meds 4x a day!?What!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
JordyB's Mommy's Avatar Veteran
Okay, are any of you ladies or have any of you ladies ever had to take a medicine 4 times a days? I never really have gone to the doctors before unless I got sick enough that it needed a doctor not just a 24hours bug, cold, etc and that has been twice my whole life onces for chicken pox and once for bronchititus when I was little and my friends SHARED everything. Other then that I've been extremely healthy so the meds that I've ever taken that I'm able to remember now because when I was sick I was to young to remember details back then, were vitamins which you take once a day. When I first got pregnant all the sudden @ 9 weeks I had a UTI with absolutely NO symptoms and they called in a prescription for me then called and told me so I had no say in what they prescribed and I go to pick it up and its HORSE pills twice a day, well I've never been able to swallow pills EVER and I have an EXTREMELY bad gag reflax so needless to say twice a day for a week it would take 30minutes fo me to take the stupid things. At my 20week appointment yesterday they tell me the same thing and again I have no symptoms, which is frusterating, I know we are more pron to get them while we're pregnant but seriously why don't we get the symptoms to go with it at least one. But this time they tell me while I'm there so I tell them I can't take those pills again. Well someone out here needs to come up with a pill thats safe for pregnant woman for UTI but isn't a horse pill. So she tells me okay I can prescribe a liquid instead. I said okay cool thanks sounds good. Well she didn't tell me it would be 4times a day instead of twice!! So I pick it up late last night because my schedule is very very packed right now and I have no free time, so I had to squeeze it in when I could. How in the world do you take a med every 6hours? I sleep for 10hours a night sometimes and since it has to be refrigerated that means I have to stop home every 6hours and well I don't drive so i can't just up and leave where I am and come home take it and go back especially when my husband is at work. It pretty much means I'm stuck at home for 7days when I have a lot of stuff to do not at home. And if I do have to wake up in the middle of the night to take it, I'm on the second floor in the back so I have to walk to the front of the house then down the stairs then to the back of the house to the kitchen and then back again. It seems like such a pain for something that doesn't even feel real since I have no symptoms to feel. Any tips on how to take it 4times a day? Like what times are best? I come downstairs @ 7:30am and go to bed @ 8:30pm monday through friday. And on the weekend I sleep in till 9-10am and then go to bed @ 10pm. I could use any advice anyone has!

August 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Crystal O_o's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was taking my zofran every six hours. It's not that hard, you just have to make your schedule.

As for your sleeping schedule, you can set an alarm for the 6 hour mark.

Thank you ~Vicki~ for the wonderful signature.
Check out my etsy store for handmade boutique baby items http://MistyDaysBoutique.etsy.com
August 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Veteran
I would set an alarm or crush the adult pills. You have to take the medication so frequently because most liquid medication only comes in a child dose. In order for you to get enough for an adult, you have to take much more.
August 7th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If 4x a day is a real hardship I was going to suggest asking for the pills again and cutting or crushing them too.

August 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
The most I have had was 3x a day. I guess your only choice is setting the alarm for the one during your sleeping hours.
August 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had to do this once before and found that 4am, 10am, 4pm, and 10pm worked best for me (I had to have it on an empty stomach or wait to eat.) I had to set an alarm to wake up but I had my medicine and water on my nightstand so I didn't have to go far. But being yours is in the frig sounds like you'd have to get up and take it, annoying! I found the time went quick though, good luck!

August 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Momma K's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Momma K
You just have to make the the time. You want to get better cause the UTI can cause you issues if it persists.

As far as crushing or cutting the pills, only do that if the pharmacist says it is okay. Some meds are time release and all that and CANNOT be cut or crushed because you would get a full release of meds at once instead of the long lasting release those need to work properly. Always as before altering a pill of any kind.
August 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have asked for something else... And do you have to take it 4 times a day OR every 6 hours? They are different. If it says 4 times a day I would just pack some in a cooler and take it every 4 hours or so as long as you evenly space it to make sure you get your doses in while you are awake. If it says every 6 hours I would do the same thing... but thats just me. Working in a hospital pharmacy for a long time and working retail pharmacy there are very few times where its actually necessary to wake the patient to swallow pills.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
August 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Sarah. If it says 4 times a day then that is simple....take it while you are awake..but if it says every Xhours then you are going to have to just suck it up and set an alarm or something....because the other choices are go back to the horsepills or let your UTI get so bad you have symptoms and it hurts like hell. But yea look and see is it 4'x daily or every 6 Hours.

Thank you Claire1979!
August 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
JordyB's Mommy's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowBabyGrow View Post
I would have asked for something else... And do you have to take it 4 times a day OR every 6 hours? They are different. If it says 4 times a day I would just pack some in a cooler and take it every 4 hours or so as long as you evenly space it to make sure you get your doses in while you are awake. If it says every 6 hours I would do the same thing... but thats just me. Working in a hospital pharmacy for a long time and working retail pharmacy there are very few times where its actually necessary to wake the patient to swallow pills.

It says four times a day!!! So if I take it at 7:30am, 12:30pm, 4:30pm, and then 8:30pm, it will be okay? Its just amoxicillin, and each time I take it I'm only taking a teaspoon of it. That sounds so much better then only sleeping till 2am, cause once I get up and walk downstairs take that and a drink I'll be up for the day.

August 9th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Super Mommy
I would keep it in a small freezer bag to avoid all the hassle of getting it from the frig. If you can't pull off the setting an alarm then, just take it right when you wake up, right when you go to bed, and then evenly spaced two times in the middle.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search