C-section or VBAC

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Veteran
So yesterday at my doctors appt I scheduled my c-section already for October -- I had a c-section with my first so I have the option of having a repeat c-section this time around -- even though I really want to try and avoid it at all costs-- I didn't mind the c-section its just that I would like to experience labor. So my due date is October 15th and if I don't go into labor by my due date or by at least 1 week after I will have a scheduled c-section on October 22nd at 10:15 am -- makes it all too realistic that this baby is going to be here in 3 short months.....so to all the moms out there that have gone into labor before --- how did it happen?? any tricks???? I really want to be able to have a VBAC ---

Thanks ladies!!!
July 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They scheduled your c/section for AFTER your due date? That's really odd! I've always heard they schedule before to avoid an emergency c/section. Maybe because if you go on your own, you'll try a vbac?
I went through full labor with my m/c and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I wasn't allowed any drugs because they were doing a D&C afterwards. It was painful, but not as horrible as I expected.
I'll have a repeat c/section, since this will be my 3rd a vbac is out of the question. I'll also be put under for my c/section since the spinal didn't take last itme.

July 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Snowpeas
My labor happened pretty suddenly. At my 39 week appt my cervix was high, thick, and closed and baby's head was still floating. They told me it wasn't looking very good that my body would labor on it's own. I cried all the way home.

That was on a Monday. I started having contractions on Thursday. I was in denial that they were the real thing, especially since I hadn't lost my plug or had any bloody show and baby hadn't dropped. But when I got to the hospital I was indeed in full blown labor and dilated very fast (1 to a 6 in two hours).

I've heard lots of walking can help bring the baby down & put pressure on your cervix to start to dilate, as well as dtd a lot and nipple stimulation.
July 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep. Walking, walking, and more walking. That always seems to work for me. We have tried sex. We dtd the night beofre I had our 1st but we didn't do it to try to bring on labor. I am not even sure we were told it could. But I think that is what did it.

Any other times, forget it. LOL!! Sex didn't do squat for us. But the walking would bring on contractions without fail.

Exciting! I hope you get your vbac!!

July 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Why won't they try to induce instead of just doing a c/s if you want to try for a vaginal delivery? This is my first time so I don't know much about all of this.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
July 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran
"Why won't they try to induce instead of just doing a c/s if you want to try for a vaginal delivery? This is my first time so I don't know much about all of this." Induction is really something to avoid if you can. Pitocin will throw your body into a hard labor, that it hasn't prepared for, really. With regular laboring, your body gradually works its way up, coping as you go with additional endorphins revving as needed. With pitocin, you miss out on all the great stuff your body gives you to deal.
It's very typical for induced women to need pain meds for this reason, which of course, slows down the process, necessitating more pitocin=more meds, etc, etc...
July 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies for all your imput! They scheduled my c-section for after my due date because they will not induce me because I have had a c-section already. So they will give me one week after my due date to go into labor on my own if not than I will have a section.

I will def be walking --- I really want a VBAC
July 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
My friend Ashley just had a baby two months ago, I had the wonderful opportunity of being her birth coach and it was an amazing experience to be there for a full fledged natural birth. The day after Ashley hit her expected due date, she asked me to help her naturally induce labor. I went over late afternoon and did pressure point therapy on her feet and around her ankles. This can be kind of uncomfortable but actually very effective. I'm a Licensed massage therapist though so if you want to try this after you've hit your EDD I'd go to an LMP who has experience in this area. Then I encouraged her to walk a bunch, and we took a nice stroll to the park, hung around for a while walking and enjoying husbands and kids, then walked all the way back. We were starving at this point and got some Dinner, and about the time we started eating she was beginning to feel more uncomfortable. Mostly braxton hicks contractions but nothing timeable. However, In the middle of the night she lost her mucus plug and by 3:30 am she was having regular contractions. Labor went real quick too, the surprising thing was that Serenity was born just covered in vernix (which usually fades away mostly before birth). She probably would have baked for another week but still, she was healthy and weighed in at 7 lbs 3 oz.

Anyway, this worked great for her. There are tons of other methods... spicy food, sex, tons upon tons of raspberry leaf tea, etc... but none of those worked for me when I was overdue with Rayne (came about a week and a half late). I hope you're able to have the birth experience you most desire!!

July 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Snowpeas
Great info. I did have spicy tacos with fire sauce the night before I went into labor, not sure if it was related or not. I was desperate - I HATE spicy foods. lol

I don't think they use pitocin in VBACS, do they? I think it increases the risk of rupture.
July 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post

I don't think they use pitocin in VBACS, do they? I think it increases the risk of rupture.

I had a VBAC with my daughter. It was awesome!! I went around a week late and went into labor on my own...I did have pitocin but this was 18 hours into the labor. They will and can use pitocin to augment labor but they should not and will not use it to start labor. If you have any questions about VBAC's, just let me know! BTDT and am planning on doing it again with this one!
July 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Veteran
try try try to hold out for a VBAC!!!! My bestie is going for a VBAC2 and she really wishes she would have held out for a VBAC the second time around. We found out in our research that the chance of uterine rupture is about the same as with vaginal births. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you get to deliver vaginally!!!!

BJ
July 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have only had vagi births, but I wish you a ton of luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search