Breastfeeding question

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
I don't think that I'm going to breastfeed but I was told by someone to at least do it the first couple of days for the colostrum. Has anyone heard of just doing it briefly and if so for how many days and do you still feed the baby formula too??
June 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
*Hayley*
I think you'll form an attachment to your baby you won't want to quit on if you start breastfeeding. In other words, if you start and quit, I think you'll feel guilty. I BF my son for 9 months and it was then that I felt ready to stop and even at that point I felt a little guilty. I think BF gives you a sense of accomplishment that not many other things do.

BUT, everyone is different and not everyone enjoys BF. GL whatever you decide
June 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Snowpeas
Colostrum has many great benefits for babies - even if you decide not to continue bf'ing after that. It can really give baby a great start in life. Colostrum is all a baby needs as it's very rich and full of great stuff.

I found some articles about it:
LLLI | What is colostrum?
Colostrum - Benefits Of Colostrum
LLLI | The Importance of Colostrum

HTH
June 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I don't think I'll feel guilty at all because I'm going to formula feed. It's better for my family to formula feed. BUT I know that i will be in the hospital for 2-3 days so I'll have to absolute opportunity to breastfeed if only for the benefits of the colostrum. I don't look at it as quiting especially if I'm doing it for a definite period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightdreams86 View Post
i agree with the pp but if you just want to do it for a few days... why not make it for the 6 weeks you are home. that way they are getting the colostrum (which is for about a week until ur milk comes in) and then some of the other good stuff too.
That's possible and I may continue to do it...who knows.
June 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightdreams86 View Post
i don't think guilty is the right word.. if you have never BF before its hard to understand the bond they grows with you and the baby and to stop is the hardest thing you have to do... even at 9 months.
I know what you're getting at. Very hard to describe the feeling you get from bf'ing and the attachment that you develop for it.

Did you feel it that early? I know for me personally I didn't feel like that until I'd been bf'ing for a couple weeks. Before then I actually kind of dreaded it, but after that I was totally in love with bf'ing.
June 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post
I know what you're getting at. Very hard to describe the feeling you get from bf'ing and the attachment that you develop for it.

Did you feel it that early? I know for me personally I didn't feel like that until I'd been bf'ing for a couple weeks. Before then I actually kind of dreaded it, but after that I was totally in love with bf'ing.

You all may be right. I may end up loving bf'ing. If I do and it works for us as a whole I'll more than likely continue it. I know that I'm not totally against it because I'm continuing to weigh my options even though I FF ds. I think if I can start by saying I'll bf for 2 weeks for the benefits of the colostrum it may trigger something in me to continue after that.
June 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Snowpeas
Wow, you go girl! Olivia had formula in the hospital because she was really jaundiced (due to our different blood types and her head getting stuck so she bruised up) & they threatened to keep her and discharge me (lived an hour away) if I didn't give her formula. When she drank I felt like a failure! But it gave her horrible gas - she just screamed and screamed and I felt so bad for her. That was the last formula she ever had - she wouldn't ever take a bottle again after that. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace0183 View Post
You all may be right. I may end up loving bf'ing. If I do and it works for us as a whole I'll more than likely continue it. I know that I'm not totally against it because I'm continuing to weigh my options even though I FF ds. I think if I can start by saying I'll bf for 2 weeks for the benefits of the colostrum it may trigger something in me to continue after that.
That's a great way to look at it.
One thing about having kids that I learned - much better to go with the flow and see how things go than have definite plans. Kids are great at changing things! lol

Last edited by Snowpeas; June 18th, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
June 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can tell you that I've never BF my babies and there is no way bfing them could have given me any stronger of a bond with them, than I already have.
If you decide to ff, do NOT feel bad about it. So many people try to make you feel like a bad Mom for ff. Trust me, you are not! Both my girls (and this one will be) were FF and they are healthy, happy and smart and perfect.

June 18th, 2009, 09:55 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am extremely pro-breastfeeding. I think if you at least -try it- for a few days, and then you decide you can't do it, all the power to you. But I really hate to see women decide before they've even tried it Not to bf. The benefits of colostrum & breast milk are just too great to not try it for your child.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
June 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you ever not BF and chose to ff from the beginning? Then you don't know that the bond isn't the same. A LOT of women have told me, that chose to BF one and not the other, that the bond is the same.

Point is... do what is best for YOU and don't worry about other people. BF just wasn't for me, for many reasons.

June 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM
So does the bond come from feeding your child or from knowing that you and your milk is was is sustaining your child. You are right, I guess I can't understand the whole bond thing. I fed DS with a bottle up close to me until he was one. But I've never BF so I guess I can't understand that particular dynamic..i'm sure that there is one. I guess we just bonded because it was just me and him.
June 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Snowpeas
I don't know if bonding is the right word to use, it's really hard to explain.

I did not formula feed other than in the hospital so I have no idea what's that like. I have a ton of friends who chose to formula feed and they have great bonds with their children. I think especially when you're able to snuggle with your baby and hold them close - whether using a bottle or not that it's a wonderful feeling of closeness. The only thing that makes me cringe a little bit is when babies are just handed a bottle or it's propped up for them - and that's done all the time. I think the baby might miss out on the special closeness factor of being held, being able to smell your scent, hear that familiar heartbeat, etc, but just my opinion.

I do know when bf'ing that hormones gets released to mom and baby that are "feel good hormones." Actually the same ones you get after dtd, lol - relaxed, content, happy, etc, but not sure that I would classify it as bonding or something different.
June 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm definitely pro breast feeding so I think it's great that you're willing to do it even if only for the colostrum. Back before formula was so readily available this is how babies were fed and it's how they are meant to be fed. That's why women have breasts and make milk.

Colostrum can provide a lot of benefits for the baby and nursing at the beginning can also be very beneficial to you. It will help your uterus contract back to normal.

Another added benefit for a lot of moms (but not all) can be weight loss. In the first 3 weeks after giving birth I lost 30lbs from BF!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search