Induction-what is it like?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first and don't have anything to compare it to yet, but it wasn't too bad.

I was induced at 40w4d with Cervidil and was 3 cm (don't remember effacement or station). Cervidil was started at 8 am and I had to lay down for an hour so they could monitor me. I had very very mild contractions until 10 am when they broke my water. For me, that was super painful. Before the Dr. even fully withdrew the hook I was having painful contractions. They did slow down a bit and I didn't get my epidural until close to 2 pm. It took a while to progress, so they did start pit around 4pm. At 4:30pm I started pushing and pushed for almost 2.5 hours. No fun! My DD was born at 6:47 pm with the help of the vaccum. If she hadn't arrived by 7pm my Dr. said he would go for a c-section.

This time I am hoping to go into labor on my own- I guess just so I can compare the difference in the two labors. With my DD I had a lot of issues that may or may not have been related to the induction, so I want to see if I can avoid them this time by not getting induced.

Not sure if that helps or not
October 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
hoping4more
sorry never been induced. but wanted to wish you the best, and just ask him/her what you can expect, and go from there. i remember having these talks with my doctor with my first. i was 9 days late.... so we sat and talked for like 20 minutes or more i swear. he went over everything with me. very imformative.
October 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm guessing you'll have your water broken and then start pit. But it's also your choice if you want to be induced or not (as long as everything is looking good).

I was induced with the Gel and it started contractions right away. I also got to go and labor at home for 6 hours. I gave birth after 13 hrs, water broke while pushing. I'm hoping to be induced with the gel again this time.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
October 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Snowpeas
Just stopping in really quick.

I was induced and I had an absolutely awesome experience!! Pain wasn't bad. I did get the epidural but that's because the guy that did it could do it right then - otherwise it would have been a really long wait and I didn't know how strong the contractions would get. Even after they broke my water (which was awhile before the epidural) the pain wasn't bad. They said the contractions were registering at 75% and although they hurt and were uncomfortable they were definitely tolerable.

The induction was very smooth - and for me very fast. I had a 22 1/2 hour labor with dd (not induced) and this time around was 4 hours from start to finish.

I got there at 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and after three hours of pitocin was only 4-5 cm. I figured I had a LONG day ahead of me. Then I started to feel a lot of pressure and she checked me an hour after being 4-5 cm I only had a lip of cervix left & was 9.5 cm. 5 minutes later he was born.

The worst pain of the whole thing honestly? When they took the tape off my back for my epidural! That really hurt. lol

It was an awesome experience and I would do it again.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
October 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs. Brown
I have been induced with both of my sons!!! The 1st one I ws dialated to a 4 and 70% effaced. They broke my water then started me on pitocin. I was in labor for 3 1/2 hours and pushed for 1/2 hour. No pain meds at all. The 2nd one they broke my water and 3 hours later still no contractions so they stared pitocin about 3 hours later he was here!! I have nothing to compare it to as far as if it is worse than going on your own. I do know the 2nd one hurt worse but he was almost 2 lbs bigger than my 1st. GOOD LUCK!!!
(DO NOT LET THEM USE CYTOTEC!!!)

October 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Brown View Post
I have been induced with both of my sons!!! The 1st one I ws dialated to a 4 and 70% effaced. They broke my water then started me on pitocin. I was in labor for 3 1/2 hours and pushed for 1/2 hour. No pain meds at all. The 2nd one they broke my water and 3 hours later still no contractions so they stared pitocin about 3 hours later he was here!! I have nothing to compare it to as far as if it is worse than going on your own. I do know the 2nd one hurt worse but he was almost 2 lbs bigger than my 1st. GOOD LUCK!!!
(DO NOT LET THEM USE CYTOTEC!!!)

why?

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
October 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will give my induction story later, but wanted to comment on the cytotec. It's really controversial because it was and never has been approved for induction. It's a drug for ulcers I believe. It's never been FDA approved for induction and a lot of docs don't use it, but a lot of docs do. I had it used on me but I had no idea about the possible side effects at the time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search