Kick Counts

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Snowpeas
Are you doing them/plan to do them?

Some really good info from JM:

Quote:
Keeping Track of Fetal Movements
Starting around 18 weeks of pregnancy, you will begin to feel fetal movements. These kicks and movements will be easier to distinguish the further along you are. Around 28 weeks of pregnancy is a good time to start keeping track of fetal movements daily by using a kick count chart. Opinions vary from practice to practice on how to count kicks, number of kicks to count, and when you should call your doctor. Talk to your doctor about her protocol for performing kick counts.
Cardiff Count to Ten Method

The Cardiff Count to Ten method is probably the most common method for tracking fetal movements and is the method used for the fetal kick count chart below. With this method, you count kicks around the same time each day. Timing kicks about an hour after meals is best.You mark your starting time and then start counting kicks until you reach ten fetal movements. Then mark your ending time on the chart. As a general guide, you should expect ten movements within two hours, but please contact your physician for their procedure. If you notice a decrease in your baby's fetal movements a significant change in his or her activity, it is always best to check with your doctor. Decreasing fetal movement can be a sign that your baby should be evaluated and warrants a phone call
And a printable chart:
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/...ount-chart.pdf
July 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Thanks for the info. I haven't done kick counts because it always feels like she is playing that dance game in my belly. Sometimes it just feels like she is just rolling around in circles grabbing organs on the way.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

July 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
My md said not to worry about doing kick counts until 28-30 weeks since movement is more consistant then.

Not sure which they prefer though. I will ask at my next appointment which is Tuesday.
July 9th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My Dr gave me a chart at my last appoinment to start doing kick counts at 28 weeks. I haven't really looked at it yet. I've never kept a chart before.

Just wanted to add that I have just started noticing predictable kicks during the last week or so. She seems to be on the same schedule as me. LOL!

July 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was looking for a chart! Thanks for posting this!

My OB hasn't mentioned it yet, but we did talk about it at my first prenatal class, and they said to start around 30 weeks.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

July 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
My doc mentioned starting them at my next appointment.

On a side note, she seems to be kicking me really low lately. It's almost like she's kicking me in the bum sometimes. Anyone else?

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
July 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
On a side note, she seems to be kicking me really low lately. It's almost like she's kicking me in the bum sometimes. Anyone else?
I had a lot of kicking or punching & pressure down low yesterday. But today he's back to being transverse and I'm feeling it all in my hips.
July 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think my doc will tell me about kick counts during my appt on Wednesday. My LO's kicks are usually really low and in the hoo-ha - those actually hurt! Haven't felt anything up near my ribs yet, so it much be the way she is positioned.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
July 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dr said 32 weeks, but I think he just knows I stress out

I wont chart them unless I feel like baby isn't being as active as he/she should be.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
July 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Super Mommy
I hope I can distinguish a real kick from all the other movements. I donít feel the kicks too often because of the positioning of the placenta. Iíll have to ask the dr if I should even bother.
July 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith2006 View Post
I hope I can distinguish a real kick from all the other movements. I donít feel the kicks too often because of the positioning of the placenta. Iíll have to ask the dr if I should even bother.
I think any kind of movements count too, but hiccups don't
July 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
*Hayley*
with my son, the doctor's rule was 15 kicks per day, at least 4 of those had to occur within one hour. i believe he had me start keeping track at 24 weeks. this doctor hasn't mentioned them at all yet.
July 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
fishysticks's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no.. my doctor never told me to with Holden either. I got the crap beat out of my insides with Holden and even worse with this one so it's not something i've had to really even think about. If I ever did worry, i'd probably count though.

Read my blog: Holdin' Holden!!

July 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Nope I havent started... this little one had pretty regular times to be busy.

July 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't started, but mine moves around so much I don't really even think about it right now. I have my first appointment with my OB in just under two weeks, which means I'll be 30 weeks along... I'm sure we'll discuss then.
As for where the LO kicks me - it's everywhere!! Generally I feel like I get kicked on my right side, just under my ribs. I get nudged and tickled down low across my pubic bone, and right at my left hip, and then some times I get the same feeling of being kicked in the back and bum! Such a strange sensation!!
July 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had to do them. Never even had them mentioned to me.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Mama2EZ's Avatar Super Mommy
Can someone explain the hiccups feeling to me. I know they are repetitive in the same place, but could someone explain more thoroughly. What if the baby just has a good couple of kicks or punches to a favorite spot?
Ezra Ray 7lb. 7oz. born at 4:20

July 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me hiccups feel like really light taps in the same spot.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 10th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Snowpeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Can someone explain the hiccups feeling to me. I know they are repetitive in the same place, but could someone explain more thoroughly. What if the baby just has a good couple of kicks or punches to a favorite spot?
It can be difficult to realize what they are at first but it's very rythmic (occurring at set intervals) and sometimes you can even feel their little bodies jumping every time but it's not as strong/hard as a kick or a punch.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search