We've named our car "Christine" since it's tried to kill us...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Today was the THIRD time our car has tried to kill us!

The first time was when the brakes went out a few weeks ago. Luckily no cars were in front of us or coming from the sides.

The second time a bearing was bad and the mechanic said we had a maximum of a few miles before that thing would have failed completely and our tire would have just fallen off, driving or not, most likely causing us to flip. The scary thing is the day BEFORE we realized that something serious was wrong we were driving on the autostrada (aka freeway) at about 140km (just about 87mph). If it would have fallen off on the autostrada we would have all been killed.

Well today we were driving and it had been raining slightly. Dh took a curve, not that fast in all actuality. The car started to skid and we literally ended on the edge of a ditch with our back passenger wheel off the ground by a good 1.5 feet! Any faster and the car would have flipped in the ditch pinning us upside down in a stream of water about a foot deep!

A group of italian men (mostly older) came and we all tried to get the car unstuck, however, they were unable to. So one of them called the carabineri (italian military police) who in turn also called the US military police and a tow truck. They were able to get us out and dh was given only 2 citations from the carabineri - speed to fast for road conditions and destruction of public property (he ran over one of those reflector rubber poles). We would have received a 3rd citation for our rear tires being too low on tread but 1) we knew the US MP - he used to be a neighbor and 2) I told them I JUST took it into the AAFES Car Center and supposedly had those changed. Needless to say I was furious. When we got to post I dropped Geno off at the MP Station and headed over to the Car Care Center and raised HOLY heck! They have ordered us 2 NEW tires and are going to put them on the rear - for FREE. Turns out the idiots put them on the front tires which were perfectly good tires, even though the workorder said BACK!

Anyway, if you've made it this far in my rant, THANK YOU!

Aug. 11 is looking better and better. That is when we get our more reliable car - 1994 BMW 520i! Hopefully THAT care won't try to kill us!

Last edited by TulipDawn; July 6th, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
July 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
**Teresa**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow glad you are ok. Don't you just love cars?? I swear when it rains it pours with cars. At least it does for me and my hubby.

Thanks to auntieof3 for the wonderfull and beautifull siggy!!

July 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Snowpeas
Wow, that is so scary!!!!!!
July 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36
OMG, that's crazy!! Well be careful in "Christine" between now and August 11th!!

I'd be POD about the tires too. I'm glad they are putting them on for free. Will that get the citation reversed since you didn't know it wasn't done when you paid for it and all?

OY!!!

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that!!

Big

July 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Girl I'd stay out of that car as much as possible! Do they have much in the way of public transportation where you are? If so I'd use that as much as you can until you get the other car.

July 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
Girl I'd stay out of that car as much as possible! Do they have much in the way of public transportation where you are? If so I'd use that as much as you can until you get the other car.
No we are about 20 minutes from the city. I know they have a bus that comes out here, however, the times are sketchy and it doesn't go by the base.

We are going to stay out of it as much as possible and only go the straight ways, rather then the curvy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhappy36 View Post
OMG, that's crazy!! Well be careful in "Christine" between now and August 11th!!

I'd be POD about the tires too. I'm glad they are putting them on for free. Will that get the citation reversed since you didn't know it wasn't done when you paid for it and all?

OY!!!

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that!!

Big
Yes, they did end up dropping that citation, thankfully after we explained to them. As soon as the tires are changed and the oil is changed next week we are listing the car on the mwr website here...getting rid of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Teresa** View Post
Wow glad you are ok. Don't you just love cars?? I swear when it rains it pours with cars. At least it does for me and my hubby.
Yeah, everytime we get into this car it seems something new pops up.
July 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes. Scary! I'm glad everyone is okay.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search