy signs, but once she goes to my mom's place she'll get fluent.. My mom also takes care of disabled kids and one of them can't hear. It's such a great learning environment.. I just think there's pros and cons to both sides..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 18th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
June 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
*Hayley*
well i must be lazy for the wrong reason because for me it's easier to manage a classroom than a household with two babies full time. Being a SAHM is NOT EASY work. The newborn stage, imo, was pretty easy, but once they become mobile, forget about it because you don't have time for anything.
June 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a SAHM. For me, personally, that's the only choice. I can't imagine having to leave my kids, but there is nothing easy about staying home with two babies/toddlers. My kids are only 15mo. apart and I have been home since dd's 1st bday. I think working and staying at home are equally difficult and both should be respected.
June 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Working mom here, wish I could do half and half
June 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightdreams86 View Post
i am thinking about putting matthew in some type of day care once or twice a week when he turns 2 because I want him to have the stimulation he can not receive at home. We can play all day but he needs to learn to be away from mommy and play with other children.
My cousin did something like this...I'm not sure what it called...maybe something like cooperative daycare??? She was a SAHM and she would take her son to daycare 2 or 3 times a week. There was a teacher but also the mothers/parents were expected to help out once or twice a week for either the whole day or a couple of hours. Most if not all of the mothers were SAHM. I think this was great because your my little cousin got to be around children his own age and there was always parents there so there was no funny business going on. AND you got to work with other kids and be around yours.
June 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
MrsSteele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MrsSteele Send a message via Yahoo to MrsSteele
I work every other week and we have our step son every other week...he never had to go to daycare, but when he turned 3 we did put him in a preschool for 3 hours a day, so he could play with other children and have a change of scenery...it was very good for him and he loved having his "best friends"! lol
June 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually have a friend who's said "I'm a better MOM b/c I'm a working mother".... I thought her perspective was interesting: if she was a SAHM, she would most likely not be playing with her child, helping her learn, etc. all day - she would be wrapped up cleaning, running errands, watching soaps, etc. She knew this about herself... so she thinks that the learning center her child goes to is actually better for her child than staying at home. On the flip side, when my friend has time away from work, she is so excited to see her child - and she spends more "quality" time playing with her, having family time, etc.

I will be a working mom (for many reasons), so it was interesting to hear that perspective...

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
June 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_D View Post
I actually have a friend who's said "I'm a better MOM b/c I'm a working mother".... I thought her perspective was interesting: if she was a SAHM, she would most likely not be playing with her child, helping her learn, etc. all day - she would be wrapped up cleaning, running errands, watching soaps, etc. She knew this about herself... so she thinks that the learning center her child goes to is actually better for her child than staying at home. On the flip side, when my friend has time away from work, she is so excited to see her child - and she spends more "quality" time playing with her, having family time, etc.

I will be a working mom (for many reasons), so it was interesting to hear that perspective...
That's exactly how I feel. When I get off of work I rush home to see my baby! We spend the entire night together and make sure we have a family day once a week. I love hearing him talk about his day and what he did. He understands that mommy has to work. Even though he thinks that I get paid everyday and when I get home I miraculously have money so that we can go to the store...LOL! I think that him going to preschool with help with his adjustment to Kindergarten. He use to be sooo attached to me now he's very independent and doesn't care if I'm around or not. Hurts my feelings at times but I know its for the best.
June 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be a part time working mom for a while. That girl at your work needs a reality check.
June 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm going back to work sometime between 6-8 weeks. I have to admit it's because I think being a SAHM is harder...I'd much rather do the job I know I'm good at and have a pro with the kiddo a few days a week. I also only work 3 (14hr) shifts/week, so she only needs daycare on those days, but I still think it's going to be a huge relief to get out of the house on those days...power to you, SAHMs! I just couldn't do it!
June 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Veteran
I'll be a working mom, but I would LOVE to find a job I could do from home so I don't have to leave my baby. It breaks my heart to have to miss so much while working.

I don't think either one is better or easier than the other. SAHM's work so hard! But I also work very hard at work. ???

Luckily, DH and I have opposite shifts, so we won't have to leave the baby with a babysitter/daycare for a while.

x2
June 19th, 2009, 06:14 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I am a SAHM, and working from home part time...

I have my personally feelings on this subject, and I may not agree with everyone else, but I choose whats best for OUR family and I would never bash someone for doing something I dont agree with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search