BTDT Moms - toddler bed

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Blue_Twinkles's Avatar Son Up 2 Son Down
We thought today we would try Spencer in his toddler bed for the first time. We just laid him down for his nap and I don't think he quite understands. He would stand up screaming and crying in his toddler bed (like he does in his crib when I lay him down) and it was worrying me because he would stumble and almost fall off the bed. I kept laying him back down and telling him it was naptime and when I would turn to leave he would stand up again. So I went over and sat him down on the bed and walked out. FYI, I did also sit there for a bit and talk to him and comfort him but the tears had already started even before I left the room the first time. DH and I stood at the door (closed) and listened for him to make sure he didn't fall or hurt himself. After a minute we heard him messing with the door knob, so we know that he knows how to get down off the bed now. He's still in there crying and I don't know if it's because this is all new to him or if this is just his regular crying routine. He was falling asleep in his highchair during lunch and normally I don't think he would be crying this hard if he was in his crib. I'm just lost and don't know what to do. I just went to check on him and he was back in his bed, sitting and crying. So I guess he knows that's where he needs to go when he sleeps.

How did you handle transitioning your toddler to their big bed? Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

October 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
*Hayley*
we didn't transition Cohen to a toddler bed, we have him in a full size bed. The mattress and box spring were here for a week before the bed frame came so during that week we made a BIG deal about how lucky he was to have a big boy bed. We also got him Dr. Seuss sheets, which is something he was familiar with because we read those books to him quite often and was able to recognize the characters. A couple times we were able to lay him on the bed for naps but mostly we just made him excited about it and would lie down together when he was wide awake.

When the frame came we stuck him in there the first night and he went to sleep and didn't make a peep all night. Nap time is way more of a struggle for us so we didn't want that to be our first impression in there by himself. The next night was more difficult as he climbed out of bed and we just kept putting him back in bed. He fell asleep within 10 minutes. The third night was great, if I remember right, and the 4th night he kept climbing out and we let him cry himself to sleep on the floor. Since then he's been really good. We just had to be consistent with him. On a rare occasion he will climb out of bed, but we just tell him it's bed time, put him back and leave. There is a gate on his doorway so he can hear us, but can't leave his room. It just needs to be routine. CIO has always worked for us. I don't know Spencer well enough to give specific advice, but this is what we did and it definitely worked for us.
October 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well with my ds we just recently bought him a toddlers bed its actually a twin and at first he was like no thats not his bed and kept reffering to his crib as his bed even though we had just put it in the babys room, but once we put his bed together and made a big deal about how cool his bed was he got excited and was happy to jump in and we just let him do whatever to let him get comfortable with the bed.

I thought it was going to be a challenge to get him to sleep in it since he can easily get off it and come straight to our room but that first night we layed him down and read him a book , it also was the 3rd night we were sleeping in our new house so he had tv and nightlight on which made it easier for him to stay in his room he layed in it fine and went to sleep but at 2am he came into our room crying and he did that for couple of days and we did let him sleep in our bed. Thats the problem we have now, there are days were he sleep thru the night and otheres were he is coming into our room. So i just started to put him in his room when he comes to ours and i lay in the bed with him and he just goes back to sleep. and wakes up at 8am and crawls in the bed with me which is fine with me because i usually wake up at that time and i just let him sleep in our bed.

You just have to make sure your are being consistant with him also maybe putting a gate by his door will probley help him to understand its nap time. and once nap time is over the gate can be removed so that he can freely go in and out of his room.

I notice too spencer is alot younger then my ds ( he will be 3 in dece) so maybe thats why it was esasier for us to transtion him into a toddlers bed. He probley dosent feel ready but im sure it will take a couple days for him to get use to the bed , i think a crib was kind of like a secruity blanket w/ds since it had the bars he felt secure in there maybe spencers feels the same way and feels like he is going to fall right off of it. which i see he did and that probley scared him even more. He just needs some time to get use to the new change and just be patient. sorry i have no real advice.

October 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Snowpeas
Olivia just got switched to a toddler bed about a month ago when she started climbing out of her crib.

I wish I had some good advice - but I really miss her sleeping in her crib! It is SO hard to get her to sleep in her bed because she knows she can just hop on out of it. What took a few minutes now takes several hours to get her to sleep as she's constantly creeping out of it and playing in her room instead of sleeping.

We just recently started rocking her to sleep. Not my first choice but she's always fought sleep to the death and she would be awake half the night fighting sleep otherwise. With rocking her she falls asleep within 5-10 minutes. Once there she will usually stay in her bed during the night and not get out until she wakes up in the morning.
October 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
hoping4more
well first do you think your son is really ready for a toddler bed? he is a bit young. i put my son jesse in at the same age however he has big brother in the same room with a toddler bed, and he was climbing in and out of his crib on his own for a while. or do you need the crib for th ebaby right away and so you need him to go into the toddler bed.
with my first son the transition was more difficult he was older and needed to go into the bed cause we were getting ready to move jesse into the bedroom with him and i needed to get jesse in the crib and out of the porta crib in our room. he was practicually one yr old and still in the porta crib so it was a needed thing to be done. i put him in the bed for nap time for a week straight, before trying to get hiom to sleep in it at night. the first 3 nights were tough. just had to let him cry to sleep. it hurts but sometimes you just have to do it, hes not huingry cold or hurt just being a toddler trying to get his way. anyway after the first three days he slept in it fine and when we put him in it at night he ended up being fine.
i would try getting him excited about the bed. buy a cool sheet if you have the money. or a cool balnket. i saved money and bought a 20 dollar fleece cars blanket for my sons toddler bed and just used a white crib sheet i already had and his white pillow case cover i already had. bedding sets are like 50 bucks at toys r us and i dont have that kind of money. all they are really interested in is the blanket anyway.
anyway in my opinion it sounds like your on the right track, even though he was crying when you checked on him he was in bed. sounds like its gonna be a few tough nights. he will get used to it. especially if this is something that needs to be done, if you absolutely need him out of the crib then he needs to learn that mommy and daddy said its time for him to use the big boy bed. i know its so tuff, but it gets better. just put the monitor on and listen and make sure hes not doing something to hurt himself. with mine it was more of a concern to leave them in teh crib cause they both were climbign out by the time we put them in beds. i would rather they fall off a toddler bed then the top rail of a crib. my son jesse just recently started crying at night time. its aweful he sits in bed and yells and screams he wants hugs and hugs and he yells bye then he just crys. mostly becasue i think he is over tired or something. but he knows he has to stay in bed he isnt allowed to run around the room. i think with us that was the most important thing. if they get out and are runnign around they could start playing and never go to bed. both my boys know that when they are put in bed, they dont get out. at first you may have to go back in there and put them back in bed and tell them mommy loves them very much but its bed time now and you must stay in your bed. after a few times they should stay. and of course the advice i was ginen was great. when you put them in there look at the clock, because sometimes they might be crying fo ronly 5 inutes but it feels like 45 minutes. watch teh clock so you know exactly how long they are crying and use your best judgement, this is your child so you know what they need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search