Hospital Bag

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Blue_Twinkles's Avatar Son Up 2 Son Down
I brought way too much too. Honestly, I didn't use even half of what I packed. I didn't use my robe, slippers, socks, tylenol, etc ...I can't even remember what all I packed. LOL
All I really remember using was my shower stuff, toothbrush and paste, deodorant, boppy, and clothes I had brought for Spencer..like his socks and going home outfit. Oh and my going home outfit..which was a loose fitting pj set.

My labor was so fast I didn't use anything else I had brought..like my yoga ball. I remember DF going back into the house to get it while I was having contractions in the car. LOL And I remember him getting the Zune so I could listen to music while in labor..never happened. I was in too much pain to care about anything of that. But I'm the type of person that when I'm pain, I like to sit still..not move/bounce everywhere.

July 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
*Hayley*
SHAMPOO!!!!! I took a shower and couldn't wash my nasty sweaty hair, yuck.
nursing bra (because the nursing gowns they give you are NASTY) - i recommend the medela sports bra looking one, so comfortable
grandma panties
old pajama pants you don't mind getting blood on
a couple of maternity shirts or baggy shirts because, no, your stomach does not go back down right after you have the baby lol
toothbrush/toothpaste
DVDs (if your hospital has a DVD player in the rooms)
deck of cards or magazine, something to keep you busy
hard candy to suck on while you're in labor (some hospitals won't allow this)
socks

for the baby...
going home outfit
paci (newborn size of course) - you may or may not want to actually use this depending on how BFing is going, if you choose to BF
onesies
diapers (if the hospital does not provide it, although they most likely do)
vaseline if you are having him circ'd (I was able to take a ton home from the hospital, but still went through an entire jar after we got home while he healed)
July 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't have much to add to the above except the softest toilet paper money can buy. Its very worth it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree eshum07 ... I was starting to think about this is other day and wondered what I REALLY needed vs what I might need. Thanks ladies !!

July 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ive heard chapstick is handy too

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

July 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Snowpeas
What I actually used:

change of clothes for coming home (maternity)
granny panties, several pairs
nursing bra
definitely toiletries (shampoo, body wash, tooth brush & toothpaste, hair brush, etc)
camera & change of batteries
warm socks or slippers
pillows (hospital pillows are so flat & hard)

few sleepers for baby
coming home outfit
baby book for footprints
boppy
pretty blankets for background of hospital photo

Last time the hospital I was in provided tons of diapers, some wipes, a ton of pads & mesh panties, tucks pads, numbing spray, lanolin for nipples, as well as a pacifier (which we didn't use) and formula (didn't use either).

I brought a TON of stuff to get through labor but didn't use ANY of it.
I really liked the mesh panties & pads the hospital provided and I used the hospital gowns the whole time I was there.
July 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
*Hayley*
i also really liked the pads and panties the hospital provided. and i can't believe i forgot to add the baby book and camera (smacks head, DUH)
July 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know you have to wear a hospital gown when you are actually in labor - but afterwards, can you wear your own PJs? What do you suggest?

A friend of mine said (not to be vain), make sure you bring nice PJs b/c you're going to have a lot of pictures taken in them. So I went out and bought nice PJ's - but what about the bleeding, nursing, etc.? Are they going to get ruined?

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
July 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took several nightgowns, because with a c/section I didn't want a wasteband. I took slipper socks but then preferred the hospital ones because of the grippies.
I used my own shampoo and soap, deodorant, sweats to come home in, sleepers for baby, outfit for coming home and pictures, blanket for baby, boppy and I took my own pillow. Also take hairbands. Took my camera, camcorder and phone.

I used the hospital mesh panties and pads. The hospital gave me motrin and stool softeners, and anything else I needed.

July 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't forget stuff for DH too! PSP, Nintendo DS (if they're into that), snacks and/or change for vending machines, books.

Extra pillow (especially if you have one that you specifically like).

That's all I can think of to add. Everyone else pretty much covered it I think.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

July 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I would also bring your on Prenatal vitamins or any other medications your taking.. Depending on your insurance, you can use your own. I think if your on medicaid, you can't but double check. The stuff they majority use in the hospital is generic medications.. I personally like my name brand medications especially when it comes to my fish oil because I know mine a safe to take verses the cheap stuff they give at the pharmacy..

Oh, and bring a special blanket for you baby's hospital picture.. I did with my daughter and her hospital picture came out gorgeous!!

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 8th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.
July 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_D View Post
I know you have to wear a hospital gown when you are actually in labor - but afterwards, can you wear your own PJs? What do you suggest?

A friend of mine said (not to be vain), make sure you bring nice PJs b/c you're going to have a lot of pictures taken in them. So I went out and bought nice PJ's - but what about the bleeding, nursing, etc.? Are they going to get ruined?
It's really up to you. I know the first day or so after Olivia was born I was bleeding pretty heavily & wouldn't have wanted to wear a gown because my hospital gowns got so messy. But by the 2nd day it was reduced to something like a heavy period. I just wore my regular maternity clothes that I was going to wear home, for the pics that day but a gown would work too. The hospital I was at had pretty pink gowns that had slots for nursing so they were perfect for me & still looked okay during pictures.

I just wouldn't wear anything that you would absolutely NOT want to get dirty or bloody. If you don't mind go for it.
July 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'd agree with most of the above.

I also liked the hospital pads. The ones they gave me weren't supper think but they were really wide and covered the whole area that needed to be covered.

I'd suggest your own shampoo and stuff. They give you some but sometimes it feels better to pamper yourself with your own stuff.

Definitely the baby book!
Extra batteries for the camera. No sense in having the camera if the batteries die!

I'd also bring outfits in different sizes for the baby. I brought newborn stuff for DS and it was all too big even though he was almost 8lbs. A friend of mine did the same and her baby was too big for the newborn stuff so bring a variety!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search