Question for my CD mamas

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Snowpeas
I use liners (fleece ones) for two reasons. One is for dd when I know she's going to have a bowel movement as it will just roll off the fleece and into the toilet. And if it doesn't I can just dunk the liner and not the whole diaper or insert. They also have disposable liners so that you can just toss them after a bowel movement. Liners for this purpose aren't really necessary until their poop starts to get sticky, etc.

Two is if I'm using something that isn't stay dry feeling. Such as the organic inserts for the flips. They are super absorbent but don't have the stay dry feeling. So when I put them on Josiah at night I will add a fleece liner next to his skin. The fleece will protect his skin so he won't feel the wetness.

I think you've covered the basic inserts. Microfiber works really well but it tends to get stinky a lot faster than natural fabrics. You have to really make sure there's no detergent build up and that it's well rinsed each time. Plus it's not a "natural" fabric like the cotton or hemp is so some people don't care for it for that reason either. I've actually had really good success with microfiber and haven't had any issues with them. Never have even had to strip them so far. There are microfiber towels at the auto department at Wal-Mart that you can get for super cheap that make great inserts, just fold or sew them into thirds.. Microfiber is fairly absorbent and absorbs quickly. If you're using an insert that isn't in a pocket diaper but is touching the skin (such as the flip system), you will need a liner or something between the baby and the microfiber (the stay dry inserts have fleece sewn onto one side to go against baby's skin). Microfiber directly in contact with baby's skin can cause sores since it's so absorbent it sucks up all the moisture from skin.

Hemp is also absorbent and can have stink issues although I've never had a problem with it. It holds a lot but takes a little bit of time to absorb. A great combination is a microfiber doubler, or small microfiber towel on top, and hemp on the bottom. Microfiber will absorb it fast, and then the hemp will absorb the moisture from the microfiber a little bit slower. Hemp can hold a ton and seems to be less bulky than other options.

I also have the organic cotton insert for the flips. Super, super, crazy absorbent. My 2 year old pees through pretty much anything at night but with an organic insert and a stay dry microfiber insert on top she can go 12+ hours at night and could go longer. I haven't been using them long enough to give you a lot of feedback on them, other than so far I really like them and they absorb super well. They aren't stay dry so if they're against the baby's skin they will feel the wetness. It doesn't bother Josiah though.

I've never tried the bamboo.

Doublers are a little bit of fabric to give you extra absorbency. They're great if the regular insert needs just a little help to absorb or if you know it will be a little longer than usual before you can change them. They're usually small enough that you can put them where baby needs most (e.g. in front for boys) and can give you extra protection without a lot of bulk.

hth

Last edited by Snowpeas; January 24th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search