would you?? *update* it gets worse!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I found this bassinet on a local buy & sell website. It's 3 years old, but its in 'perfect condition'. The thing is.... it's been RECALLED. The lady that owns it is trying to tell me the recall wasn't that big of a deal and was probably due to parents not supervising their child. . . it's a bassinet. . . to SLEEP in. How are you supposed to 'supervise' your child all through the night!? lol anyway! She says she got the repair kit, and will sell the bassinet for $80. A brand new one (without this issue) is $150. soooo....... wwyd? Take the $80 one with the repair kit? Or buy it brand new?

I'm def. thinking brand new. That looks scary

update - oh my jeez. She said her bassinet doesn't have the fold down, which is a blatant lie because all of them do (except the newer models - this is from 06) and she even states it as a feature on the Ad! Anyway, I showed her proof that it does, that I know it does and told her it is her responsibilty to be sure the prospective buyer is aware of the dangers. This is what she said to me:

Quote:
Guess what. It is MY business who or when I inform anyone about any product I am selling them - not yours. Not to mention I have already been informed about the safety piece that is necessary to go with the bassinette from the company that makes them. I have the necessary precaution piece, which is all that is needed. There is NO drop down piece on my bassinette. You leave this matter alone, or you will be reported for harassment.
... harassment? hahaha

If there wasn't a panel that dropped down, why would she need the repair kit anyway?? That was the issue ..... At least I know I did the right thing by bringing up the issue (and posting it on my FB page, since she's selling it on FB.) If she wants to mislead someone and potentially cause the death of a newborn - she's the one that's liable. Not me. But uggggh whhy do people have to be so uncaring and money hungry?

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008

Last edited by BellaBellski; July 7th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
July 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
totally not set on it, I just like the features. You are right, they have a lot of recalls though. I wish I could find a good, reasonably priced one.

July 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with not using anything simplicity. WAY too many recalls with that brand.

July 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
We had a pack'n'play w/bassinet for DD.... she HATED it. she would scream as soon as we put her down in it. We just ended up using the bassinet to hold the diapers/wipes/rash cream & then the change pad w/mobile, and ended up co-sleeping because it was the ONLY way she would sleep. I'd like a smaller bassinet that I can have right beside the bed, but they are expensive for how long you get to use them. Jeez.

July 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Try a baby wedge to raise them a little, most don't like sleeping flat.
A co-sleeper is nicer than a bassinet and they are cheaper than $150.
I keep checking craigslist to see if anything I need is on there, and yard sales. We still have awhile, thank goodness.

July 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
ooooh that makes sense. I think also, she was used to alot of contact (I hardly put her down from the minute she came out ) and the bassinet was just too roomy.
Maybe if I stuck one of these in the playpen bassinet, baby would feel more secure? or something... lol Mattea also like sleeping in her swing, she was suuch a colicky baby!! She literally cried from 10pm-4am EVERY single night for the first 2 months.

July 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Try a baby wedge to raise them a little, most don't like sleeping flat.
A co-sleeper is nicer than a bassinet and they are cheaper than $150.
I keep checking craigslist to see if anything I need is on there, and yard sales. We still have awhile, thank goodness.
I cannot find a co-sleeper cheaper than $150 ..... where are you looking?? lol

July 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I HAVE THAT BASSINET!!!!!!!!!!!

it was a hand me down, guess i need the repair kit.

edit: wow i just read the report. how do you get a repair kit, and should i just forget it all together? thats very scary.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

Last edited by mrscheriezach; July 6th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
July 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No no no!! Too dangerous! Is it even legal for her to sell it??
July 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't buy it! We bought the rain forest bassinet (used, but perfect) with the vibrating feature.. we'll see how that goes! Holden was a HUGE screamer too (7 hrs a night from reflux) and I wish we'd had a vibrating bassinet for him because he looooved his vibrating chair and spent many nights in that.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

July 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I don't think it is! But I posted on the ad that it was recalled, along with a link to the recall information for anyone that's looking at buying it. She keeps shrugging it off like it isn't really a big deal, but I certainly think it is.

her reply about my post that it was recalled:

Quote:
These were not recalled. They require a special piece that is to be placed inside the bassinette for safety of the baby, which I ordered from the company and have, for the person that wished to buy the bassinette.
... doesn't mean it wasn't recalled. Anyone can google Simplicity 4 in 1 bassinet and see the lists of recall information. So anyway I told her I didn't want it, I'd rather buy a new one and she says:

Quote:
When I bought this bassinette, it was 175.00. That was 3 years ago. I have kept it in imaculate condition since. I can offer it to you for 80.00, less than half the price, as it is in practically the same condition as it was brand new. The "safety" piece that I have for it is a precautionary measure (that you don't need to use if you don't want to), put in place by the company probably because some parent that did not watch their child, or left the child unattended in it. Which obviously happens to many good and useful items parents need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysticks View Post
I wouldn't buy it! We bought the rain forest bassinet (used, but perfect) with the vibrating feature.. we'll see how that goes! Holden was a HUGE screamer too (7 hrs a night from reflux) and I wish we'd had a vibrating bassinet for him because he looooved his vibrating chair and spent many nights in that.

My sister has that one and was going to give it to us along with the swing and then she got pregnant again sooooo now we have to go buy new stuff. harumph

July 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand. The babies head falls through the bar. How can a "repair kit" fix that? There is no way! It even says on the recalled information that no child should sleep or use a recalled bassinet as they are not safe. No where on there is there information about a repair kit. And how can you supervise a child while they are sleeping, as you said. What the heck!

These kinds of people make me mad!!
July 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I wouldn't buy it.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
July 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
No way would I buy it knowing that it had been recalled. I don't mind buying used stuff but I'm very careful when it comes to things like that because there are so many recalls. I also won't buy anymore Simplicity items.

I had the Rainforest pack n play which said Fisher Price (this was a model 2 years ago). It got recalled. It was made by Simplicity and sold under the FP name.

July 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
This comes in pink or blue..it's bassinet size but pulls right up to your bed.
Walmart.com: Arm's Reach Mini Metro Co-Sleeper Bassinet, Blush: Furniture

This also comes in pink or blue..
Walmart.com: Arm's Reach Clear-Vue Co-Sleeper Bassinet, Pink: Furniture

This one is a bit more, but still under $150. We used this with my dd and LOVED it, so we'll be buying this one for this baby.
Walmart.com: Arm's Reach - Mini Co-sleeper, Toffee Gingham: Furniture

July 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Snowpeas
I definitely wouldn't have bought it. Glad you posted a warning for others who might now be aware.

We borrowed a bassinet last time, this time we're planning on using the bassinet that came with the pack & play. I'll have to keep in mind that little sleeper thing if the bassinet feels too large for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search