Working Moms/Moms-to-Be

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
**Teresa**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have any of you started looking at daycare??

With my first two I was able to stay home for a while before I went back to work. (I was real young so I didn't have an actual job.) So with this one I am planning on coming back at 6 or 8 weeks. Haven't decided which yet. And didn't know if I should start looking at daycares now. I know when I went to work with my other two it was hard to find one with an opening for even an older baby but I didn't know what it will be like with a newborn. Just thought I would see what everyone is doing.

Thanks to auntieof3 for the wonderfull and beautifull siggy!!

July 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No. With DD, DH's grandma was our caregiver while we were at work.

Now, I will be doing a career change that will allow me to work around DH's work schedule so we won't have to have any childcare if we don't want to.

I have heard that people do start looking now. Some have waiting lists that you have to get on. There are certain limitations as to how many infants a daycare can have in the cargiver:newborn ratio. I would look now and at least get familiar with the process of enrollment if it's too early still.
July 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
CohensMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Ahhh!! 6-8 weeks!!!
We get a year off, and after that I'll be taking this baby to the same place DS went up until I started sick leave a few weeks ago. She's going to hold a spot for us. It's a home daycare, and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's so personal!

xo
July 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
*Hayley*
i was @ home for the first 6 months of DS life and started looking seriously at daycares about a month before we started him. i interviewed only three places because i knew as soon as i set foot in the place we have him at that no other place would do. it's a home daycare and as the pp said, i wouldn't have it any other way.
July 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hubby and I are blessed ... we are going to be able to work shifts that will require us to only have daycare needs on Friday and Saturday ... My Mom and sister-in-law have already volunteered to take care of her on those days !

July 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We haven't started looking yet, like CohensMommy we have a year off, so after Danica is here we`ll have time to look and get ourselves on a list. Plus, we`re moving September 1st, so it`s a whole new town to get to know!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

July 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I still need to fill out the paper work at my work daycare, but I know I already have spot.. I plan on taking 3 months off and then going back to work.. But once my little boy turns 2 years old, he'll be going to my mom's child care center..

July 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We will hopefully be moving by the end of this month/early next month to our new house...which is in a different town than where we currently reside, so I won't do any serious looking until after that.

I think we will be going with a combination of my MIL watching the baby a few days a week and a private home daycare (my top preference, if possible) for the other days.

July 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Miles' Mommy's Avatar Happy 1st time mom
Send a message via AIM to Miles' Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Miles' Mommy
We started looking about a month ago and found one we like. I'm going to take of the full 12 weeks and hope that come January there is an opening. We are on a waiting list and they said we will be in by March for sure. So I have a back up day care in mind if we can't get in come January. It was hard to find one that was affordable and close to our home/ work.
Best of luck in your search.

July 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started looking around 4-5 months as well b/c didn't want to get stuck on a waiting list. I asked everyone I knew, looked in the phone book, online, etc. and visited about 6 places. I ended up choosing a place close to my work and they have plenty of room in January (after my 3 months maternity leave is up), so it worked out perfect. My DH and I have done a few "drop-ins" and just sat and observed the infant room a few times as well - just so we can get really comfortable with them. Good luck!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
July 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Veteran
We get a year off also, but I have already started looking. The waiting lists are crazy here - You have to get on a list when pregnant, and still may not be accepted when your child is a year old! I am actually really stressed out about it. The waiting lists are not so bad for home daycares, so I am going to see if I can find one near my house that would work.

July 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
**Teresa**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys! Guess I better get a move one and start looking. Ugh I just hate having to do this.

I see most of you prefer in home daycares. Does that scare you?? It always has me so my other two went to centers but here lately I have been hearing horrible stories about centers more than in home daycares. I just don't know what to do. Haven't had daycare in 3-4 years so I just really nervous this time around.

Thanks to auntieof3 for the wonderfull and beautifull siggy!!

July 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Candace0183's Avatar Veteran
LO is staying with DF's sister. Hopefully until he turns 3 and then he'll go to preschool like DS. Both of my parents are retired but my mom decided to go back to work when DS turned 2. She *MAY* decide to stop working again to help with this little one. {{{fingers crossed}}}. Daycare for infants is sooooooo expensive. They want around $230 per week. DS's school at age 3 was $145 per week.
July 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I'm actually a bit skeptical about home daycares after having visted over a dozen...I was horrified by some of them! - TVs on, smoking in the house, a cat in one of the cribs with a baby! I think it depends on the individual running it. We did find an excellent infant-only home daycare for the first year, then are transferring LO to a daycare center - it's a non-profit that is staffed mostly by people getting their Masters in early education. Most urban areas have places like that and it was definitely the most nurturing AND least expensive we could find. Definitely visit any home daycare you are consider and snoop around! Good luck!
July 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Im no help... I wouldn't know where to start for looking for child care!

Heck we don't even have a baby sitter for when we may wanna go out! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search