Crappiest vaca ever!! Venting....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WARNING, THIS IS LONG.....We are on "vacation" in South Carolina this week, Edisto Island. We leave on Saturday morning and I CANNOT WAIT TO LEAVE!! No offense to anyone who lives here, but I am going crazy between the GIANT nasty cockroach bugs and the amount of yuck filth in this house that we rented on the beach. I am completely grossed out. I've been getting alot of people saying "Well, that's just the way the south is", but I have a very hard time believing that. I don't think it's normal or common for people to live with bugs this big in their house. I swear, I trapped a cockroach the size of a small dog under a bowl and left it there for 10 hours until the hubster got back from fishing and killed it. He actually said "I've seen bigger" (he's from Louisianna). He said it was a Palmetto bug (nice name for HUGE GIANT COCKROACH) I guess that's why God made sure I was born and raised in Yankee territory, NJ - we don't have bugs that freakin big - they're just wrong! Not to mention the all the other disgusting bugs. Obviously I am not a bug person, but this is ridiculous! We spent A LOT of money on this house - it was supposed to be top of the line - right on the beach - one of the best they have to offer - yeah right. We got here - it was dirty - and I don't mean a little dirty - it was freakin' nasty dirty - "stuff" on the wall and floor in the bathroom next to the toilet, dead cockroach on the floor in the bathroom...filthy kitchen sink....I can go on forever. So I cleaned...which is completed bull-crap since I am supposed to be on vacation. Then I go to put in a load of laundry the next day and the washer stops working (which also smells like mold). We called and told the company and they said they would send someone out to fix it....three days later and no one has ever showed up. I am just so pissed and I need a vacation from this vacation. I have been calling it my anti-vacation. I am miserable and have cried several times. I can't believe I had to make a 12 hour car ride here for this! Not to mention one of my dogs is completely freaking out and hates it here - she won't eat. The other one loves it - he likes running on the beach. Oh, yeah...Beach? They should have said rock and shell haven - good luck trying to find normal sand. I am so done, I just want to be home on my clean couch (this one is filthy nasty)

Oh, not to mention my MIL has also been staying here - two houses down - and feels that it's OK to just show up here whenever she feels like it - along with my SIL and her kids, without even a phone call. Then she changes all the settings on my laptop (she, of course, won't fork out the extra money for internet access at her crap-shack of a "house", so she barges in here and uses mine). It took me forever to figure out what she did to it! She has been driving me crazy since we got here on Saturday - thank God she left today.

Sorry so long - but I am really freakin out! I'm pretty pissed!
June 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Veteran
poor thing!
So sorry!! And yeah, I share your opinion on the deluded that call them Palmetto bugs or tree roaches, or whatever - they are ridiculousy nasty. heebie-jeevie shivers!!!
June 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Snowpeas
So sorry it's going so badly. I would be ticked off about the dirty house for sure - that's not right!

And bugs just creep me out! I'm from the north too and when I moved to the south briefly it took me awhile to get used to the size of the bugs. I think the cold winters up north keep the bugs smaller and the nice warm weather encourages them to grow! lol I wasn't used to it but those born and raised there didn't even notice. Eventually I adjusted (kinda, lol)

Big ((Hugs))
June 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, wait - a FROG just jumped across the living room! Where the hell did that come from!?!? I am so unbelievably skeeved out!!!!!!
June 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to live in South Carolina and unfortunately the Palmetto bugs are just part of it. Some fly too so watch out. They get real bad when it rains. And just so you know no matter how clean a house is they will find a way to get in. Oh...and yeah...SC has frogs...a lot of em. I can remember walking my dog at night and occasionally stepping on one. Just part of the south...

Sorry the house was so dirty though! Hope the time passes quickly so you can get home soon!
June 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
A frog? Giant bugs? I'd be on my way back home by now!

I'm a Jersey girl too! No other beaches seem to compare to what we have here in our own state. That's why if I want to go to the beach I stay here.

I hope you're able to salvage what's left of your "vacation."

June 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I used to live in South Carolina and unfortunately the Palmetto bugs are just part of it. Some fly too so watch out. They get real bad when it rains. And just so you know no matter how clean a house is they will find a way to get in. Oh...and yeah...SC has frogs...a lot of em. I can remember walking my dog at night and occasionally stepping on one. Just part of the south...

Sorry the house was so dirty though! Hope the time passes quickly so you can get home soon!
Holy crap - I would have died if I stepped on a frog! Yeah, and it's been raining almost every night and also this morning....so, pretty much I guess I'm screwed. I don't know how anyone can get used to this....
June 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Holy crap - I would have died if I stepped on a frog! Yeah, and it's been raining almost every night and also this morning....so, pretty much I guess I'm screwed. I don't know how anyone can get used to this....
Yeah, I screamed when I stepped on that frog...it squirted up my leg..lol. My dog at the time would also eat them..or try, I would always have to yank em out of her mouth. The south is definitely an aquired taste as far as the bugs go. Other states have centipedes when it rains. Those things are fast and ugly and they will bite. Now I'm out here in the desert and the big thing is scorpions. Luckily I have never seen one, but when we move I'm scared our next house will have them. We have had a lizard in the house though...that was fun...and a snake in the garage...not fun. Ah...the critters of different areas..LOL

Hope the rain goes away!!! No fun being rained in and miserable.
June 19th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ick I am really sorry that your "vacation" is so awful! Is there any way that you'll get reimbursed by whoever you rented the house from? I would totally try cause I doubt that the pictures you saw included the filth or wildlife- thats just so gross. Would your husband let you just leave a day early? Cause it sounds like you'd have a much better time just staying home in NJ for the last day or two.

Please don't think all southerners live like that. I don't know what a Palmetto bug is but at the first appearance of anything resembling a roach or giant indoor frog I would have just turned the Uhaul around two years ago and headed back to MA, lol! Ewwww.
June 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Yes, I do remember those darn "cockroaches"! We called them "waterbugs" but darn those things could have eaten my cat!
June 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
oh my goodness!!!!

Um yah I would say crappiest vaca ever!

June 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That entire post made me LOL! I hate bugs too and I know I'd be doing the same thing.
We lived in NC for awhile, when Dh was in the service. First time I saw a d@mn roach, I FREAKED out!! They were all over and it's normal!!! NOT COOL!
Here in the North, you have roaches if you are dirty, there they are like ants and common. NO THANK YOU!!

I'm sorry you aren't enjoying your vacation! Next time go to NC, OBX. NO BUGS, beautiful beaches.

June 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
OMG, I'd be pissed too. ugh. You spend money and you should get what you pay for!!

Have you put in a complaint with the rental company?

June 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
CriscoNinja
Ewww, I hate bugs.. hate em.

Sorry your having such a crappy time, I definitely try to get some money back. Up here in MN it's just mosquitoes that drive me nuts... I'll take those over roaches any day....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search