Onesies vs undershirts vs rompers

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am trying to stock the dresser for the baby, but I am having a hard time figuring out what clothes to get. A couple websites/books differentiated between the following items:

4-8 bodysuits or onesies (wide head openings and loose legs)

4-8 undershirts or vests (snaps at neck or wide head openings, snaps under crotch)*

1-3 rompers or other dress-up outfits*

Especially, how does a onesie differ from an undershirt? They left snaps off the onesie description, but how else would you get it on? And to me an undershirt is just that--a shirt, no bottom. How could it snap under the crotch?

The way I see it, the different is that they both snap at the crotch, but an undershirt also snaps at the neck. I want to make sure. Also, I read that clothes should be loose around the middle until the umbilical cord falls off--is that the purpose of an undershirt?

And is a romper an outfit with legs but no feet, that snaps at the legs/crotch for changing diapers?

I suppose if I actually went to a store and looked I might figure it out.....most of the clothes I've gotten as gifts are sleepers, with a few of what I consider onesies. All snap at the crotch, some at the neck too.

Thanks....
July 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
A onesie is the traditional baby outfit that looks like a shirt but snaps in the crotch. A few companies have started making onesies that also snap up the front so you don't have to pull anything over baby's head (a lot of babies HATE that) and they are calling them all kinds of things from "Easy On Onesies" to "Undershirts"......I've even seen "Tantrum Free Tee"

But there is also the more traditional shirt that you can put on a baby that looks just like a regular shirt only in baby's size. These can either pull over the head or snap up the front (usually called side-snapping shirts or Kimonos). These are great for baby IMO. When I was taking care of my niece, we almost never used onesies unless it was part of a cute outfit - they were just more pain than anything. The snapping shirts were much easier to deal with (no fussing with them at diaper changes, no pulling over baby's head, etc) and they were great when her umbilical stump was healing because they are not tight around the middle like a onesie.

Rompers or coveralls are like sleeper only without feet (and some are more like shorts than pants). These are nice because it's all one piece so if you go somewhere and make a mess, it's an easy change. But they're a pain because there are like 8 million snaps to do up. With my niece, half the time when my brother dropped her off with me in the AM, she would be wearing a sleeper or romper that was snapped from the neck to the belly button and then hanging off like tails on a tuxedo for the rest because someone got lazy and stopped snapping

Personally, for my daughter (other than gifts) I went for snapping T's and dresses that don't pull over baby's head with little bloomers or shorts. To sleep in, I opted for sleepsacks and gowns - all easy access, no 800 snaps to do up in the middle of the night. The only thing I would change if I was having a boy is that I wouldn't put him in dresses It would just be outfits that are a T (preferably one that is easy to get on and off) and shorts or pants.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I honestly never used the side snapping shirts with Asher, we were given some at my shower for him, but I just preferred onesies and sleepers.

July 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
I think Danielle explained the difference pretty well. I personally LOVE onesies and rompers because 1. its an instant outfit and 2. because i hated when the shirts would come up and get all bunched and baby's skin would be exposed when someone picked him up. The snaps on the onesies and rompers make diaper changes easy so i never had an issue with that.

March 26th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Since all is explained thoroughly now it's time for me to say what I really like. For my little kid I like onesies also because it fits her and comfy, but I prefer baby romper and baby kimono because I find them cute and stylish. The most important thing is we should always observe if your baby likes what he/she wears each time, if your baby is comfortable and happy then that is better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search