Irritable Uterus - Anyone? Anyone?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I'm a long time lurker that has posted a few times, but I think I'll be coming around a bit more to post. I need some support from people who are either in my exact situation or at least pregnant and due at the same time as me. I was officially diagnosed with an irritable uterus last week when I landed myself in the hospital due to preterm labor contractions. It's the third time it has happened this pregnancy and I am just EXHAUSTED!!! Last Tuesday I started having cramps, but didn't think anything of it because cramps are normal. By evening, however, I had started having contractions that were regularly 2 minutes apart. That, in addition to pressure when I had a contraction that made my back kill and put pressure on my pelvic bone pushed me to go to the hospital to get checked out. Forunately my cervix hadn't changed and my FFN test was negative (as was the infection results), so I was left with just horribly painful cramps and contractions to deal with. Today I had a follow up appt and my cervix still hasn't changed (thank goodness!!) but my Dr said my baby is "really low" so I need to come in every week to get checked until my contractions stop.

I am just in so much pain right now and exhausted emotionally and physically from all that's going on! My back kills thanks to the pressure I feel when I contract, and so does my pubic bone, the tendons in that area, and my uterus! It's just all so sore from having labor contractions for nearly a week! This is the third time this has happened, but the other times only lasted for a few days, so this is the longest for sure, and since I have a textbook irritable uterus it's more then likely to happen again, assuming it stops soon. Ugh! This is my third baby, so I have a 3 yr old and 2 r old to take care of right now, but thankfully my husband is awesome at helping me out when he can.

Anyways.... does anyone else on here have an irritable uterus? If so, have you been having complications too? I think it must have something to do with how I carry a girl, because my first was a girl and I had similar problems (though it only happened twice), my second was a boy and I had no problems at all, and now this one's a girl and once again I'm having problems. Oy! This is hard...

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

July 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I know how you feel. Im surprised your doctor hasn't recommended some sort of rest for you, be it modified bedrest, or something like that. Thats what my doctor recommended for me, along with FFN tests, lots of fluids to keep hydrated, and to come in for terbutaline (brethine) as needed..which Ive been given once already. Try to rest and up your fluid intake for now and keep a good eye on things, you know your body best Hope you catch a break soon!

TTC#4 since 09/13 Anovulatory cycles 9/13-3/14 Clomid 50mg- No O
Current cycle 3/19/14 Clomid 100mg 3-7 Waiting to O
July 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
*Hayley*
i have not experienced that, but want to offer HUGS! I hope things get better quick. Do you know if this will cause you to have the baby early? Were your other two early?
July 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hugs.....welcome and there is lots of support here. i know there are a couple women here who can help. also try the high risk boards. but please join us you are very welcome here

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

July 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't feel alone- my uterus HATES me. My doctors call it irritable, I call it incompetent. It just doesn't agree with being pregnant.

I was hospitalized during my first pregnancy starting at 26 weeks for preterm labor, and was in and out about a dozen times after that and medicated to stop the contractions.. twice a week NSTs, all kinds of testing and being checked etc etc. It was hell on earth.

It didn't progress me into real labor, so when I started experiencing the same issues this time around (i'd hoped to avoid it, but alas, here I am).. i'm not really as concerned and neither are my doctors. It's just the way things are unfortunately.
It's not fun, but everything we tried to get them to stop last time didn't work so i've just kind of accepted that it's something I have to deal with and i'd better just get used to it.
Relaxing helps sometimes, as does water.. other than that I sadly have no advice. I wish I did!

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

July 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I've never experienced anything like that so I don't have any great advice. I just wanted to offer some support. I hope the contractions stop soon and don't come back until it's time for the baby to be born.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Please try to take it as easy as possible!

July 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I haven't had any problems so far, but in the last 2.5 weeks of my last pregnancy my uterus was irritable as well, so I can sympathize! Since I was already 36 weeks when it started, it didn't cause any complications, but I agree, it is so tiring, and the worst is, you never know when to ignore it, and when it is something "more". About the only things that I found to be helpful were to stay well hydrated so that they didn't feel any worse, and warm baths (my water bill was crazy...)

I am worried about having that happen again, since I didn't realize I was in labour until 2 hours after the contractions started, and my labour was a total of 4.5 hours.

One of my friends also had an irritable uterus in both of her pregnancies, starting around 18 weeks or so. It never caused her any complications, and she was able to deliver both of her babies very close to their due dates. I know she was told to do limited activity, since increased activity made it worse, but she didn't have to do any bed rest.

July 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Snowpeas
((hugs))
July 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm with you! Was in L&D on the 26th for 5 hours due to contractions from a UTI. Got the UTI taken care of, and was placed on pelvic rest and terbutaline. As of last week, the contractions have eased up, so I'm not taking the terb right now, BUT... will need to start any time they start up again. I was put on full bed rest with both my other kids, so I won't be surprised for it to happen this time, just hoping to avoid it if possible. Still having contractions, but I'm down to 3 an hour from 8.
July 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
billie1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to welcome you to the October DDC! I'm sorry you're going through all that...I hope it gets better for you.

July 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the "welcomes" and the well wishes! It means a lot to me right now!

Quote:
I know how you feel. Im surprised your doctor hasn't recommended some sort of rest for you, be it modified bedrest, or something like that. Thats what my doctor recommended for me, along with FFN tests, lots of fluids to keep hydrated, and to come in for terbutaline (brethine) as needed..which Ive been given once already. Try to rest and up your fluid intake for now and keep a good eye on things, you know your body best Hope you catch a break soon!
Well, my Dr DID put me on partial bedrest after I went in to the hospital last Wednesday, but after checking me again yesterday and there still wasn't any change he just told me to take it really easy. At the hospital he also perscribed me Terbutaline pills to take if my contractions started getting regular again.

Quote:
i have not experienced that, but want to offer HUGS! I hope things get better quick. Do you know if this will cause you to have the baby early? Were your other two early?
Thanks for the hugs. My other two were about 10 days early, so not preterm. I think that history has influenced my Drs decisions about this one. We're cautious because it needs to be taken seriously even though I haven't had one early yet, but he's not ordering me into the hospital or bedrest due to my history.

Quote:
Don't feel alone- my uterus HATES me. My doctors call it irritable, I call it incompetent. It just doesn't agree with being pregnant.

I was hospitalized during my first pregnancy starting at 26 weeks for preterm labor, and was in and out about a dozen times after that and medicated to stop the contractions.. twice a week NSTs, all kinds of testing and being checked etc etc. It was hell on earth.

It didn't progress me into real labor, so when I started experiencing the same issues this time around (i'd hoped to avoid it, but alas, here I am).. i'm not really as concerned and neither are my doctors. It's just the way things are unfortunately.
It's not fun, but everything we tried to get them to stop last time didn't work so i've just kind of accepted that it's something I have to deal with and i'd better just get used to it.
Relaxing helps sometimes, as does water.. other than that I sadly have no advice. I wish I did!
Oh good. It's nice to hear that someone else here has gone through (going through) this! I hear ya about the bolded! I'm not really worried this time around (though I'm cautious) because I've been through this before and at least I know what's going on. The first time I was sooo nervous because I was so in the dark about what was going on! Nothing really helps, honestly. I still try to remain hydrated and relax as much as I can because that keeps me out of more trouble, but the contractions come whether I'm relaxed, hydrated, or on drugs. Like you said, I've just come to accept that this is what my body does, though that doesn't stop me from complaining and crying about it.

Quote:
Well, I haven't had any problems so far, but in the last 2.5 weeks of my last pregnancy my uterus was irritable as well, so I can sympathize! Since I was already 36 weeks when it started, it didn't cause any complications, but I agree, it is so tiring, and the worst is, you never know when to ignore it, and when it is something "more". About the only things that I found to be helpful were to stay well hydrated so that they didn't feel any worse, and warm baths (my water bill was crazy...)
I'm confused. I thought that having an irritable uterus was a permanent thing, not something that came and went?
To the bolded, I totally agree!!! I feel like the boy who cries wolf who's always going in to L&D or calling my Dr about this happening, or I just feel like a new mother who's overly worried over the tiniest contractions! It makes me feel stupid always having to get checked! Luckily my Dr is AWESOME, and when I started to tell him this he cut me off and said that what I was doing was absolutely necessary and not ridiculous AT ALL. He made me feel better by saying that any one of these episodes COULD lead to preterm labor so it's important that I get checked every time it's happening because if it does lead to preterm labor it's important they know as soon as possible to try and stop it. But it's still annoying and tiring.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

July 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from the Sept DDC...I've been having contractions since about 11 weeks. They're considered BH's because they aren't changing my cervix, but I can have a lot during an hour. They seemed to have calmed down in the last few weeks, but for a while, it was not uncommon for me to have 10 or more contractions in an hour.

I told my doctor at 24 weeks that they'd picked up. She put me on a monitor and was surprised I wasn't having any cervical changes with the amount and length of the contractions. I've been on a terbutaline pump ever since. It looks like a diabetic's insulin pump. It administers a dose of terbutaline (a muscle relaxant) at midnight, 4:00 am, 8:00 am, noon, 3:00 pm, 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm. I also get a slow steady dose throughout the day. If I'm having a lot of contractions, am at least an hour before or after a dose, and my pulse is under 120, I can give myself an extra dose. I also have to monitor contractions for 2 hours a day and transmit the results to an assigned nurse. All of this is through a company called Alere. You may want to look into it if your contractions don't stop. I've slowed down alot, but haven't needed bed rest yet. I attribute that to my pump.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I haven't been told I have an irritable uterus, BUT I haven't called when I am contracting, cuz it seems to happen all the time and it will go away after awhile.

DH get mad, he is like you NEED to call, but I figured if im not spotting... all they are gonna say is rest and drink water.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search