How do you pick a pediatrician?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have a list of questions to ask prospective pediatricians? I'm on the fence about the vaccine issue, so don't need to ask about that yet. Do any of your BTDT Mom's have things you like/dislike about your pedi that you could have found out in an interview?
June 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a first time mom, so I don't have an answer. My ob/gyn gave me the names of 2 pediatricians. His son goes to one of them.
June 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Snowpeas
With my dd we went to a family practioner for my pregnancy so I already knew his views and felt super comfortable with him so we chose him to be Olivia's doctor too.

This time around we live in a different area. My MIL has an appt in August with a doctor who's supposed to be really, really good so when I go with her to her appt I'm going to sneak in some questions of my own. lol He's a family practioner also.

My what to expect when you're expecting journal has a list of questions to ask a pediatrician. If you want I can type it out for you.
June 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Very helpful. Thanks!
June 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm lucky in that we didn't have to go find a pediatrician. We already see a family dr so we decided to just stay with that practice. I'd been going there since I was 4-5 years old. My parents and brother go there and now DH does as well. I love having a FP!

I'd sit down and really think about what's important to you. Figure out how you feel about feeding methods and vaccines and then try to find a Dr that seems supportive of your beliefs. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

June 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just used the ped. that was linked to the hospital and I still use them

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had my son I just used the pediatrician that he was sort of assigned to by the hospital. I quit him after the vaccine issue came up. I did first two rounds and then when I questioned him about Hep B he started giving me trouble so I left his practice. So, basically what I'm saying is even though the baby might not be getting any right this second you still need to know where any doc you choose to use stands on issues like vaccines, breastfeeding, co-sleeping etc. It's good to know these things upfront so that you can save yourself time and energy having to find someone else. Good luck!
June 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Snowpeas
You can start looking for one at any time now, weird to think about. lol
June 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I asked my friends on what Pediatrician to see.. I really like our Pediatrician.. I love that I can talk to him openly about vaccinations, etc.. He will explain everything to me.. I did however get all of Adriana's scheduled vaccinations on time and she's perfectly normal..

June 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
*Hayley*
Def. ask your OB, friends and any family members in the area. Even if you're on the fence about vaccines, youshould still discuss their opinion/policy regarding them. One of the important things for us was that the doctor was not a prescription pusher for things like colds. We also asked about after hours procedures. Don't let a doctor intimidate you, because it is YOUR child you'll be making decisions for.

We loved Cohen's first doctor in AZ, but when we moved to CA we switched insurance and we've been lucky enough to have found good doctors here as well.
June 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
billie1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone in my family goes to a family practice here and we really love our doctor. He's great with the kids and seems like he really cares about each of us.

June 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Super Mommy
You have to ask the questions of things that you are concerned about.
Are you planning on boycotting most vaccines? Many dr's don't go along with that these days.
Children need up-to-date vaccines when entering school now.
June 18th, 2009, 07:45 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Children need up-to-date vaccines when entering school now.
Most states have exemption forms the parents can file for both public and private school.
June 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
since my kids already have one its given.

But many peds will do a prenatal visit with you before you have the baby... its your time to interview them!

June 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my oldest we were military, so no choice. With my second, we had the option of using the hospital ped as our full time ped. We thought that's what we would do.... until ym daughter was born and we met her. I couldn't stand the woman!! So, I was on the hunt for a new one, I looked online, where you can see their credentials and went from there. Picked a different one, took my daughter to her (at the time she had a murmur and so we were ALWAYS at the Dr's for check up's, ekg's, etc... Didn't care too much for her either, so I kept looking. Finally found a different one, who is a ped and internal meds. I thought that was perfect considering the murmur. Took my dd to her and LOVE her! She's fantastic, doesn't make me feel stupid for asking questions, takes time to talk to my dd and warm up to her before just "doing her thing".
So, my advice.... meet them! You'll know a lot just from first impressions. DOn't be afraid to ask questions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search