Another Water Breaking Question!!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it really necessary for a doctor to 'break' your water if it doesn't break on it's own before labor starts? Or is it just because it speeds things up??

Because with DD my water didn't break until I was pushing, but it still broke on it's own. I would MUCH prefer that to having the doctor do it.

So - anyone know what the deal is??

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
June 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told that it just speeds things up and is not necessary. Hopefully thats correct cause I'm new at this and don't know for sure- good luck!
June 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's not really necessary, although it is often done to speed things up. If it still hasn't broken by the time you are pushing, the sac may start to bulge out of the vagina before the baby's head can be seen. In that case, they will just puncture the sac so it can drain, to avoid getting everyone splattered.

June 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
^ I was hoping you would answer

Is it really safe to puncture the sack...couldn't they hit the baby? I say heck - back up!! Its gonna blow! LOL

June 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say the risk of puncturing it while bulging is the same as having it broken as far as knocking the baby goes.

I had mine broken to start my labor with Zac. Hurt like nobodys buisness! No way anyone is doing that to me again!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope not necessary. Mine was broken to speed up the process, and because it hadn't broken on its own yet.

That's weird that yours hurt Mellie! I didn't feel anything, but a sense of relief like i'd just taken a big pee

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

June 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBellski View Post
^ I was hoping you would answer

Is it really safe to puncture the sack...couldn't they hit the baby? I say heck - back up!! Its gonna blow! LOL
Yeah, I've actually seen this done once! It looked like a fluid-filled balloon coming out before the baby - if the babies head had been against the sack, they wouldn't have done it, or they might have used an amnihook, or tried to tear it somehow.

They don't really WANT the fluid to explode everywhere if they can help it (and believe me, it can go everywhere if it breaks during a contraction!) The fluid itself is likely sterile, but you never know what it could pick up on the way out. It's pretty gross to be hit with amniotic fluid (been there, done that).

June 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
I too was told it's done to speed things up but isn't necessary...

With my son (Mason) my water broke on its own when I started to push. My entire labor for him (that I knew of/felt) was 3 hours from start to finish though.

June 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
With DD the nurse broke my water to speed things up... all it did was stop my labor Luckily I had already been given the epi when they broke it but I could feel the pressure let up. The nurse used a little pin that stuck out of the pointer finger of her glove, I thought that was pretty neat. Funny thing was an hour after she broke my water another nurse came in to check me and pushed on my belly and water shot out everywhere, I got a picture with her in her soaked scrubs lmao! With this baby I really want the whole "Omg! my water broke!" out of nowhere experience.

June 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I think it really depends on the person. Sometimes they will break the water the last few CMs cuz once the head is pushing more it will open more.

For me, labor doesn't actually START till my water is broke. So either it breaks on its own, OR they have to break it to get the contractions going.

June 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroDoula View Post
Yeah, I've actually seen this done once! It looked like a fluid-filled balloon coming out before the baby - if the babies head had been against the sack, they wouldn't have done it, or they might have used an amnihook, or tried to tear it somehow.

They don't really WANT the fluid to explode everywhere if they can help it (and believe me, it can go everywhere if it breaks during a contraction!) The fluid itself is likely sterile, but you never know what it could pick up on the way out. It's pretty gross to be hit with amniotic fluid (been there, done that).
Well yeah that makes sense...ew. lol

What if you were like in a squat? then it could break on it's own and no one would get sprayed...right?? lol I really don't want the dr to do it, I've heard its really really painful plus a friend of mine had hers broken and they scratched the babies head!

June 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Super Mommy
LOL... thats more then likely not why her babies head was scratched, they actually pop it with a plastic hook its not like they shove a knife in your vajajay.

My friends doctor never broke her water and her daughter had went to the bathroom in her she actually had to go as far as getting her chest cracked open because as soon as baby came out behind water bag she swallowed it bad. There are all kind of reasons that they do things.
June 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
AllMyBlessings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke (in Subway of all places) before my contractions started with my first.....I had her 3.5 hours after my water broke.

With my 2nd and 3rd, I lived in a different state (so different doctor). That doctor believed in letting the water break on its own (unless there was a reason it needed to be broken). With both of them I labored until my water broke. As soon as it broke I was ready to push, and they were born a few minutes later.

I changed doctors with my 4th (she's my doc with this pregnancy, too), and I found out that she likes to break the bag of water. So, that was the only time I had my water broken......I prefer to let it happen naturally, and will ask to not have it broken this time.

June 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyEliChase View Post
LOL... thats more then likely not why her babies head was scratched, they actually pop it with a plastic hook its not like they shove a knife in your vajajay.

My friends doctor never broke her water and her daughter had went to the bathroom in her she actually had to go as far as getting her chest cracked open because as soon as baby came out behind water bag she swallowed it bad. There are all kind of reasons that they do things.
Actually...it was scratched because of the doctor. Her water had already broken, but the doctor didn't think it had, so he tried to break it. And fyi it is an instrument used to puncture the sac, that could definitely cause a 'scratch.' It's not like I said they cut him open

I didn't realize we had bathrooms in our Uterus!

As for the rest of that paragraph it doesn't really make sense, so I'm gonna try and understand what you are saying...
Your friends baby passed meconium in the amniotic fluid. Her water broke as the baby was coming out, so baby inhaled some meconium. . . right? But...What do you mean she had to have her 'chest cracked open', though?

You do realize that your baby is IN that 'bag of waters' (baby came out Behind bag of water?) they aren't two separate things and actually if your water doesn't break, you could deliver the baby still in the sac. Also, generally if the delivery is a stressful one, the baby will pass his/her meconium and could inhale it either while in utero OR with it's first breath as it's born. It doesn't really have anything to do with the dr breaking or not breaking her water. What could have prevented that was the DR suctioning the baby before it took it's first breath

You are right about one thing though - dr's do these things for a reason - generally to speed things up so they can get their butts back home!! ha ha ha

June 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Super Mommy
Uhm okay, well if you know so much why did you ask the question??? LOL
My friends daughter was born in her sac of water, popped all over the doctor and out shot out baby, LITERALLY so there was no time for much... may have been doctors fault for not suctioning but it's also not safe to deliver baby in their BAG OF WATER! That baby has horrible asthma because the doctor had to open her chest in the NICU to prevent some kind of pnemonia.
You always seem to ask questions and have an attitude when people respond in ways you do not wish... but ANYWAYS... when I was at the hospital for the "tour" with my son they showed us the instrument they use to "puncture" the bag which is made of plastic with a tiny tiny needle at the end. If your friends doctor "scrattched your babies head with it" thats unfortunate but it's about as rare as your baby being born in it's sac of water. LOL
June 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had mine broken with all three of my deliveries...didn't hurt at all. But, I can't remember if I already had the epi at that point As a matter of fact, I don't remember them breaking it with Thomas at all. I know they did, but, it wasn't very eventful. they used the hook (it's like a giant crochet hook ) I personally really don't want it to break all over the floor, in the car, in the mall, at church, etc... I would be mortified :0 But, in the end, as long as baby is ok...doesn't matter to me.

June 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Super Mommy
O and p.s. -- I'm not the one usually asking questions that I already claim to know the answer to. I'm not ignorant to the fact of what pregnancy is or what's going on inside my body which is seems that you are hinting at, maybe you should spring and buy a pregnancy book.
June 21st, 2009, 09:02 AM
Quote:

^ Do you really think this was a kind and appropriate response? Because it's not, it's full of attitude & slightly degrading and offensive. I'm not stupid, thank you

Quote:
Uhm okay, well if you know so much why did you ask the question??? LOL
My friends daughter was born in her sac of water, popped all over the doctor and out shot out baby, LITERALLY so there was no time for much... may have been doctors fault for not suctioning but it's also not safe to deliver baby in their BAG OF WATER! That baby has horrible asthma because the doctor had to open her chest in the NICU to prevent some kind of pnemonia.
You always seem to ask questions and have an attitude when people respond in ways you do not wish... but ANYWAYS... when I was at the hospital for the "tour" with my son they showed us the instrument they use to "puncture" the bag which is made of plastic with a tiny tiny needle at the end. If your friends doctor "scrattched your babies head with it" thats unfortunate but it's about as rare as your baby being born in it's sac of water. LOL
^ LOL! The baby was born in the sac, the sac exploded and SHOT the baby out? Riiiiiight, that makes a lot more sense than my 'unbelievable' story about a baby getting it's head scratched by the hook & needle they use to break the sac...anyway, it's actually Not unsafe to deliver the baby in the sac, it's perfectly safe - just really rare. I've never heard of any sort of surgery being done on a newborn because of meconium aspiration. I know they use different suction methods to clean out babies airways, but I've never heard of any newborns "chest being cracked open". That's why I asked.

Quote:
O and p.s. -- I'm not the one usually asking questions that I already claim to know the answer to. I'm not ignorant to the fact of what pregnancy is or what's going on inside my body which is seems that you are hinting at, maybe you should spring and buy a pregnancy book.
I'm sorry that your answer wasn't valid to the question I asked, but it wasn't. Inhaling meconium has nothing to do with breaking or not breaking the water, like I already stated. It can happen in utero or often times with baby's first breath - because if they pass it utero, they are still swallowing, mouthing, making breathing movements, so it would be in their mouths when they come out. My DD also passed meconium in utero, but as soon as her head was out they suctioned her so she was fine.

I was asking why doctors feel the need to rupture the membranes when more often than not they will break on their own, because it doesn't really make sense to me. I like to let nature take it's course, without intervention. The simple answers: Because it speeds things up & so that doctor doesn't get soaked by it. After I asked the question - I also did a little of my own research online, and have found the same answers to be true.

Sure, I'll spring and buy you a pregnancy book - I'm sure amazon can direct ship it to your house

June 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klt View Post
I had mine broken with all three of my deliveries...didn't hurt at all. But, I can't remember if I already had the epi at that point As a matter of fact, I don't remember them breaking it with Thomas at all. I know they did, but, it wasn't very eventful. they used the hook (it's like a giant crochet hook ) I personally really don't want it to break all over the floor, in the car, in the mall, at church, etc... I would be mortified :0 But, in the end, as long as baby is ok...doesn't matter to me.
LOL see and I'm the type that thinks it would be cool to have the dramatic water breaking in the grocery store thing, but I'm also the type that would be asking someone for a mop to clean it up before I go, too! LOL I'd hate to have someone else have to clean up all that fluid. Gross!!

June 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Super Mommy
Ridiculous
My original comment hadn't been mean at all.
I don't understand the abuse for sticking up for myself. Your response to my comment could have been simple or nothing at all. I was not taking a shot at you.

Different Situations --- Apparently Different Views thats all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search