weight gain question - 23 weeks

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Veteran
Hi,

I am just looking for some reassurance - that my doctor might be wrong.

I am 5'5" and weighed 128 before this pregnancy. I just had my 23 week check-up and my weight was 137 (so up 9 lbs total in 23 weeks). My doctor told me that I am gaining weight too quickly!!!! He also said that I should gain no more than 25 lbs.

I don't think 9 lbs in 23 weeks is a lot at all, and I thought 25-35 lbs was the recommended total weight gain.

Do my doctors comments sound strange to anyone?

July 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
9 lbs in 23 weeks is nothing. I gained 8 lbs in the past month alone and no one said anything to me. Last pregnancy they were constantly stressing me out about weight and I was gaining the same amount and eating healthy.

As long as you know you're staying relatively healthy (cause there's nothing wrong with splurging every now and then), i'd ignore the comments. Your body is going to gain weight, they can't expect you to gain nothing in 23 weeks. They also can't expect your body to adhere to their requirements. I gained 40 with my last pregnancy and got 'yelled' at constantly by the nurses, but I wasn't eating much at all.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

July 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
9lbs is not alot im 25wks and up 10lbs, i dont think your gaining it fast. Maybe doc just wants to make sure you dont gain to much? But i do find it starange he would tell you that. And 25-35lb is a normal range of what a healthy women should gain. I wouldnt worry about it.

July 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Mrs.Shirley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
9lbs in 23 weeks really isn't alot at all. I'm up about 12-15lbs at 26 weeks, and not only can I not imagine my dr. complaning about that, but I know what I'd say if he did. I gained almost 70lbs with my first, and the dr. never said anything because I gained steadily and I was still eating healthy. I wouldn't let what the dr said bother you at all.
July 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
*Hayley*
I'm 24 1/2 weeks and up 20lbs and my doctor isn't concerned at all! I gained 6lbs in 3 weeks which he wasn't happy about, but he didn't make a huge deal of it.

Unless you have other health concerns, I'd say your doc is being way extreme.

FYI I had a different doctor with my DS and gained 50lbs and he was NEVER concerned about my weight at all and at the end said "well you gained a little more than we would have liked, but it'll come off". I started that pregnancy at 5'5" and 117lbs this time I started at 112lbs.
July 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
CriscoNinja
I'm up about 15 lbs at 23 weeks and I was overweight to begin with...I'm 5'5" and was 210 prepregnancy.... way more than you! lol And my doc hasn't said boo to me.

I don't know about your doc, but it sounds a little unreasonable to me... I think only 9 lbs is great! ((hugs))

Last edited by CriscoNinja; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
July 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone. I think my doctor is still going by old-school methods (he is getting really close to retirement age). Every chart I can find online says that around 12 pounds weight gain at 23 weeks is ideal.
I am just going to continue as I have been.

July 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Snowpeas
Yeah, he sounds super strict.
July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
is your doctor from the 1950's?
your weight/height pre pregnancy is ideal so i think he is being silly

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

July 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
9 pounds in 23 weeks isn't much.

July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nothing wrong with a 9 pound gain at this point - keep on doing what you're doing!

July 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
25 lbs is reccomended for those that are a little over weight to begin with. I have no idea what your weight should be for your height but I don't think 9lbs is bad at all and I'd ignore your Dr. Another reason I refuse to have a male OB. lol

July 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
look at it this way...you gain whatever you gain in the first half of pregnancy, be it 0 pounds or 10 pounds, but once you hit 20 weeks, they say to gain a pound a week till around 36 weeks when weight gain usually stops or you even lose some weight. 9 pounds is great and as long as it was gained from eating healthful foods, you shouldnt worry or beat yourself up at all. As long as you are getting some sort of exercise, walking is great, watching your portions and making smart choices (i.e. I will only have one brownie instead of 3 and I will eat an apple to take the place of the brownies that I'm NOT eating, lol) you will be fine. This is my third pregnancy and I have kind of found out that your body is going to do what it will.
July 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As of this past Tuesday ... my total weight gain has been 14 pounds ... 7 in the last month ! I was slow to gain in the beginning ... the doc says this is great and I am fine.
Keep in mind I am 6' tall ... and not tiny. I started at 244 pounds ... considered slightly overweight but at 6' tall most people don't see it. I just don't want to balloon in the last few months so I am really watching what I eat. I was kind of bad the last 2 weeks ...

July 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran
I'm up 14 lbs at 26 weeks, and supposedly that was right on track
Well, just like everything else, what's normal, anyway!?!
July 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I wouldn't worry about the weight gain to much.. I think your Dr. may be concerned that you may put on even more in the third trimester.. Which is what happened to one of my friends.. At first they said she was doing great and then they told her to stop when she hit the third trimester.. lol I think she gained a total of 40 lbs.. The funny thing was, her baby girl was only 5 lbs and she was delivered a week late.. lol

July 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think different doctors have different philosophies on weight gain - some are very strict and others don't really care unless it is unhealthy for you and the baby. I know 25-35 lbs is the normal range, but I've heard so many stories about mom's who gained 40-60 lbs and lost it all after the first 8 weeks!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search