I guess breastfeeding is a no go for me :(

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My entire pregnancy I had planned on breastfeeding. Well, looks like it's not going to happen. Besides my son having a lazy suck (that's what the lactation consultant called it), I'm not producing enough milk. My breasts are not engorged at all. There is no leaking or anything like that. I rented a hospital pump in hopes of getting things going, and am able to pump about 2 oz, but barely anything else the same day. Dh keeps pushing me to try to breastfeed. He's not understanding that the milk just isn't coming in like it should. I would think that, if I had enough milk, then I would be in pain from not breastfeeding. I would need something to stop the production of milk. I don't need anything at all. I had one day when my boobs were engorged. I pumped and have not had any engorgement since then.Any thoughts?
October 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im sorry i have no idea what to do
but i am glad to see you again!

im sure the btdt mommies here can help.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

October 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Definitely go post on the breast feeding board because they'll be a big help. Try getting some Fenugreek (you can get it at a vitamin store). You can also try eating oatmeal. Oatmeal helps to increase milk production.

Feed on demand and try not to use pacifiers. If he wants to suck let him pacify himself on you for now. That should help increase your supply. After he feeds you can also try to pump that way your body thinks you need to supply more.

October 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscheriezach View Post
im sorry i have no idea what to do
but i am glad to see you again!

im sure the btdt mommies here can help.
Thank you. I've been so busy that I've barely had any time to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
Definitely go post on the breast feeding board because they'll be a big help. Try getting some Fenugreek (you can get it at a vitamin store). You can also try eating oatmeal. Oatmeal helps to increase milk production.

Feed on demand and try not to use pacifiers. If he wants to suck let him pacify himself on you for now. That should help increase your supply. After he feeds you can also try to pump that way your body thinks you need to supply more.
Thanks for the advice. He isn't big on pacifiers, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll do the pumping after each feeding and see how that works out. Even the lactation consultant didn't seem that hopeful.
October 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
hoping4more
with my second i never leaked... so thats not a sign of anything really. with my first i leaked forever! anyway fenugreek... umm yeah it works and it works fast you dont have to wait long. def. look into buying some. my supply was low with my first and i bought that and man well you could see the difference. i would continue pumping and nursing as much as possible. how often is baby nursing? i would think every 4 hours at this point.... thats if baby is up to weight. if not then you should be nursing every 2-3 hours. try not to worry that is how i felt with my first i calle dmy friend i thought i was out of milk, it didnt even seem like i had let down when i nursed him. anyway like i said i bought the fenygreek and it made a world of a differnce. and if you really wanna nurse i bet that will get you going. also i never pumped. i tried and got no where... so it was just baby and fenugreek gnc or a vitamin store will def. have it. umm... oh and like the other person said let the baby pacify on you... gabriel was a major pacifier baby, he would stay there for at least an hour most of the time.... you dont have to go tha tfar, just saying. its funny though my second would pacify, when he was done he didtn want any more milk at all, though he wanted to pacify, so he'd get mad, but he refused a pacifier.. oh he was a tuff one. anyway good luck. and try the fenygreek
October 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Oh and if you get the Fenugreek don't worry if you start to smell like maple syrup. It can make you smell like that (your sweat and urine may smell like it).

October 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
CriscoNinja
Besides the oatmeal and fenugreek, make sure you are drinking insane amounts of water... If you're not getting enough, then your milk supply can be affected.

Good luck and I'd try to find a local Le Leche League meeting, those women can also be a lot of help. If you have your heart set on bf'ing, don't give up!! I had low supply with my first when he got sick at 4 weeks old (bad cold) and he didn't nurse as much... the oatmeal, water and fenugreek did wonders and I was back up to where I was before he was sick.
October 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't post often, but I wanted to offer lots of hugs!

With my DD I had my heart set on BFing and I tried EVERYTHING...tons of oatmeal, gallons of water, cluster feedings (3 hours at times!), pumping after every feeding and in between, pumping every 2 hours at night, Fenugreek, Domperidone (prescricption med- max dosage), warm showers or warm compresses before feeding, breast massage, etc. and the max that I ever pumped at once was 3.5 oz total. I know babies are more efficient than pumps, but I even went to the LC at the hospital and she weighed DD, had her eat off one side, weighed her again, ate off the other side and weighed her again and the LC found I only produced 2-3oz total whie BFing as well.

My DD also had a weak suck and we were dealing with jaundice, so there was no option but to give her formula. She needed to poop/pee that billirubin out and to do that she needed to be eating well and I wasn't doing enough for her. I was completely devestated and heartbroken and it killed me when we had to give her bottles at first, but she is a smart and amazing toddler now. I don't feel like I am less of a mother or deprived her in anyway b/c she ended up needing part formula/part BM (I pumped for 4 months to supplement).

Sorry to turn this in to a big long story. I hope you're able to get your supply up, but remember, if you don't you are still a GREAT mommy!
October 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
*Hayley*
fenugreek and oatmeal worked great for me. you've got some great advice here, and you may be able to get some more suggestions on the BFing board.
October 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you are sleeping on your stomach STOP! That can really hurt your supply also and make sure you are wearing a proper fitting nursing bra, if it's too tight it can be putting pressure on your milk glands. GL and hugs!
October 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
stalking from the aug 09 PR...i am a first time bf'er as well and I never leak, the only time I have ever been engorged was the day after my milk came in, and I have a very weak let down! but I EBF and my daughter is gaining weight...slowly but she is gaining. Our Pediatrician also said Brewer's yeast and/or drinking a beer a day can really help. I hate beer, and haven't gotten the BY yet because Whole Foods is an hour away so I'll get it next time I go to the city, but a friend of mine from my Bradley Class is doing brewers yeast and her daughter (who at 4w was still 1oz away from her birth weight) gained 6oz in 5 days. she also worked with LLL and it came that her daughter had a latch problem and they helped her fix it.
Don't give up, trust me - bf'ing has been the most stressful thing I have ever done, and yet I LOVE it. It is sooo rewarding to take your baby to get weighed and see they gained - even if it's only half an ounce - and knowing YOU did that for them!!

Dont give up - and the breastfeeding board and pumping boards here on JM are amazing!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I'll be sending DH to the store tomorrow to get oatmeal, fenugreek, and anything else that will help me.

Lindsay - Thanks for your post. It made me feel better.
October 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree try the Fenugreek and eat oatmeal

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

October 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice but I just wanted to post and tell you to hang in there! don't feel guilty about whatever you need to do to feed your baby. that being said I hope it works out for you the way you were planning
October 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Super Mommy
I'm hoping to BF my 2nd, however with my 1st, I really wasn't able too. I too did everything that I could (Milk Thistle, oatmeal, fenugreek, pumping...etc). I could pump 1-2 ounces (total from BOTH breasts) but that was it. I was told I had "tubular breasts." Nice huh? I gave it my all, but in the end it didn't work. You are doing the best that you can for your baby! Don't think of yourself as a failure. Trust me, I know it's tough! Hugs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search