Moby wrap anyone?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought rayon/polyester fabric to make a moby wrap. It is 5 1/2 yards long and 60 inches wide. It only needs to be 24 inches wide, so I cut it in half.

Now I have two wraps... would anyone like the other half of the fabric for $20 (includes shipping)? It was $12 a yard, so a great deal if you are in the market for rayon/polyester.

Let me know!
October 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
LOL I just went and bought fabric yesterday for the same thing! I got more of a jersey type fabric because I read that that's the best to keep it from fraying where you cut. I got lucky and found it onsale at Joann Fabrics for $3.99 a yard.

October 11th, 2009, 05:56 AM
CriscoNinja
3.99? I'm jealous!! lol I paid 5.99 but it's still waaaay cheaper than buying a moby wrap. I think I'm just going to keep both so I have one for washing, one for wearing...

I got a boring grey color so hubby would use it too, maybe I'll embellish it....
October 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I love mine! I have yet to wear it, of course, but oh my gosh! The material feels like silk! I am so glad that I got it because I have a ring sling, but I wanted something to use during the newborn stage.

After the material and all, I paid about what I would have paid for a brand new moby wrap, but I kind of got a "two-for".
October 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I would just keep the other one. Like CriscoNinja said then you have one for washing and one for wearing. That's what I'm planning to do. That way if one gets dirty I have a backup.

October 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have 2 mobys... one for the house and one for the van.... and we are happily snugged in one now!

I so wished I had found a moby LONG ago with all my other kids!

Thats awesome you made your own!

October 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah.. maybe I'll just keep it.

Quick question though. How wide is your moby? I know that it says a real moby is 24 inches wide and mine is 30 inches, but i'm curious if I should cut off the extra 6 inches or if it isn't worth the trouble.
October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to beesgirl
I just bought fabric for a moby wrap today.
I also have this wrap Baby Carrier By Sleepy Wrap | Destination Maternity
its cheaper then a Moby but similar
October 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
man I want a moby so bad I have the snugli front carrier and the peanut shell, which I used for the 1sttime yesterday.. I wish I could find some nice slings/wraps around here in the stores as I cannot make any purchases online

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
October 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
Yeah.. maybe I'll just keep it.

Quick question though. How wide is your moby? I know that it says a real moby is 24 inches wide and mine is 30 inches, but i'm curious if I should cut off the extra 6 inches or if it isn't worth the trouble.

mine are 30 inches too, i'm not too worried about it. I think I'll leave it rather than trust my cutting straight skills!
October 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
CriscoNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by little duckie View Post
man I want a moby so bad I have the snugli front carrier and the peanut shell, which I used for the 1sttime yesterday.. I wish I could find some nice slings/wraps around here in the stores as I cannot make any purchases online

A moby is just one large piece of fabric... so all you really need is around 5 yds of fabric... I got jersey knit so I don't have to worry about the ends fraying... I just have to cut it and wa-lah! So I found fabric at Joann's (which it's on sale right now for 3.99 a yard I believe - the jersey knit I mean) . I paid 5.99 a yrd so 6*5= 30 bucks for two mobys!!

Here's directions if you're interested:

Make a Wrap -- I chose to cut mine just in half instead of thirds, so mine are 30" wide.

here's a video on how to tie it
moby wrap - Google Videos

OR you can just buy one at Target I guess... lol Moby Wrap Baby Carrier- Pink : Target

Last edited by CriscoNinja; October 11th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
October 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I cannot sew nor cut nice and straight so for me buying a moby was the only option LOL

how do you all get the ends somewhat thin and rounded??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search