Doctor vs midwife...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Biggest difference at the hospital: Doctors do c-sections, midwives don't. Both of my births so far and this one will be with midwives at the hospital. For me, I go natural and I like the support there, she's there from start to finish, not just coming in at the end to "catch" the baby. I know not all Obs are that way, but I'm more comfortable with a midwife.
July 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Veteran
my doctors office has 5 docs and 3 midwives. Since this is my first i don't know about delivery but I love visiting the midwife as opposed to the doc. She actually takes time to talk and se how i'm really doing and she is way more understanding the doc comes in for about 3 min does what he has to do then leaves. I definitely prefer the midwife

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!
July 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
MrsSteele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MrsSteele Send a message via Yahoo to MrsSteele
My office has 5 doctors and 2 midwifes...I prefer the midwife, she seems more concerned and personable
July 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Peytonsmomma
I go to a midwife who delivers at the hospital, she is there the whole time not just at the end, I wanted someone who knows my body and not just a quick apt.
her percentage rate of c-sections if 6% compared to the dr.'s office which is very popular down the road which is 45%
July 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
They are just awesome (midwives) and well...they are there from start to finish once you're in labor. I love the extra support and comfort they give. I love that it feels more personal since they are there with you the entire time instead of just the last 5 minutes when you deliver.

July 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My OB office has 3 doctors and one Midwife.. I personally see the doctors and not the midwife.. Because I'm high risk.. The Dr's are more knowledge able about my situation then the midwife was.. I was told I had to see her and I must say, I was not impressed.. I will not have a midwife deliver my baby.

July 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that midwifes are more personable and intimate, while an OB is very cut and dry. Some prefer the cut and dry (I do) while others want to feel a connection to the person that is delivering the baby.

I may be completely wrong, but I have heard that midwives can't do c-sections because it's not in their training, so in the off chance that something does happen that requires a c-section, an OB will be performing the operation/delivery and the midwife will not. I may be wrong though.
July 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Super Mommy
You are correct Sarah.
But to each their own right?
July 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a dr. (my regular GYN) with Hugo up until 38 weeks when she MOVED out of state. I had been rotating and saw 3 other dr's and the one midwife. I was in labor for so long that I was induced by one dr., water broken by another, and Hugo was delivered by the midwife. I had many tears and she stitched them up and I also received the postpartum care from her. I was so much happier with her (although the drs. were fine) that I kept her as my new GYN and have gone to her this whole pregnancy for Sergio.

The drs. were personable, but wanted everything done efficiently and freaked out after I passed my due date by a couple of days and scheduled my induction with Hugo. The midwife said I could go a week or two past the due date and not talk about induction as long as everything was ok.

I don't know what will happen this time, as my placenta is low and I have another u/s 7/27 to see if it has moved and talk about what if anything that would mean for delivery. If I absolutely must have a c-section because of it, I believe it will be done under the one dr. the midwife bills under but I would still do follow-up with her. I am not 100% sure about the postpartum though in a case like that. Hopefully we won't have to go there; I want as natural a birth as possible!!

July 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been to a midwife but I love my OBGYN and wouldn't dream of going to someone else!
She was at the hospital the entire time I was in labor, although not in the room the whole time, she checked on me constantly. I don't think i'd be comfortable with someone other than my husband being in my room all the time anyways

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

July 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Snowpeas
I've heard great things about midwives. I love my OB and feel that she's very competent but I really think I would love the personal angle that a midwife brings.

My doctor only spends about 3-4 minutes with me at appts now and it's very cut & dry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search