MIL is a Natural Childbirth Zealot! (venting)

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
My sister and I now refer to her as "The NCZ". She is usually awesome and we usually get along SO well, but for the last month she has gone over the deep end. I originally wanted a vaginal birth with epidural but she insisted on buying me every book under the sun about natural childbirth, hypnobirthing, etc. She even forwarded me all of these "scare articles" on MRSA-1, medical mistakes, epidural complications and other hospital related infant deaths. Her latest comment was the kicker, though. I found out I have pretty significant placental previa and will probably need a c-section. Initially she tried to convince me that my OB was probably just talking me into a c-section because they'll make more money (ignoring all the actual risks of trying to push a baby out THROUGH your placenta!!!). I told her it wasn't any skin off my back if this kiddo had to be cut out. Her response..."It's a shame. Now you'll be no different than a man. You'll never experience the true power of being a woman or what a "real" pregnancy is actually like.". My response...my husband doesn't have sciatica, hemorrhoids, heartburn and round ligament pain while working 14 hours shifts with a smile on his face, so don't tell me about woman power!
June 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
How many men have had a baby ripped out through their stomach????

I hope you don't plan on having her in the room during labor (if you end up not needing the c-section). She would just completely ruin the moment from you and you don't need that negativity.

Hopefully, you're placenta will move up but even if it doesn't in the end you still get a baby! The health and safety of you and the baby is the most important so tell your MIL to stuff it.

June 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am ALL FOR natural childbirth but i really hate it when ppl try to push it on you like they know your body and like they are a doctor. tell her if she doesnt stop trying to make you go au natural that you are going to give her an epidural too

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

June 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Snowpeas
Wow!!!

That is crazy! I can understand being enthusiastic about a certain method of birth but that's just absolutely insane. And what a horrible thing to say!!!! Yikes!
June 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ ditto

that's Insane!!

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
June 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, what a pain.

June 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Erinmarie83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping over from the september DDC...this post caught my eye...

I myself would love to have a natural childbirth, but i couldnt the first time around and had absolutely no side effects or issues of any kind. You just need to look at the hard facts. There are negative side effects to an epidural but this happens in a very SMALL percentage of people.

Your MIL really needs to back off. Childbirth is a personal decision and you have made yours. I do recommend learning some coping techniques and waiting as long as possible before getting the epi. That does help to limit complications.

I dont really get along with my MIL so if she said something like that to me, i would probably cuss her out!

Thanks to HeatherW for my gorgeous siggy

Check out my handmade bows on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Erinmarie83

June 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry you have to deal with her..

I would just let it go in one ear and out the other.. Having a child with medication is no different then having a child born naturally. The child is going to be the same no matter what the situation is.. Same goes with children fed with breast milk or formula.. I always love when they try to tell me formula fed babies have a huge chance of being obese when their toddlers.. But when we compare our kids.. Adriana is a few months older but is smaller then their child and Adriana was fed formula.. go figure.. lol I always tell them genetics is always a key factor..

June 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Blue_Twinkles's Avatar Son Up 2 Son Down
Wow that was totally uncalled for! I liked your response though..simple and to the point. Hopefully she won't keep persisting and sending you unwelcomed advice.

June 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would annoy the crap out of me. I say if you want a natural childbirth, good for you. If you want an epidural or a c-section...good for you. How you choose to deliver your baby is your choice. I would send back all of the articles and books and tell her you have no choice in the matter. You need to get a c-section and all of the scare tactics in the world won't change that.
June 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, everyone knows that having a c/s automatically sprouts you your very own set of balls to scratch...making you no different than a man. Heck, I have had 2 c/s so I guess my 2 sets of balls makes me even MORE of a man than the average guy. LOL!

Gimme a break! I can't believe she said that!! What is most important is the safety of you and baby. I am so sorry that she can't see that. (((hug)))

June 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Super Mommy
Sad how ignorant people can be.
She apparently has no real knowledge of the situation.
Just let her talk.... you can laugh at her later. Although I would have rather laughed in her face! LOL Sounds like you need to have a discussion with your SO about his mommy.
Maybe she'd back off hearing it from him.
June 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG! I cant believe she said that. My mouth dropped open when I read the post. I'm sorry she is being so rude!
June 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatolots View Post
Well, everyone knows that having a c/s automatically sprouts you your very own set of balls to scratch...making you no different than a man. Heck, I have had 2 c/s so I guess my 2 sets of balls makes me even MORE of a man than the average guy. LOL!

Gimme a break! I can't believe she said that!! What is most important is the safety of you and baby. I am so sorry that she can't see that. (((hug)))
OMG! I just laughed so hard water came out my nose!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I think its really obnoxious when people try to judge people for what happens during their births, or anything about raising kids for that matter. It's none of her business, since its your child and your birth.

June 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good for you for your response to her! Sounds like she's just talking out of her butt! You know what's right for you and your baby - Uh, oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure your doctor knows what he/she is talking about. Just let it slide, in the end, it's you and your baby's safety that matters, not what she things.

Oh, and mamatolots - you crack me up!
June 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
um.... I think I would like to slap her? May I?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search